turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Heavy weight turkey fodder

Started by jrgrimmy, May 11, 2021, 08:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrgrimmy

I found a little public land spot in Indiana this year that appeared overlooked by others. It had some sign and eventually produced a gobbler the last weekend of our season. The bird weighed in a touch over 24 pounds, a personal best for me especially this late in the year. What really seemed unusual was all the skunk cabbage that the turkeys had eaten down. Every plant was half eaten that I ran across. I have never seen that before, maybe it's more common than I realize but I thought I'd share. Has anyone else seen this?  Here's a pic of the plants- and this one wasn't even eaten that bad compared to a lot of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeyman

Could you determine it was turkeys eating the skunk cabbage as opposed to something else? Did he have skunk cabbage in his craw? I always check a turkey's craw...even if it's right off the limb. Most everything will be processed by the gizzard during the night but there's usually a little residue of something or other.

jrgrimmy

The bird I shot was killed at 8:30. After he had been on the ground for a couple of hours. He had a crawl that was full  with some kind of grass seed heads and skunk cabbage. On most plants you could see the triangular beak shape. I think deer would just rip the leaf in half and munch it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk