OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Boots  (Read 4267 times)

Offline jrgrimmy

Boots
« on: March 25, 2021, 08:53:14 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good boot? I’ve been wearing lacrosse for 10 years but I can’t seem to get more than 2 seasons out of a pair. Looking for something a bit more durable. I like the boots with the neoprene upper, they seem to hold up better than just rubber boots.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
Re: Boots
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 09:02:55 PM »
Muck boots are a good water proof boot, but if your hunting any type of hill country or in the mountains I'd recommend a good leather boot with arch and ankle support.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 09:15:36 PM »
Do you use the rubber conditioner that Lacross makes?

I had a pair of Rocky snake boots I bought in 2010 that was waterproof up until 2019... I used every spring and all of bow season. Finally had to chuck them. Just bought a new pair different model same Rocky. So far so good I've been in wet grass and a bunch of small creeks this spring. I've heard alot of people say they don't stay waterproof long. They come with a one year warranty so I stuck with them. Some people don't like snake boots. I walked up on a cottonmouth today. LOL

Good luck.

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 09:50:09 PM »
Dryshod, supposedly the original muck owners?

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 11:28:42 PM »
I've worn mucks for years... Two seasons at a time. I just bought a pair of Dryshod to give a try.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 12:05:03 AM »
Start using rubber conditioner on them and they will last longer. I was in the same boat , about 2 season and I’ve have a crack of whole .... rubber boots have a higher clay content than they used to . They are designed to fail so you will keep buying them. That’s a fact. Companies like redball back in the day went out of business because there boots lasted too long because they were higher rubber content. Anyway , just google rubber boot conditioner , follow the instructions . It will keep the rubber from drying out and prevent cracking and dry rot. Obviously don’t leave them in the sun or bed of your truck .... I’ve started getting more than 2 seasons out of my lacrosse when I started using the conditioner . Easily doubles the life of the boot.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 08:39:21 AM »
I'm in the same boat with the Lacrosse's.  I love the ankle and foot support along with the aggressive lug pattern but 2 years is all I can get as well.  $150 to $200 for a pair of boots that only lasts 2 years isn't Quality in my book.  I've got a buddy that bought a pair of Irish Setters last year at Academy and he said they are very comfortable.  I'll see how they last and see what is in My future.

Offline Treerooster

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 11:25:59 AM »
I'm in the same boat with the Lacrosse's.  I love the ankle and foot support along with the aggressive lug pattern but 2 years is all I can get as well.  $150 to $200 for a pair of boots that only lasts 2 years isn't Quality in my book.  I've got a buddy that bought a pair of Irish Setters last year at Academy and he said they are very comfortable.  I'll see how they last and see what is in My future.

I like the LaCrosse Grange ankle fit boots too. I use them both spring for turkey and fall for upland hunting. They have a much smaller foot print than other rubber knee boots including LaCrosse and Muck. The Alpha series LaCrosse are like clod hoppers to me, not good for stealth in the turkey woods.  I have even hunted in LaCrosse ankle fit hip boots, walked for miles in them. Both are a very comfortable boot for me.

The problem is they don't last. Years ago LaCrosse got bought out by another company and the rubber has pretty much sucked since then. One thing I have found that helps is Balistol oil. I rub it on the boots in the spring before turkey season and in the fall before upland season. Just use my hands to rub it in as the Balistol is supposed to be good for the skin too. The oil does seem to make the boots last another year or two if applied right away and twice a year. Cost effective as the oil doesn't cost that much to buy.

BTW I buy my Grange boots for about $100 a pair. Also use the LaCrosse felt insoles in them. I can micro-fit the boot to my foot using either the 6mm or 9mm insole and they make the boot a lot more comfortable.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 11:44:53 AM »

I like the LaCrosse Grange ankle fit boots too. I use them both spring for turkey and fall for upland hunting. They have a much smaller foot print than other rubber knee boots including LaCrosse and Muck. The Alpha series LaCrosse are like clod hoppers to me, not good for stealth in the turkey woods.  I have even hunted in LaCrosse ankle fit hip boots, walked for miles in them. Both are a very comfortable boot for me.

The problem is they don't last. Years ago LaCrosse got bought out by another company and the rubber has pretty much sucked since then. One thing I have found that helps is Balistol oil. I rub it on the boots in the spring before turkey season and in the fall before upland season. Just use my hands to rub it in as the Balistol is supposed to be good for the skin too. The oil does seem to make the boots last another year or two if applied right away and twice a year. Cost effective as the oil doesn't cost that much to buy.

BTW I buy my Grange boots for about $100 a pair. Also use the LaCrosse felt insoles in them. I can micro-fit the boot to my foot using either the 6mm or 9mm insole and they make the boot a lot more comfortable.
I am in my final pair of Alpha Burlys and have a new pair of Grange boots as back ups.  I'll see how they do.  If I only get 2 years, I'll definitely be looking at other options.
Ballistol oil???  This is a CLP oil for guns and a penetrating oil.  Doesn't it deteriorate the rubber???  My boots will crack on the heels or where the ankle bends on the front of boot causing the boots to leak and then their useless in my book.

