turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Reloading using factory shell components

Started by JMalin, February 23, 2021, 03:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMalin

Was thinking about potentially buying some 3.5 inch 12 gauge federal heavyweights (on clearance for cheaper than I could even buy 15 grams/cc shot) and potentially using the powder and shot contained within them to load my own 20 gauge shells.  Has anyone done anything similar?  Since powder is apparently hard to come by, I was thinking it would be smart to conserve the powder within those 3.5 inch shells.  Anyone know what kind of powder is in factory federal heavyweight loads? 

Bowguy

You have no idea as to anything here. In reloading there's no guessing. Don't do it. It could be dangerous to you or the gun

JMalin

Meh, probably get a better answer on a message board dedicated to reloading.  Still seems worth it for the shot alone, so I'll probably pick some up.   

Bowguy

The reloading board will say the same thing I just said. You don't play reloading. It can cause dangerous situations.

owlhoot

The shot you can save for other loads . Properly weighed for shot charge / The powder don't even think about it. Don't even think about it. Don't even think about reloading anything until you are familiar with reloading principals, consult reloading manuals and know exactly what you are doing.

You can't hunt turkey if you cant SEE the darn things.

Bowguy

Guys to help you understand it's all about pressure.  When you shoot the primer sparks the powder. A chemical reaction occurs and the powder turns to gas. Smokeless powder is a propellant not an explosive. The rate of expansion (quickness) varies. There are ratios of things that need to be met. Weight of charge, weight of load, if you wanted to optimize other factors come in as well but imagine the powder expanded too quickly and the load was too heavy for it. You cause the barrel to burst perhaps. A dangerous situation. Now you say well I'll go super low. What if for some reason the wad stayed in the barrel and that does happen, typically on a mischarged load but it does happen. Now you load another round. You just made a pipe bomb and will again burst the barrel. The ratios (recipe) need to be correct. Hope I explained that so you understand. Federal doesn't list what powder they use and aren't obligated to stay within an exact recipe. Primers change, (affects pressure)  wads change (that affects pressure as well,) the powder can change that's why guys go through pains to get shells from the same lot number. It can be different

crow

Quote from: JMalin on February 23, 2021, 08:06:38 PM
Meh, probably get a better answer on a message board dedicated to reloading.  Still seems worth it for the shot alone, so I'll probably pick some up.

It is worth it for the shot alone, doesn't take long to separate the buffer from shot.

I used the primed empty hulls for blackpowder shotshell loads

without knowing what powder they used you could get into unsafe pressures pretty quick

Gobble!

I've planned to do something similar if I ever find TSS loads on sale. Solely after the shot itself and nothing else though. I think I'd just shoot factory loads before I got to the point I was trying to save powder from a manufactures shell.

Swampchickin234

Quote from: owlhoot on February 23, 2021, 08:52:19 PM
The shot you can save for other loads . Properly weighed for shot charge / The powder don't even think about it. Don't even think about it. Don't even think about reloading anything until you are familiar with reloading principals, consult reloading manuals and know exactly what you are doing.

You can't hunt turkey if you cant SEE the darn things.
Or pull triggers if ya don't have fingers. 

Run from the powder idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMalin

looks like I could potentially unload the rest of the shell components for someone looking to reload their own 3.5 inch 12 gauge shell.  Duck and goose hunters perhaps.  Would recoup a little bit of the costs without wasting the wad, charge, and primer. 

Bowguy

You can't, no one will buy it. You don't know what type wad or anything. You just can't mix. Not sure why you aren't getting that. Even the primers add or detract from the pressure depending what was used. The charge, forget it. Can't do it brother

Bowguy

Another thing to think about and I'm not sure on your laws or even any laws about this but can an individual even sell powder without a license? Ok so say you just do it under the radar. Someone gets hurt. How liable would you be? Besides all the moral,  dangerous parts of this you want to protect yourself as well. We're talking minimal powder. I don't think it's even worth it. No reloader needs that little of God knows what. It's against everything they do

JMalin

Someone reloads the shell with same weight of charge (1 7/8 ounce) with TSS and recrimps it. Everything about the shell is factory including the flight control wad.  What am I missing?

Bowguy

Even the hull can change pressures. Every single thing is a recipe of safe pressure that's why you can't gamble. Look you seem pretty determined. You asked a question, every person tried to warn you. Up to you now. Do the right thing and forget it unless you just wanted that shot but how much are we talking? Where are you gonna get everything else from right now. Not trying to discourage you from reloading but it'd be tough to get parts now unless you already have them. Doesn't seem you do

Bowguy

If you're referring to TSS there's Mylar in there and buffer. Buffer can way change pressure. I wish you'd see how much you don't understand. So if you went from heavyweight which is not tss, you'd be changing things. You'd not just add an equal weight load. You change things now you gotta adjust everything? How much do you think we should adjust? Idk either. Gotta follow the recipe