OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Recoil issues with lightweight 20 ga?

Started by mcw3734, February 22, 2021, 02:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Augusta

Are they worse that a 12 gauge 3 1/2 magnum?   
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

surehuntsalot

no problems at all with my Stoeger 3020
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Easy81

Weatherby semi 20 youth.
Shoots like a dream, barely kicks.

Tail Feathers

Use a pad between shoulder and the gun for patterning/sighting in.
When hunting, you won't notice the recoil when shooting a tom so it's all good.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

zombiewoof

Quote from: West Augusta on February 26, 2021, 03:07:34 PM
Are they worse that a 12 gauge 3 1/2 magnum?

No, at least my Super Bantam 20 w/ 3" load doesn't kick nearly as hard as my Super Mag w/ 3 1/2" load. But is definitely more than what I expected the first time I shot it.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: WV Flopper on February 25, 2021, 07:40:26 PM
Bought a 510 for my son, 1st spring he killed a gobbler. Next year he refused to pull the trigger with a gobbler standing in front of us. That was the worse kicking gun I have ever shot. I would never buy another, as I think they are plain out junk.

Engineered completely wrong, which causes the gun to jump into your face ever time you pull the trigger. For the men that call this gun snappy is the most mild summery you could possibly use to describe the recoil of a 510 mini bantam.

I had to upgrade the boy to a M2 to get him to start hunting again. If a pound and half bothers you, carry less shells and one bottle of water less.

WOW. This is interesting. I got my Son the Super Mini Bantam in 410. Some people said it would kick harder than the 20. Good thing I went with the 410. He has shot high brass 3" mags with no problem. I'm doing all the patterning so he doesn't worry about the kick. Hopefully this year he can get a bird in the youth season, here in the Sip.

aclawrence

I took my son out squirrel hunting the other morning and let him shoot an older Stevens 20 ga single shot. Big mistake!  We had been shooting the .22 and I didn't prepare him for the recoil of the 20 ga. I didn't think it would be be that bad but I hadn't shot it in a long time. It was some high brass #6's. I shot after it after I finished consoling him and it did kick pretty good. I'm not sure I'd want to shoot a turkey load through it. But it was so nice to carry I'm thinking about putting a better pad on it and carry it some this year. The recoil pad on that thing ain't very cushy lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wchadw

Quote from: paboxcall on February 22, 2021, 06:52:43 PM
Quote from: redjones on February 22, 2021, 02:54:45 PM
I installed a red dot and a Beartooth padded raised comb on it. That makes it much easier to shoot at the range.

This plus a Limbsaver recoil pad will make the 20ga a whole lot more enjoyable to shoot.

Greg

:icon_thumright:
[/quote]
I second. I have a yildiz youth 20 that I put a limbsaver on. It helps

saltysenior

how does the Red Dot help ???? ......shot my new 20 ga. Maverick once and ''wow''.....

Planner

This thread is making me rethink my plans for this spring season with my 13 y/o daughter. She's been hunting with a 410 for several years now and has shot her share of turkeys. I just bought her Mossberg 500 20 gauge and planned to shoot Winchester longe beard 2 3" 1 1/4" 5 shot. She shoots a .243 right now like it's nothing... am I setting her up for really bad experience??

LRD

I shoot a compact 870 20 ga with 1 5/8 oz of TSS #9s with a Burris fastfire. I've had no issues with recoil even though it can be felt a little when patterning but nowhere near that of a 3.5" 12 ga.

cutt down

Other than my Benelli or Berettas my guns have a Kick-EEZ pad on them. Great pad that doesn't break down internally like some others. Really helps!!!!

aclawrence

Quote from: Planner on March 03, 2021, 08:56:28 PM
This thread is making me rethink my plans for this spring season with my 13 y/o daughter. She's been hunting with a 410 for several years now and has shot her share of turkeys. I just bought her Mossberg 500 20 gauge and planned to shoot Winchester longe beard 2 3" 1 1/4" 5 shot. She shoots a .243 right now like it's nothing... am I setting her up for really bad experience??

My son is only 7. He has shot my AR and he has a little .300blk out rifle but none of those compare to the little single shot 20ga recoil. I think he would have had no problem if he was 13. I'm going to shoot a turkey load through it but I've got a feeling it's going to kick like a mule. I would just take your Mossberg out and compare it to the 410 and see what you think before you turn her loose on it.

fmf

Quote from: saltysenior on March 03, 2021, 08:16:41 PM
  how does the Red Dot help ???? ......shot my new 20 ga. Maverick once and ''wow''.....

It gets your cheek up off the stock some.  The recoil, with my gun at least, wasn't bad on the shoulder, it was the face.  An SGA stock and red dot later and its fun to shoot.

the Ward

Quote from: Planner on March 03, 2021, 08:56:28 PM

I would think she should be fine with that 20 gauge setup. If she is shooting a 243 well then she should have no problem with the mossberg.As other members have pointed out, the smack to the cheek is what you want to avoid in a youngster and us oldsters!