only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

4 Mississippi hunters fined $48,000 for Kansas violations

Started by nativeks, February 26, 2021, 04:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falltoms

3chunter

What they did was idiotic. Yes. 
But how can they be banned from hunting by the world.  Sorry but the U. S doesn't dictate what someone can or can't do in another country.  I have an issue with this statement.  This world isn't a global communist world yet.

bbcoach

Quote from: 3chunter on February 26, 2021, 11:29:06 PM
But how can they be banned from hunting by the world.  Sorry but the U. S doesn't dictate what someone can or can't do in another country.  I have an issue with this statement.  This world isn't a global communist world yet.
Agree.  THIS WON'T STOP THEM!  These guys are LIFETIME CRIMINALS.  I can guarantee you this wasn't the first time they did this, IT WAS THE FIRST TIME THEY GOT CAUGHT!  I find it odd that the fines weren't HIGHER and they didn't get prison time.

rstewart8706

I'm pissed off they were referred to as hunters.  They ain't hunters, they are poachers.  HUGE difference.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: rstewart8706 on February 27, 2021, 07:21:19 AM
I'm pissed off they were referred to as hunters.  They ain't hunters, they are poachers.  HUGE difference.
Completely agree!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

PalmettoRon

Thankfully these hogs probably got caught by posting on social media. I talked to a state wildlife official. They are actively monitoring social media to catch some of these morons. However, this will not stop them. How many drunks continue to operate vehicles despite several offenses for DUI? Only when they kill someone do they typically get jail time.

Happy

Glad they got caught. I really dislike poachers. That and people who waste meat are 2 things that really set me off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Bowguy

Quote from: fallhnt on February 26, 2021, 07:20:52 PM
This won't stop them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It never does. What do they have to lose now.

3chunter

Quote from: bbcoach on February 27, 2021, 07:04:28 AM
Agree.  THIS WON'T STOP THEM!  These guys are LIFETIME CRIMINALS.  I can guarantee you this wasn't the first time they did this, IT WAS THE FIRST TIME THEY GOT CAUGHT!  I find it odd that the fines weren't HIGHER and they didn't get prison time.

No way to know they are lifetime criminals.  Lots of situations may not be dealt with the same way.  I don't know the specifics.  But every case if different.  Did they eat the meat?  Do they spend thousands of dollars donating the conservation organizations?  Who knows but every situation is different as is punishment.   Who am I to say ban them from the world and not be able to even go in the woods to call a turkey.  Again don't know specifics.  I try not to pass judgement without all facts.  48,000 in fines are heafty to the average 4 people.  Does a guy with dui who hurts a person get the punishment of not driving for 5 years and paying this much in fines?  Probably close to what these guys did but they didn't hurt or kill anyone so does the punishment really match the crime?  I don't know.
Killing too many of something animal wise in my opinion should never rival punishment of other things like armed robbery or assault or dui injury.  Just my opinion.
Does someone thoughts change if these guys owned 5000 acres and spent thousands on conservation every year.  It sure would make some difference in the overall picture to me atleast.  Doesn't make what they did ok but other factors matter to me.  Again these guys probably are no good moochers but none of us know them.

fmf

Thats nothing, check these guys out, they are from the same area in MS, not far from me.  They had a lot of evidence that they posted on facebook, glad they got caught.

https://www.wlbt.com/2020/03/15/wesson-brookhaven-poachers-arrested-illegally-killing-nearly-wild-turkeys/

JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - A group of South Mississippians who are believed to have illegally killed nearly 100 wild turkeys have been charged and arrested.

According to the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks, the alleged crimes occurred during the 2019 hunting season.

The group of five individuals is thought to be responsible for poaching the turkeys and trespassing on 15 properties across Claiborne, Copiah, Franklin, Jefferson and Lincoln counties.

"This is the most blatant disregard for Mississippi's conservation laws I have seen in my thirty-three years of service with this Agency," said Colonel Steve Adcock.

GobbleGitr

Thanks for posting...agree with all the sentiments that harsh punishment is required to make this 'sticky' with people...and I will say these are not 4 hunters, they are 4 poachers at best

snoodcrusher

Quote from: 3chunter on February 27, 2021, 08:41:37 AM
Quote from: bbcoach on February 27, 2021, 07:04:28 AM

No way to know they are lifetime criminals.  Lots of situations may not be dealt with the same way.  I don't know the specifics.  But every case if different.  Did they eat the meat?  Do they spend thousands of dollars donating the conservation organizations?  Who knows but every situation is different as is punishment.   Who am I to say ban them from the world and not be able to even go in the woods to call a turkey.  Again don't know specifics.  I try not to pass judgement without all facts.  48,000 in fines are heafty to the average 4 people.  Does a guy with dui who hurts a person get the punishment of not driving for 5 years and paying this much in fines?  Probably close to what these guys did but they didn't hurt or kill anyone so does the punishment really match the crime?  I don't know.
Killing too many of something animal wise in my opinion should never rival punishment of other things like armed robbery or assault or dui injury.  Just my opinion.
Does someone thoughts change if these guys owned 5000 acres and spent thousands on conservation every year.  It sure would make some difference in the overall picture to me atleast.  Doesn't make what they did ok but other factors matter to me.  Again these guys probably are no good moochers but none of us know them.
I agree with your assessment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

notsure

So, on the one hand, a US attorney fines Turkey poachers $48,000 and bans them from hunting "anywhere in the world" (yeah, try enforcing that). And the same DOJ decides that a federal attorney who admitted to FABRICATING EVIDENCE USED TO INVESTIGATE A SITTING US PRESIDENT receives....wait for it....a $100 fine and six months community service. Yes, throw the book at the poachers, but the lack of equally applied justice is going to destroy this country.

dzsmith

Quote from: fmf on February 27, 2021, 09:01:14 AM
Thats nothing, check these guys out, they are from the same area in MS, not far from me.  They had a lot of evidence that they posted on facebook, glad they got caught.

https://www.wlbt.com/2020/03/15/wesson-brookhaven-poachers-arrested-illegally-killing-nearly-wild-turkeys/

JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - A group of South Mississippians who are believed to have illegally killed nearly 100 wild turkeys have been charged and arrested.

According to the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks, the alleged crimes occurred during the 2019 hunting season.

The group of five individuals is thought to be responsible for poaching the turkeys and trespassing on 15 properties across Claiborne, Copiah, Franklin, Jefferson and Lincoln counties.

"This is the most blatant disregard for Mississippi's conservation laws I have seen in my thirty-three years of service with this Agency," said Colonel Steve Adcock.
that's the same guys dude.....state charges were from the previous year. the state group is much larger though
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

turkeyfool

I mean my honest first reaction (and no offense to anyone here from MS)-but I lived along the Tenn and Miss border the past few years and all I can say is this really doesn't surprise me