OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Reloading using factory shell components

Started by JMalin, February 23, 2021, 03:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

Quote from: JMalin on February 24, 2021, 03:59:30 PM
Someone reloads the shell with same weight of charge (1 7/8 ounce) with TSS and recrimps it. Everything about the shell is factory including the flight control wad.  What am I missing?

different length shot columns (1 7/8 tss will be a shorter column than 1 7/8 15g/cc) will create different pressures, even if you kept all the other components the same.

I've opened a bunch of these hulls, it is hard to open them without damaging the crimp if you wanted to keep them the 3.5" length.

since I only needed a  2.75" hull I just cut the hull at the top of the rim. this left a hull too short to use as a 3" shell

Bowguy

Here's another issue, the crimp style. If someone is gonna roll crimp they can't have a star crimp already in hull

JMalin

Quote from: crow on February 24, 2021, 08:01:18 PM
Quote from: JMalin on February 24, 2021, 03:59:30 PM
Someone reloads the shell with same weight of charge (1 7/8 ounce) with TSS and recrimps it. Everything about the shell is factory including the flight control wad.  What am I missing?

different length shot columns (1 7/8 tss will be a shorter column than 1 7/8 15g/cc) will create different pressures, even if you kept all the other components the same.

I've opened a bunch of these hulls, it is hard to open them without damaging the crimp if you wanted to keep them the 3.5" length.

since I only needed a  2.75" hull I just cut the hull at the top of the rim. this left a hull too short to use as a 3" shell

Fair enough.  Thank you for the straightforward answer.  Bought some for the shot.  Won't go breaking down the shells until reloading components are more readily available.  Worse comes to worse, I pick up a 3.5 inch chambered shotgun at a pawn shop. 

crow

:icon_thumright:

I have a buddy that shoots these in an 835, great patterns and a hard hitting load

For whatever it's worth to anybody thinking of using the Federal flight control wad with real black powder.
I tried using them in a blackpowder shotshell gun and have 2 friends that tried them in smoothbore muzzleloaders.

none of us had any luck with the back pedals on the wad opening reliably with black powder, most loads hit the paper like a slug. 2 guns were cyl. bore, 1 was imp. cyl.

PharmHunter

If you aren't familiar with who Saami is then look him up, and listen to Bowguy.