turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Binoculars

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, March 12, 2021, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

For your inexpensive binoculars most will say Vortex, DiamondBacks are just above your $200 budget, but better binos than the Crossfires, for the few extra $$ I'd say for the kid it's worth the money.

As far as the numbers go for power and objective, I always go with 8x42, this allows you with 5.5mm of light (low light viewing) as far as 10X goes to get the same performance you would need a 52mm Objective and now you are talking a much larger binocular. 10X vs 8X... 10's will be harder to hold "still" and the slight increase in power in minimal in what you see. 8X at 80yards you view like 10yards away, 10X at 80yards view like 8yards... a 2yard difference at 80yards, that's 6 feet. 8's will always perform better in low light situations. Even at longer ranges the 8's shine, just add a zero to those numbers. 8X at 800yards you view like 100yards away, 10X at 800yards view like 80yards... a 20yard difference at 800yards, that's 60 feet.

Anything past 10X were talking spotting scopes.

Personally, I own Swarovski 8.5x42 EL's and 10x30 SLC (I found a great deal and couldn't pass them up) and my 8x42 Alaskan Guides, I have a few other cheapos but rarely if ever used... Nothing can compare to high-end precision optics, granted way beyond your price point but truly outstanding optics.

MK M GOBL

GobbleNut

Quote from: tracker#1 on October 15, 2022, 11:11:50 AM
Vortex...I work in retail and sell a lot of them with no complaints. Excellent customer base and super warranty.

Agreed.  For anybody considering different brands, my son had a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks that he had used long enough to have had beat them up pretty good.  He was getting rid of them and asked me if I wanted them,...so I took them. The seal was broken on one front lens and dust had infiltrated the internal lens affecting the clarity.  I just carried them in my truck as a spare pair for a couple of years due to that but decided to get online and see if I could return them to get them refurbished, fully expecting Vortex to tell me there would be some sort of cost for fixing them, although the site indicated there was a lifetime warranty on Vortex products.

I filled out the online form, boxed them up, and shipped them to the Vortex site indicated.  About ten days later, I got an email from them stating that they had done the necessary repairs and were sending them back to me.  Got them a couple of days ago and they look brand new (might even be).  No cost other than my shipping,...and no questions asked. 

Bottom line,...for that kind of warranty and service alone, they are well worth considering!   :icon_thumright:

jhoward11

I love the Kowa i'm using now. Lot of crisp detail. I had the vortex like others and they were good also, until the 2 German shepherds found them. THEY GONE!!! (the optics!) Dogs stay. Can't blame them for my stupidity!

Tom007

I use 2 pairs of bino's I've had for years. The larger pair are SLC 8x30's. These are great bino's, I use them for big game hunting. The Smaller sister pair is SLC 10x25 Compacts. These are my favorite, I use them for Turkey, Archery and any hunts where I want to travel light. These are really clear and steady, they will last a lifetime. And yes, they have a lifetime guarantee......