Offline jrgrimmy

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 12:35:15 PM »
Start using rubber conditioner on them and they will last longer. I was in the same boat , about 2 season and I’ve have a crack of whole .... rubber boots have a higher clay content than they used to . They are designed to fail so you will keep buying them. That’s a fact. Companies like redball back in the day went out of business because there boots lasted too long because they were higher rubber content. Anyway , just google rubber boot conditioner , follow the instructions . It will keep the rubber from drying out and prevent cracking and dry rot. Obviously don’t leave them in the sun or bed of your truck .... I’ve started getting more than 2 seasons out of my lacrosse when I started using the conditioner . Easily doubles the life of the boot.

I have never had the rubber fail on a pair of lacrosse. That's one of the reasons why I likes them. A regular pair of all rubber boots wouldn't make it 6 months. Maybe I should have mentioned I am hard on boots! I wear them year round, starting with turkey season/ mushroom hunting/ shore fishing/ dove hunting/ deer hunting/ small game hunting/ shed season and back to turkey. So they see lots of use. I was just looking to see if anyone else had any better choices. Maybe I'll try the Mucks/ Dryshod. I've been eyeing some tall 16-18" lace up boots, but I really like the ease of a slip on boot.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Offline Wisgobbler

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 12:52:03 PM »
I’ve gone completely away from rubber boots for all of my hunting. I never was happy with the fit or the weight. I liked the mucks better than the lacrosse or the Itasca but they still don’t fit to my feet as well as a good lace up boot and even they are way heavier than a good lace boot.
The only benefit that I’ve ever found in rubber boots is that they are 100% water impervious but then again, a quality boot with goretex is also waterproof.
I walk way to many miles in a turkey season up and down hills to wear heavy boots that don’t fit snuggly to my feet and ankles.  My latest pair are Danner Vitals. They are as light as a performance sneaker and fit extremely well. They are also waterproof and what’s more, breathable so that my feet won’t sweat and make me uncomfortable. If you hunt like I do in pretty vertical terrain running and gunning I’d recommend them. 
Another good boot that my son wears and likes a lot are the Irish setter Vaprtec.

Offline Wisgobbler

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 01:02:54 PM »
By the way, I just had the kid put one of each of the boots, a Danner Vital, an Irish Setter Vaprtec and an Itasca rubber boot on a digital fish scale, the Danner and the Itasca are size 12 the Irish Setter are a 13. They weigh as follows;

Irish Setter.   1.38#
Danner.         1.58#
Itasca rubber 3.78#

This is per boot. Maybe I’m getting old but I definitely appreciate a little less weight in my boots at the end of a long day. 

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 10:18:37 PM »
Can't help you on rubber boots I never found one that can handle any milage.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Jimspur

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 10:42:35 PM »
I wear LaCrosse Burly boots. Not the Alpha burly's, the regular $100
olive green Burly boots. I wear them a lot for deer hunting, scouting, and
turkey hunting. They last me about 4-5 years before the rubber cracks at the flex point in the front. I wouldn't wear them in any hill or mountain
terrain as they don't have enough ankle support for that. I also get the ones with the foam insulation. They're not too hot for turkey hunting.
I had a pair of the Grange uninsulated boots and they killed my feet after about 2 miles. I could walk all day in the Burly's, even though they're heavier they're much more comfortable. I also store them in a dark closet on a shelf to protect them from UV rays, which will deteriorate rubber.
I also like the air bob sole, grips way better than the chevron sole.

Offline Treerooster

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2021, 10:59:53 AM »
I wear LaCrosse Burly boots. Not the Alpha burly's, the regular $100
olive green Burly boots. I wear them a lot for deer hunting, scouting, and
turkey hunting. They last me about 4-5 years before the rubber cracks at the flex point in the front. I wouldn't wear them in any hill or mountain
terrain as they don't have enough ankle support for that. I also get the ones with the foam insulation. They're not too hot for turkey hunting.
I had a pair of the Grange uninsulated boots and they killed my feet after about 2 miles. I could walk all day in the Burly's, even though they're heavier they're much more comfortable. I also store them in a dark closet on a shelf to protect them from UV rays, which will deteriorate rubber.
I also like the air bob sole, grips way better than the chevron sole.

LOL. Just goes to show you how personal boots are.

I got a buddy in Wis that loves the Alpha Burlys. He lives in them. I tried them a year ago just because of him and didn't like them. Too big & clumsy for me and I wear my Grange in summer too and don't want the insulation. I still have the Burlys and use them for deer hunting from a stand or when its cold and I don't have to walk too far. If I am going to be walking for hours or all day, like for upland hunting and some turkey hunting, I take the Grange every time. Just way more comfortable for me.