OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tick Spray

Started by mtns2hunt, March 11, 2021, 05:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Bob G. on March 11, 2021, 10:46:46 AM
I hunt in a high tick area in southern VT and have been spraying all hunting clothes, including wool, with Sawyer's Permethrin. Have not had a tick on me ever since. I get the 24 ounce bottles.

A friend of mine mixed his own version of permethrin for him and his wife. They were hunting at my camp with us a few years back. He came in camp with a few ticks on him. One got on the couch and eventually bit my GF. Luckily she didn't get Lyme disease. I'm a firm believer in Sawyer's and applying per the directions.

Martin's came in, mixed some up and hit the woods the next day. Had parked my truck in the road to hang a camera and when I climbed back in noticed two ticks crawing up my leg (I often wear kaki so easy to see.) I had just walked theough some tall grass next to the truck. Those ticks made it all of 6 inches before slowing up and falling off. Stuff really works.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Jimspur

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 22, 2021, 09:19:36 PM
I hunt in a high tick area in southern VT and have been spraying all hunting clothes, including wool, with Sawyer's Permethrin. Have not had a tick on me ever since. I get the 24 ounce bottle

A friend of mine mixed his own version of permethrin for him and his wife. They were hunting at my camp with us a few years back. He came in camp with a few ticks on him. One got on the couch and eventually bit my GF. Luckily she didn't get Lyme disease. I'm a firm believer in Sawyer's and applying per the directions.

Martin's came in, mixed some up and hit the woods the next day. Had parked my truck in the road to hang a camera and when I climbed back in noticed two ticks crawing up my leg (I often wear kaki so easy to see.) I had just walked theough some tall grass next to the truck. Those ticks made it all of 6 inches before slowing up and falling off. Stuff really works.

Good deal. I've been using the Martin's for 4 years now and mix it a little
stronger than Sawyer's. I use 1oz of Martins to about 16-17oz of water.

Haven't had a tick on me in 4 years.

tazmaniac

Buy the strongest concentrate you can get and dilute it down to 0.5 to 0.75%.  I prefer to actually mix up a gallon of the dilute and completely soak my clothing in it, then wring it out and air dry.

Stuff is phenomenal used like that.  Never got a single tick on me last year with just over 160 miles hiked in the turkey woods.

Mosquitoes in the swamps would bite through my shirt, but didn't hold on to create a huge whelp,  just a little bump before they died or left.  I'd still use DEET to keep some of the mosquitoes away.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 22, 2021, 09:19:36 PM
I hunt in a high tick area in southern VT and have been spraying all hunting clothes, including wool, with Sawyer's Permethrin. Have not had a tick on me ever since. I get the 24 ounce bottles.

When 1st started using the stuff I seen a tick on the ground. Picked it up and put on my pants leg. That thing couldn't roll of fast enough. Said to self No way that thing just fell off. Picked up again put on pants same result. Went morel hunting that afternoon with just sweats and ant shirt. My brother and I were standing in the road naked pulling ticks off each other. Turkey gear was treated sweats were not.
I was sold. Never go into woods with out it applied to clothing.
Make sure you tuck your pants into your boots and spray your gloves.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

captpete

Just a word of advise...Permethrin can been deadly to cats, especially when wet.

bbcoach

Permethrin sprayed on your clothes does not keep the ticks from getting on your clothing but they won't be there VERY LONG.  Permethrin is a neuro toxin which effects the nervous system.  When they come in contact with the fabric, they will fall off VERY QUICKLY.  Hang ALL of your hunting clothes outside (hats, gloves, socks and boots included) and liberally apply, let dry and you'll be good for about a month.  Keep some in your vehicle and touch up everything as needed.

Jimspur

Quote from: bbcoach on March 23, 2021, 07:59:56 AM
Permethrin sprayed on your clothes does not keep the ticks from getting on your clothing but they won't be there VERY LONG.  Permethrin is a neuro toxin which effects the nervous system.  When they come in contact with the fabric, they will fall off VERY QUICKLY.  Hang ALL of your hunting clothes outside (hats, gloves, socks and boots included) and liberally apply, let dry and you'll be good for about a month.  Keep some in your vehicle and touch up everything as needed.

