OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Recoil issues with lightweight 20 ga?

Started by mcw3734, February 22, 2021, 02:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

For those hunting with lightweight (<6lbs.) and compact/youth framed 20 gauges, have you experienced any issues with recoil? I don't mean on the shoulder, but getting popped in the face. I haven't been able to hold one yet, but it seems like those compacts force you to be kinda bunched up close to your hand.

MO_HUNTER

Yup! I had to put a red dot on it to get my hand from hitting my nose after each shot.

fmf

yep!  the first time I took my 510 mini out to pattern/sight in I took one shot and loaded up and went home to start looking for replacement stocks and put a red dot on it.

Greg Massey

Not a problem what so ever with recoil from the 20 ga. with using a scope. When pulling the trigger on a gobbler all i'm thinking of is dead turkey.

mullet dredge

No issues per se.....but 1 5/8oz out of a youth 870 is definitely what I refer to as "snappy" recoil. Not much fun to shoot a lot during patterning process but never noticed in the field.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: mullet dredge on February 22, 2021, 10:03:29 AM
No issues per se.....but 1 5/8oz out of a youth 870 is definitely what I refer to as "snappy" recoil. Not much fun to shoot a lot during patterning process but never noticed in the field.

This!! ^^^
My 20 ga is a single shot H&R Topper that weighs in at 4 lbs 12 ozs. Not much fun to shoot multiple times at the range, but no issues when taking a turkey, or as far as jumping up and smacking me in the face.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

paboxcall

Quote from: mullet dredge on February 22, 2021, 10:03:29 AM

Agree, I'm shooting a 1 3/8th oz. of TSS 9s in a 2.75" shell in mine. Its snappy but way better than my 12 gauge turkey guns. I installed a red dot and a Beartooth padded raised comb on it. That makes it much easier to shoot at the range.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

the Ward

Took my old 20 gauge single shot Stevens out for a pheasant preserve hunt a couple months ago. Shot some Fiochi heavy loads.I was suprised how hard it kicked, as i haven't shot it in quite some time, and then it was with low brass dove loads. 

mcw3734

Thank you for the replies!

So, based on what I'm initially hearing, if I were to use a red dot (which is the plan anyway) and a 'standard' framed lightweight gun, the face popping should be mitigated?

To be clear, I currently hunt with a Remington-SP10, so, I'm not afraid of recoil. But I remember hearing wingshooters talking about all those super lightweight 20 gauge guns and they would mention the recoil as kind of a "hey, you should know about this....".

2eagles

I was surprised at the "snap" from my 870 Compact with 3" loads. I used all the spacers to get the LOP the same as my 12 ga Wingmaster. That did help, but it did snap.

Dtrkyman

Not crazy on recoil, but no way I would should a youth length stock, never mind punching yourself in the nose but I am not trying to shoot all hunched up! 

Get the proper length of pull, when you need to roll a tom that is getting out of town a properly fitted gun will help!

redjones

I installed a red dot and a Beartooth padded raised comb on it. That makes it much easier to shoot at the range.
[/quote]

This plus a Limbsaver recoil pad will make the 20ga a whole lot more enjoyable to shoot.

Greg
Semper Fi

paboxcall

Quote from: redjones on February 22, 2021, 02:54:45 PM
I installed a red dot and a Beartooth padded raised comb on it. That makes it much easier to shoot at the range.

This plus a Limbsaver recoil pad will make the 20ga a whole lot more enjoyable to shoot.

Greg
[/quote]

:icon_thumright:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Bowguy

WV Flopper

Bought a 510 for my son, 1st spring he killed a gobbler. Next year he refused to pull the trigger with a gobbler standing in front of us. That was the worse kicking gun I have ever shot. I would never buy another, as I think they are plain out junk.

Engineered completely wrong, which causes the gun to jump into your face ever time you pull the trigger. For the men that call this gun snappy is the most mild summery you could possibly use to describe the recoil of a 510 mini bantam.

I had to upgrade the boy to a M2 to get him to start hunting again. If a pound and half bothers you, carry less shells and one bottle of water less.