Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your first Turkey gun, do you still have it, or wish you still had it?

Started by Tom007, February 23, 2021, 03:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Tom007 on February 24, 2021, 08:52:16 AM
Glad to see most have kept their first guns...wish I did..

I have my shotguns and rifles. Pistols I have sold or traded. I have an old G17 that I am one with.... That one is cray... Other pistols have come and gone.... LOL

Gobble!

Still have it though it's not seen action in probably 10 years.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I still have the the old remington 870. I carry it a couple times a year now.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

jhoward11

Older Mossberg 500...only thing I could afford:) Now, I use Mossberg 835 killing machine, also throw in an Ithaca Turkey slayer which does almost as good.

JMBknvc

Remington 870, 3" chamber with 18" barrel and still lives in the closet.

trkehunr93

Started out with a Savage Stevens model single shot 12 gauge with a full choke and the old Federal Premium 2 3/4" 6's. Couple years later received a Mossberg 500 as a college graduation gift, kept shooting the 2 3/4" 6's out of its full choke.  Upgraded to an 835 in 2006 and 3" and 3.5" shells and it's all I hunt with mostly but from time to time I'll carry the Stevens or 500 on a squirrel hunt or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross R

Mine was a Mossberg 835 20" with the ported barrel... I do not miss shooting that thing at all.  I used a SBE II for a while and now I am shooting a weatherby sa 459. 

nativeks

I got an 870 wingmaster in 2000 from my parents for xmas. It killed alot of birds spring and fall. Now its mostly a safe queen.

g8rvet

My first shotgun was a Win 101 20g.  I still have it.  Never turkey hunted with it. 

My first turkey gun was a Rem 870 12 with a 26" barrel.  It was a do all gun at first. I later changed my prime duck gun and my son claimed it.  I shot the bird in my avatar with it.  My son outshot me with it regularly at sporting clays, so I gave it to him.  It is his first 12 and he killed his first gobbler with it.  His first turkey was a jake and his sister now owns that youth model 870 and it is rigged for turkey. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

THattaway

Used my Dad's 870 2 3/4" 12 ga wingmaster for my first turkey. Was taped with ww2 style woodland camo, 30" full choke barrel. Killed a jake and a longbeard one eve. Went on to buy my own "first" turkey gun. Sometime later my brother got hold of that 870 wingmaster which he pawned after few years. Would have loved to been able to own it.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Matt76cmich

My first "turkey" gun is a 1972 Remington 870 Wingmaster LW with a fixed modified choke in 20 gauge. My dad originally bought it and later gave it to my brother with the stipulation that if my brother didn't want it my dad would buy it back from him, which he did. Later on after I got old enough (12) my dad gave it to me. I have used it for everything except waterfowl and hoping to hand it down to one of my kids. With that in mind I ended up buying my first fully dedicated turkey gun (and first 12 gauge) earlier this year, a Mossberg 835 Ultimag along with a Stoeger M3020 for backup.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

dejake

Shot my first bird with a LC Smith 16 gauge double barrel.  Still have it.  First dedicated turkey gun was an 870 SPST 12 gauge.  Got rid of it when I went to a 20.  Will never go back to a 12.

natman

My first turkey gun was a poly stocked Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel. I used a sticker set to camo it, switched to a much handier 20" barreland added fiber optic sights. I still have it. I ran across a great deal on a like new Mossberg 500 turkey gun with factory camo, 20" barrel, fiber optic sights and a nice cushy recoil pad. It's lighter than my first gun and is my go-to turkey gun these days.

Tom007

J.D. Shellnut

My first dedicated turkey gun was a remington 870 max gobbler. I was coming home from the rig in Arkansas and slept in the parking lot of bass pro in Louisiana until they opened to buy it. I think that was 2005 I still use it today.
60% of the time it works every time!