I tested the stuff the first year I used it. About a week after I applied it
I found 2 ticks on my dog. I laid the pant leg horizontal and dropped the
2 ticks onto the fabric. They both crawled less than one inch and then
looked like they were drunk. After about one minute they were barely
moving and within a few minutes they were dead.
If these had gotten on my pants while walking they probably couldn't
have held on for 30 seconds before falling off.

That sold me on the stuff.

TRG3

I use the 10% Martin's at a rate of 2 oz./1 gallon of water, heavily spraying all clothes, boots, socks, until they are very wet. When I get out of my truck and before heading to my turkey spot, I spray my boots, pant legs, etc. with Sawyer's as a second precaution. Having done this, I may experience a tick every other year, but then again it could be a chigger that's itching.  Don't forget to spray your turkey seat as well as decoys, bag, camo blind, etc. anything that you will carry to and from your truck. Also, when cleaning your turkey realize that the bird is probably crawling with tiny deer ticks, so be cautious and don't bring the fan, wings, etc. into the house until it's been outside for several days.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: TRG3 on March 23, 2021, 10:12:33 AM
Don't forget to spray your turkey seat as well as decoys, bag, camo blind, etc. anything that you will carry to and from your truck. Also, when cleaning your turkey realize that the bird is probably crawling with tiny deer ticks, so be cautious and don't bring the fan, wings, etc. into the house until it's been outside for several days.

That's good advice. Never thought about spraying my decoy bag or blind.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Jimspur

I use the 10% Martin's at a rate of 2 oz./1 gallon of water, heavily spraying all clothes, boots, socks, until they are very wet. When I get out of my truck and before heading to my turkey spot, I spray my boots, pant legs, etc. with Sawyer's as a second precaution. Having done this, I may experience a tick every other year, but then again it could be a chigger that's itching.  Don't forget to spray your turkey seat as well as decoys, bag, camo blind, etc. anything that you will carry to and from your truck. Also, when cleaning your turkey realize that the bird is probably crawling with tiny deer ticks, so be cautious and don't bring the fan, wings, etc. into the house until it's been outside for several days.

You're making it too weak. It should be 2oz to 40oz of water.

bbcoach

Quote from: Jimspur on March 23, 2021, 01:17:06 PM

You're making it too weak. It should be 2oz to 40oz of water.
Jim is correct.  Sawyers is .5% and it is recommended to stay around .5% with your mix as well.  If you would increase your mix to .5%, you can ditch the Sawyers and save about $10 a bottle that you can mix yourself.

WisTurk

I've been using the Martin's for a few years now.  I mix between 2 and 2.5 oz per half gallon of water in a dedicated pump sprayer and spray the hell out of all my hunting clothes inside and out including all hats, gloves, boots, gobbler lounger, etc.  I'll do that a week or two before I head out for the season and it'll last all spring long, and have yet to have a single tick on me since I've been using it.  Way too much bad stuff out there that those little sh!ts carry with them.

Gobble!

Good topic. Reminded me to order some Sawyers.

bigriverbum

thanks for all the info guys. used permethrin for the 1st time last year

grew up and live in what is now, tick central. nobody worried about them at all until like 10 years ago.

had maybe a half dozen wood ticks stuck in me in my life.

last year i had my first stuck deer tick and it was under my chin and under my 4 inch beard. my wife shredded the thing trying to get it out.

never got a rash or had any symptoms. i'm pretty sure it was only attached for about a day. kinda thinking i should've gone in and gotten tested

Crotalus

Going to give the Martin's a try.

As far as spray bottles go is a clear bottle ok?  Is permethrin light sensitive?

I am planning to mix up a couple bottles to keep at home, camp, truck etc. and wanted to see if I need dark bottles.

Thanks