OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: oh that sounds nasty!  (Read 6690 times)

Offline drk9988

Re: oh that sounds nasty!
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 08:31:11 PM »
My honest opinion of the call, the back end roll of the call sounds like it's in a can, i didn't care for it myself. It's not a call i would buy... glad you like his calls. Good luck with it this spring.

It does have a bit of a hollow sound to the back end of the roll. You could get a little more pitch and probably little less of the hollow sound with a denser wood choice and probably green slate instead of grey. I actually like that I think it gives it a lovely extra dimension to the sound.. Like it's coming from within... On pot calls that you like what are you looking for on that back end? For that back end to be more sharp or pitchy? I'm genuinely curious what other folks think works for them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 08:43:38 PM by drk9988 »

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 09:00:20 PM »
My honest opinion of the call, the back end roll of the call sounds like it's in a can, i didn't care for it myself. It's not a call i would buy... glad you like his calls. Good luck with it this spring.

It does have a bit of a hollow sound to the back end of the roll. You could get a little more pitch and probably little less of the hollow sound with a denser wood choice and probably green slate instead of grey. I actually like that I think it gives it a lovely extra dimension to the sound.. Like it's coming from within... On pot calls that you like what are you looking for on that back end? For that back end to be more sharp or pitchy? I'm genuinely curious what other folks think works for them.
I look for a call i don't have to manipulate to get a good sound from, a good pot call sounds and plays good regardless the striker, but i will agree, pot's do play better with different strikers. My question to you is why would you buy a call that you have to manipulate to achieve the sound your trying to find. Why not buy the call from a builder you know, has the proper pitch and back end your looking for in rasp or less rasp and pitch. The surface, sound boards and wood you choose all play a part including the hidden tricks of the internals of the pot dimensions. I'm not going to mention pot call builder names, but i have my favorite builders that meet my expectations in achieve everything I'm looking for in pot calls.

Offline drk9988

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 09:18:41 PM »

I look for a call i don't have to manipulate to get a good sound from, a good pot call sounds and plays good regardless the striker, but i will agree, pot's do play better with different strikers. My question to you is why would you buy a call that you have to manipulate to achieve the sound your trying to find. Why not buy the call from a builder you know, has the proper pitch and back end your looking for in rasp or less rasp and pitch. The surface, sound boards and wood you choose all play a part including the hidden tricks of the internals of the pot dimensions. I'm not going to mention pot call builder names, but i have my favorite builders that meet my expectations in achieve everything I'm looking for in pot calls.

Maybe you misunderstood what I typed. I don't have to manipulate anything that is the sound I like and what I'm going for. To me that's the "proper" sound I'm looking for in that exact combo..That pitch and back end come from the metal inside and a wood that lends it self to full tone it's the combo not the call maker..I have other pots for other sounds. I like other sounds too depending on the situation, terrain or region I'm hunting. I was speaking about the wood used for the pot not the striker and I was offering up more options to maybe get less of the "in the can sound" as you called it. I like that sound and it comes from the combination of surface soundboard and pot wood...agreed.. I play any and all calls with a Rutland dymondwood striker that's what I like I don't like switching around strikers maybe only between different Rutland from different makers . Cornelius is your guy it looks like and the pots sound good. I think I understand the style you like from the few soundfiles I found linked to you... Everyone has something that works to their ears that's the fun of it for me is trying different combos.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 09:33:08 PM by drk9988 »

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 09:36:30 PM »
To the best of my knowledge this is the only stainless sound board pot call out there
Sounds really good  , maybe some miner adjustments
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2021, 09:37:38 PM »
Agree it's all about opinions, and you welcome to name the people i like to buy pot calls from. Thanks for searching my pass post as you can tell from you search i have A great taste in builders who build fine pot calls. But again i have more than one who build great sounding pot calls. I will again agree with you, it's all about what your looking for in achieving that sound your looking for in a good hunting pot call. Again you ask for opinions and that what we are all giving is just opinions. If that call you posted is your go to call that's the call you should use alone with any others you may have, but I'm not going to research your pass post to see the calls you like.. good luck this spring with your calls.

Offline hpo

• they call me Hank
    • Gobbler Down Custom Calls - Facebook page
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2021, 11:02:07 PM »
 :popcorn:

Some crazy internet hate going on here. Low post count profile (but been here for years) so I realize my opinion doesn't count.

I will say the call did not sound like slate.
Shoot'em in the Face!

Offline drk9988

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2021, 12:56:19 AM »
:popcorn:

Some crazy internet hate going on here. Low post count profile (but been here for years) so I realize my opinion doesn't count.

I will say the call did not sound like slate.

I have green and grey slate over various metals including brass,copper and now stainless..... What I like about metal under slate is the fact that you get the ease of conditioning and playing on slate but the sound of the metal mixed in... In the woods the metal soundboards translate to a very realistic sounding yelp. The birds like it too...

Offline Ol timer

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2021, 07:49:03 AM »
 Exactly :z-winnersmiley:

Offline yelpaholic

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2021, 12:41:42 PM »
to the og . dont care for it a little tinny but not like copper to me..

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2021, 04:49:59 PM »

I feel the same way Greg. Just my opinion for what is worth.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Yelper

• Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2021, 06:10:13 PM »

I didn't like the sound at all, It never did roll over to a good yelp sounded like one continuous sound and wasn't good. JMO

Offline afhunter1

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2021, 06:56:22 AM »
Sounds like someone learning to use a box call.   I wouldn’t of guessed that was a pot.    I’m a rookie though.

Offline tomfooleryy

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2021, 07:59:47 AM »
Don’t think that’s the one for me.

Offline drk9988

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2021, 05:12:15 PM »
Well that grey slate over stainless really drove the turkeys wild for our opening day.... We killed 4 gobblers by noon all on public land. Grey over stainless from John Sinclair had the gobblers going wild. I guess it's the one for me that nasty call with no rollover  ::) that sounds like a degenerate playing a box call..I believe it's a sound they have never heard and they loved it.. Carry on.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2021, 05:35:08 PM »
That's awesome  , you have a go-to call bud
Co n g r a d u l a t I o n
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field