News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Does your WAD hit the target at 40 yards? Long Beard XR 3" #5

Started by ShootingABN!, March 03, 2021, 02:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingABN!

So today at 40 yards (rangefinder).

Mossberg 930 new with factory choke .670 non-ported.

Shooting Long Beard XR 3" #5.

The WOD hit and went through the paper and cardboard target. Have you seen this before?
So the gun is new. I looked at the barrel and it was dirty from machining. There are 5-6 lines going straight done the barrel. I cleaned with a brass brush first. Then tried polishing. Which helped by the naked eye.

First shot I recovered the wod, and two of the four pieces were missing and was twenty yards away from the target. Not impressed with that pattern. Shoot 15 2 3/4 #6 game loads. Boresnaked the barrel several times.

Then shot again at 40. Pattern is not bad, but the WOD going the whole way makes me wonder?

What say you?

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ShootingABN!

Which Gun

I'm shooting 3 1/2" #5 longbeards none have reached target at 40 most around
30-35 yard mark.

captfire

AS LONG AS THE PATTERN IS GOOD I WON'T CARE WERE THE WAD HIT, BUT CRAP LIKE THAT IS WHY I STOPED USEING LONG BREADS . BITE THE BULLET AND GET YOU SOME TSS ...

ChesterCopperpot

I've had wads blow paper at 40 with LB 3" #5s. Like said above, so long as the pattern is good I don't worry about what the wad does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gmed

Used to use them all the time. I don't remember a wad ever hitting paper at that distance...seems like they all went 20-25 yards and were easy to see laying on the ground.

MK M GOBL

owlhoot

Quote from: ShootingABN! on March 03, 2021, 02:24:02 PM
So today at 40 yards (rangefinder).

Mossberg 930 new with factory choke .670 non-ported.

Shooting Long Beard XR 3" #5.

The WOD hit and went through the paper and cardboard target. Have you seen this before?
So the gun is new. I looked at the barrel and it was dirty from machining. There are 5-6 lines going straight done the barrel. I cleaned with a brass brush first. Then tried polishing. Which helped by the naked eye.

First shot I recovered the wod, and two of the four pieces were missing and was twenty yards away from the target. Not impressed with that pattern. Shoot 15 2 3/4 #6 game loads. Boresnaked the barrel several times.

Then shot again at 40. Pattern is not bad, but the WOD going the whole way makes me wonder?

What say you?
I would be a bit concerned. Not so much about the wad hitting the target, as some said if the pattern was good. But the other wad being torn up and the not good pattern.
By that I mean two shots same shells with very different results. You could try some some and see if something gets consistent . If it does not I would try a new choke. Or XX or something.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: captfire on March 03, 2021, 08:48:24 PM
AS LONG AS THE PATTERN IS GOOD I WON'T CARE WERE THE WAD HIT, BUT CRAP LIKE THAT IS WHY I STOPED USEING LONG BREADS . BITE THE BULLET AND GET YOU SOME TSS ...

New gun, last years XR. I've got Nitro 4x5x7 that will be my go to just haven't tried it yet. I went ahead and ordered an IC .660

Hobbes

Back before Longbeards hit the shelf, I had some 3 1/2" six Winchester Supremes shoot through a box at 40 yards.  The first try was a terrible pattern and looked like a slug went through.  The second shot from same box of ammo was the same thing and plastic wad just didn't look right.

I posted photos here and Allaboutshooting said that ain't right and gave me Winchester contact info.  They said, don't shoot anymore of those and please send the box back.  They replaced the one box with two and all was well.

Yours doesn't look quite the same because you actually have a pattern.  I didn't and was darn near shooting a slug.

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

bbcoach

I have experience with 2 chokes.  Indian Creek and Pure Gold.  Neither of these will hit the target at 40.  I will normally find them 25 to 30 yards out.  The IC shreds most of the petals to bits with a few strands left and the PG will peel them back GREATLY slowing the wad down Greatly.

Greg Massey

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 03, 2021, 09:22:20 PM
I've had wads blow paper at 40 with LB 3" #5s. Like said above, so long as the pattern is good I don't worry about what the wad does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2 .. i had some 20 ga. number 6 long beards doing about the same last week.. nothing to worry about..