OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

4 Mississippi hunters fined $48,000 for Kansas violations

Started by nativeks, February 26, 2021, 04:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

28 turkeys in eight days?  They had some good land or they baited 'em. 
Never heard of "can't hunt anywhere in the world" as part of a punishment.  Wow!  Glad they got 'em.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

dzsmith

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 26, 2021, 04:15:07 PM
Good, let em have it.  Imagine how many they kill at home in a season!  A guy my cousin knows from Arkansas surely pays no attention to any limit on anything for the most part, and it seems quite common!
why do you think guys from Mississippi hate Arkansas turkey hunters. Its normal around here.....its a disease. That's why folks want a one bird limit for non res.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

paboxcall

Quote from: rstewart8706 on February 27, 2021, 07:21:19 AM
I'm pissed off they were referred to as hunters.  They ain't hunters, they are poachers.  HUGE difference.

Agree 100%, and reality is this happens way too much across the country.

Guess for the game hogs its like a compulsion. They can't stop, threat or fear of getting caught isn't enough to make them stop. But getting caught will stop them.

You know someone who's poaching more than their legal limits, turn the poachers in. Report them.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

kyturkeyhunter4

3chunter

Quote from: notsure on February 27, 2021, 11:23:47 AM
So, on the one hand, a US attorney fines Turkey poachers $48,000 and bans them from hunting "anywhere in the world" (yeah, try enforcing that). And the same DOJ decides that a federal attorney who admitted to FABRICATING EVIDENCE USED TO INVESTIGATE A SITTING US PRESIDENT receives....wait for it....a $100 fine and six months community service. Yes, throw the book at the poachers, but the lack of equally applied justice is going to destroy this country.

Yep. Like button hit.

NCL

Quote from: notsure on February 27, 2021, 11:23:47 AM
So, on the one hand, a US attorney fines Turkey poachers $48,000 and bans them from hunting "anywhere in the world" (yeah, try enforcing that). And the same DOJ decides that a federal attorney who admitted to FABRICATING EVIDENCE USED TO INVESTIGATE A SITTING US PRESIDENT receives....wait for it....a $100 fine and six months community service. Yes, throw the book at the poachers, but the lack of equally applied justice is going to destroy this country.

Fines are not imposed by DOJ, they are the prosecutors, the sentence including the fine is imposed by the Judge/Court. Having been around the courts most of my adult life the violated law  sets the punishment for the offense and then the courts then impose that punishment. The aforementioned is the simplistic explanation there can be other factors that play into the decision of what the sentence will include. With the sentence imposed in this case it certainly would appear there were other factors involved.

sendero558

Cottonmouth

It's bad everywhere. The worst I've seen are at the Indian reservations where you pay for each bird. I've seen grown men shoot every jake they see just to go back home and say they killed 8. Grown men acting like 10 yr olds. They same guys wonder why the population is down.

Hwd silvestris

Heck fire! There are some guys that have already started hunting here in Mississippi.   I'm sure it's bad everywhere but dog gone it's bad here!  There is not much difference in private and public here.  It's pretty well all public to quite a few.   I have caught some in person and have put cameras on the roads and taken pictures of others.  I mainly hunt private.  I wouldn't dare take my son on public here in the south.  If I ever have to kill a turkey before or after season,  killing way too many, over bait, off the roost or with a rifle I will QUIT!  I have no respect for a man that behaves this way.  These low life's give all turkey hunters a bad name.  Here in the south the general public seems to view turkey hunters as outlaws, poachers, cheats.  It's very discouraging for us moral turkey hunters. 
It seems to be more of the fellas in there 50's and 60's than the younger guys. 
We need more game wardens here. It's unbelievable how few we have.
I will quit my fussing now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rifleman

This comment will enrage some here but I see a trend that is all too prevalent today.  I am glad the guys got caught for what they have done which is a serious blow to the local turkey population and unfair to those who hunt according to the law.  But it amazes me when I read these types of things on hunting forums how the replies are from "choir boys."  I have found after 75 years on the planet that those who preach righteouness have done wrong and some continue to do so.  I know a few of these people who rat out others but kill turkeys for the length of the season.  I don't approve of what they have done but ever hear of the line, "cast the first stone".

Pluffmud

How does one get banned from hunting "anywhere in the world?" I feel like thats unrealistic.
Psalm 46:10

Dtrkyman

There is a system in place in the states, Game and Fish are all connected, if your rights are revoked anywhere they all know it.

Maybe some other countries are involved now also?  Doubt a bunch of southern boys are headed out of the country to poach! 

nativeks

Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 27, 2021, 01:53:05 PM
28 turkeys in eight days?  They had some good land or they baited 'em. 
Never heard of "can't hunt anywhere in the world" as part of a punishment.  Wow!  Glad they got 'em.
The podcast the wardens said they would see turkeys and one guy would drop another guy off. They were tresspassing and they had no licenses. One offender told the warden "With a crow call and a set of knee pads I could kill every turkey in KS".

TonyTurk

Someone please educate this ol country boy...

How can a US court impose or enforce a "world wide" ban?  On hunting, or anything else for that matter?

Don't get me wrong.  I am glad these guys got punished.  But our court system doesn't have jurisdiction over the entire world, do they?