turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

4 Mississippi hunters fined $48,000 for Kansas violations

Started by nativeks, February 26, 2021, 04:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativeks

https://www.wibw.com/2021/02/26/4-mississippi-hunters-fined-48000-for-kansas-violations/

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Four men from Mississippi have been banned from hunting anywhere in the world and fined a total of $48,000 for violating wildlife laws in Kansas.

Kenneth R. Britt Jr., 51; Tony Grant Smith, 26; Barney Leon Bairfield III, 28; and Dustin Corey Treadway, 28, were also sentenced to several years of probation, the U.S. Attorney's office said Wednesday.

They pleaded guilty to conspiring to kill wild turkeys in excess of the legal limit and illegally transporting the birds across state lines, prosecutors said in a news release.

The men are from two neighboring towns — Wesson and Brookhaven — in Mississippi.

In 2017 and 2018, they traveled to Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska for spring hunting trip without the required hunting licenses, prosecutors said

During one eight-day trip in 2018, the men bagged at least 26 wild turkeys. Kansas limits hunters to two wild turkey kills per hunter per season.

Copyright 2021 WIBW. All rights reserved.

Dtrkyman

Good, let em have it.  Imagine how many they kill at home in a season!  A guy my cousin knows from Arkansas surely pays no attention to any limit on anything for the most part, and it seems quite common!

Greg Massey

Glad these guys were caught and now have to pay the price. But the birds will still be hard to replace in those area's. Awesome job law enforcement...

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Throw the book at them 5 years for every bird, that will teach them.  :blob10:

quavers59

There are probably  few Turkeys at their home base in Mississippi... I  feel bad for the Locals there as these outlaws probably  killed a Truckload over the Springs before targeting Kansas,etc.
    And boy is it going to be Tough for those 4 to sit out this Spring Turkey Season....
    Glad they got caught!!

Tom007

Quote from: quavers59 on February 26, 2021, 06:41:42 PM
  There are probably  few Turkeys at their home base in Mississippi... I  feel bad for the Locals there as these outlaws probably  killed a Truckload over the Springs before targeting Kansas,etc.
    And boy is it going to be Tough for those 4 to sit out this Spring Turkey Season....
    Glad they got caught!!

Amen my friend. Now maybe the locals will have better hunting....let's hope....

fallhnt

This won't stop them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Tom007

Howie g

I'm in the same area . Believe me , it's plenty more just like them in this region.
Glad they got caught !  Maybe there cousins / brothers etc will take note !!
  But sadly , it probably won't

Jimspur

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 26, 2021, 06:13:12 PM
Should have been banned for life.

x2 - this will stop them and send a message to the rest.
Hard to fathom the lack of love and respect for the wild turkey these guys display.

Hwd silvestris

Howie-g is right.  There are plenty of folks around south & central Mississippi that think rules don't apply to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Pavo Grande

Unbelievable selfishness.  I just don't understand that mindset.   They should make an example of every one they catch. 

Crghss

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...