OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Binoculars

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, March 12, 2021, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

My son's 17th birthday is coming up and he wants binoculars.  This was triggered by not being able to tell much about turkeys he was scouting this afternoon.  Can you give me some suggestions about good binoculars that won't break the bank?  Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

DUCKDIGGLER

bossgobbler

My suggestion is Vortex Diamondback. They are a great all around binocular. Unbelievable warranty. I have 3 pairs. One for my truck, one for my house, one for my pocket or vest for shed hunting, bow hunting, and turkey hunting. Great binoculars.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: DUCKDIGGLER on March 12, 2021, 07:16:20 PM
What is your budget?
Under $200

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: bossgobbler on March 12, 2021, 07:24:22 PM
My suggestion is Vortex Diamondback. They are a great all around binocular. Unbelievable warranty. I have 3 pairs. One for my truck, one for my house, one for my pocket or vest for shed hunting, bow hunting, and turkey hunting. Great binoculars.
I've got a pair myself.  Mine are 10x50s

DUCKDIGGLER

Under $200 I'd recommend Nikon Prostaff 7s in 8X42s. Larger filed of view....more light transmission means better image quality and easier to "hold steady".

skimerhorn

Wigsplitter

Vortex 10 by 42. Great binos for the money!!!

Snood Life

Marc

For field binoculars I do not care for the 10X and prefer 8x...  Too difficult to get a steady image with the 10x without resting them on something (at least for me).  I actually feel like it is far easier to view in the 8x, and would assume that for a young persone this would be even more true.

My very favorite field binoculars are the Cabela's Intensity HD compact 8x25.  They have surprisingly good optics, are waterproof (supposedly) and I have used them and abused them for duck and turkey hunting.  If I am hunting (or fishing) I have those binoculars on me.  Nikon, Steiner, and Vortex of similar quality will be a tad more pricey (but not much).

I had a pair of Steiner's (Predators) and I like them as well...  Similar quality to the Cabela's but considerably more expensive

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-intensity-hd-compact-binoculars

I do not deer hunt, but optics for looking at horns are a different story.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Marc on March 12, 2021, 08:36:36 PM
For field binoculars I do not care for the 10X and prefer 8x...  Too difficult to get a steady image with the 10x without resting them on something (at least for me).  I actually feel like it is far easier to view in the 8x, and would assume that for a young persone this would be even more true.

My very favorite field binoculars are the Cabela's Intensity HD compact 8x25.  They have surprisingly good optics, are waterproof (supposedly) and I have used them and abused them for duck and turkey hunting.  If I am hunting (or fishing) I have those binoculars on me.  Nikon, Steiner, and Vortex of similar quality will be a tad more pricey (but not much).

I had a pair of Steiner's (Predators) and I like them as well...  Similar quality to the Cabela's but considerably more expensive

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-intensity-hd-compact-binoculars

I do not deer hunt, but optics for looking at horns are a different story.
Thanks!  Looking at them now!

bbcoach

Vortex Diamondbacks as well.  8X42's won't shake as bad as the 10X42's but the 10X42's are a Great All around bino for turkeys and deer.  Guaranteed for life, no matter what happens to them. 

Paulmyr

What ever you do don't get auto focus. You can't see through the brush with them.  They focus on the foreground. Manual allows you to see through the foreground and focus on things behind the brush.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Kyle_Ott

I run Zeiss 10x42 Terra ED's for turkeys. 

Very solid binoculars in the $400-500 price range.

I regularly find myself looking at turkeys through binoculars at distances from 100 yards to 1 mile.  10x42 gives me the magnification needed to clearly determine the sex of a bird at the distances I mentioned and the 42mm objective provides exceptional light gathering during twilight and dusk. 

RiverBuck

Diamondbacks.. buy used off ebay.