OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Boots

Started by jrgrimmy, March 25, 2021, 08:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimspur

Quote from: Treerooster on March 27, 2021, 10:59:53 AM
Quote from: Jimspur on March 26, 2021, 10:42:35 PM
I wear LaCrosse Burly boots. Not the Alpha burly's, the regular $100
olive green Burly boots. I wear them a lot for deer hunting, scouting, and
turkey hunting. They last me about 4-5 years before the rubber cracks at the flex point in the front. I wouldn't wear them in any hill or mountain
terrain as they don't have enough ankle support for that. I also get the ones with the foam insulation. They're not too hot for turkey hunting.
I had a pair of the Grange uninsulated boots and they killed my feet after about 2 miles. I could walk all day in the Burly's, even though they're heavier they're much more comfortable. I also store them in a dark closet on a shelf to protect them from UV rays, which will deteriorate rubber.
I also like the air bob sole, grips way better than the chevron sole.

LOL. Just goes to show you how personal boots are.

I got a buddy in Wis that loves the Alpha Burlys. He lives in them. I tried them a year ago just because of him and didn't like them. Too big & clumsy for me and I wear my Grange in summer too and don't want the insulation. I still have the Burlys and use them for deer hunting from a stand or when its cold and I don't have to walk too far. If I am going to be walking for hours or all day, like for upland hunting and some turkey hunting, I take the Grange every time. Just way more comfortable for me.

It's true - everyone's feet are different and you need to find what works for you. I think a lot of it has to do with different arches in our feet.
I also don't like the Alpha Burly's anywhere near as much as the
regular Burly's.

gaswamp

le chamaeu rubber boots

Jimspur

One other reason I wear the Burly's over the Grange's is because I feel the foam insulation in the foot area might stop a snake's fang from penetrating
the boot and reaching my skin. Probably wishful thinking!

dzsmith

Even though I currently condition my lacrosse boots , and have gotten additional mileage out of them because of it. My next pair will be a pair of gum leaf boots. Higher rubber content , designed to not crack and rot like muck, lacrosse , etc.... they are pricey . They have an air cushioned sole for well. I've heard nothing but good things about them with the biggest being , they last longer than there not so complete rubber brothers and sisters.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Parrot Head

They are not cheap but I hear great things about these

https://www.lechameau.com/us/men/mens-boots/view-all.html

Cottonmouth

I wear lacrosse grange boots in the swamps and L.L. Bean Maine hunting shoes (8")in the hills.  The bean boots are the most comfortable I've tried in a while. Hard to get the right size by mail order, I wear a size 12 in everything else but size 9 in the ll beans. I guess people in Maine wear alot of socks.
I tried the Irish Setter vaprtreks and they are very comfortable but leaked from day one and only lasted 1 season before falling apart.

Turkeyman

I've had a number of them over time and have found none more comfortable than Muck...now if there's a comparable neoprene boot it may be just as comfortable. Now...the only drawback with Muck is that it's not waterproof...just very water resistant. If you were to stand in water up to the neoprene for a period of time...e.g. in a swamp or such...they will leak through. Don't think so? Get a 5 gallon pail and submerge your Muck an inch or two from the top. Check it after a period of time.

bear hunter

keen hiking boots are really good for mountainious terrain. They last good and are comfortable.

dzsmith

Oh there's a plethora of excellent hiking boots , but no matter where I've been turkey hunting anywhere on this continent. 9 out of 10 times I had to cross water . Usually at least ankle deep water . That knocks most hiking boots out. I will get my feet wet for turkey , don't get me wrong. But I prefer to keep my feet , socks , and boots dry when possible. And many rubber boots now , can be traversed in very well, with the lack of a heel and more athletic fit.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

budtripp

Bought some kennetrek mountain extremes for possible upcoming western hunts. Been breaking them in shed hunting and some of the dryer days this turkey season. No more rubber boots for me! These things make me feel like I got 4 wheel drive climbing hills, crossing ditches etc compared to all the mucks and lacrosses I've had before. Pricey yes, but I should get alot of seasons out of them compared to rubbers.

RossAnderson

I've had my Crispi Guide GTX's for 3 years now and love em. Their honestly the best boot I've ever had. Wear em everywhere, no tellin how many miles is on em now and no leakage at all. Their also the most expensive boot I've ever bought and I make sure to put the waterproofing conditioner on em regularly to keep them from drying out. Just for safe measures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Ross

jrgrimmy

Well it's time for a boot update. After all the good words about muck boots I decided to give them a try. I bought a pair of muck grit woody hunting boot. I liked the amount of rubber on the front. I thought it might help the problem I've had with wearing out the neoprene and poking holes in it. I bought them the week before season opener here in Indiana. I wore them for a couple mile hike to look for turkey sign and deer sheds. Unfortunately they rubbed my feet something terrible and I ended up with some big blisters on my heel. I returned them the next day and bought another pair of Lacrosse. The next pair will probably be a tall pair of lace up boots. Especially if I can find some that are pretty waterproof. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimspur

For mountain hunting I wear Lowa Ranger III GTX. They wear like iron.
Awesome boots.

lmbunch69

I'm still a muck fan but like every else I only get 2 years out of them. The neoprene just gets destroyed where I hunt by then. I bought a pair of uninsulated kenetreks and man are they nice. No real break in time and super comfortable. I'm prolly right around 40 miles on them total. They are actually waterproof so far. Haven't crossed anything over the top of them(10 inches) but no water has got in at all. Our opener we had maybe an inch of snow and I hunted all day between myself and with friends and they have been rock solid and dry.  Pricey but you get what you pay for.

Turkeyman

My current go-to boot for these sub 40 degree mornings is Chinook. It has a 1/4" felt liner and ties at the top. Made in USA.

When it comes to warmth IMO no boot material can compare to one which has a felt liner. My Muck boot is the backup to the Chinook. You find these online for a very reasonable price.

The one I have is that Badaxe model.