News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey gun you’ve always wanted

Started by kytrkyhntr, February 21, 2021, 08:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Quote from: Brian Fahs on February 22, 2021, 03:45:30 PM
The first year browning made the bps in 10 gauge I bought one. 30 inch barrel with the most beautiful blueing and wood you could imagine. Of course I drove right to mark bansners shop and had the barrel cut to 22" and a choke sweated in. A rattle can paint job made it turkey ready. This was before screw in chokes were popular so dedicated turkey guns were built not bought.
That gun really shot well but all this talk about recoil....... nothing on earth kicked like that gun. Bloody nose black eye swollen cheek were the norm with that thing.
I traded it on a sp-10 when they came out and never looked back. The sp-10 is still my primary gobbler killer.
[/quote/)

I did the same thing with an SP-10 years ago. Mark cut the barrel to 22, put in the Turkey/Predator choke system. He put Williams rifled sights on the barrel. The thing shot great, but I sold it to buy an SBE. It was very heavy, but I wish I still had it......Mark Bansner did great work...be safe.....

g8rvet

My nephew picked up a CZ Mallard 20 gauge a couple years ago.  Double trigger.  Put some sights on the rib and we just shot it with TSS at 40 (trulock choke) and Lead #6 (factory Mod) at 15 yards.  POA and POI are close enough if you aim at the waddle/feather border, it is a dead turkey.  I want to find one now.  Of course, if I can even find one, the POA will probably be off. They are not top of the line guns. I think he just got real lucky. 

Some day I want to trick out a 410 H&R or some other little 410.  Kill one bird with it and hand it down to my grandson.  He has his momma's youth model 20 Rem to move up to when he gets too old for the 410.  Gotta think ahead.  His momma has not killed a bird with it, but his uncle has.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Brian Fahs

Quote from: Tom007 on February 22, 2021, 05:18:40 PM
The first year browning made the bps in 10 gauge I bought one. 30 inch barrel with the most beautiful blueing and wood you could imagine. Of course I drove right to mark bansners shop and had the barrel cut to 22" and a choke sweated in. A rattle can paint job made it turkey ready. This was before screw in chokes were popular so dedicated turkey guns were built not bought.
That gun really shot well but all this talk about recoil....... nothing on earth kicked like that gun. Bloody nose black eye swollen cheek were the norm with that thing.
I traded it on a sp-10 when they came out and never looked back. The sp-10 is still my primary gobbler killer.
[/quote/)

I did the same thing with an SP-10 years ago. Mark cut the barrel to 22, put in the Turkey/Predator choke system. He put Williams rifled sights on the barrel. The thing shot great, but I sold it to buy an SBE. It was very heavy, but I wish I still had it......Mark Bansner did great work...be safe.....
I bought my sp-10 brand new for $800 and picked up a 22" rifle sighted barrel for $125 a couple weeks after I bought it new. I had it tapped for a vortex venom on a sumtoy mount 2 years ago. An Indian creek choke and 2 1/2 ounces of TSS #7 brings good results.
I never minded the weight of the gun. I have gorilla size hands and like the feel of that gun in my hands. I own several other turkey guns but I can truthfully say the sp-10 is my dream gun.

Tom007

Quote from: Brian Fahs on February 22, 2021, 05:33:27 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on February 22, 2021, 05:18:40 PM
[/quote/)

Fantastic, bet it's a beauty. Knock em down this spring....

I bought my sp-10 brand new for $800 and picked up a 22" rifle sighted barrel for $125 a couple weeks after I bought it new. I had it tapped for a vortex venom on a sumtoy mount 2 years ago. An Indian creek choke and 2 1/2 ounces of TSS #7 brings good results.
I never minded the weight of the gun. I have gorilla size hands and like the feel of that gun in my hands. I own several other turkey guns but I can truthfully say the sp-10 is my dream gun.

Cut N Run

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on February 22, 2021, 01:04:53 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on February 22, 2021, 12:01:09 PM
Quote from: kytrkyhntr on February 22, 2021, 11:36:22 AM
I also would love to find a 20 gauge left handed 870 wing master.. talk about a rare bird lol

Yea, I am lefty too my friend. I have learned over the years to put up with shells flying out in front of my face due to limited left handed gun availability. I don't even see them anymore.....be safe..

My m2 is a lefty and I had to order it, kinda got spoiled with that safety going the correct way ;)

I shoot left, yet most of my guns are right handed.  I hunt with a Benelli SBE II right hand & am also used to spent hulls flying by.  If you make that first shot count, there's no need for a follow up.

I'd love a 20 ga. SBE lefty, but money's tight right now.  I'd also like a TC Encore rigged up for turkey. Luckily it doesn't cost anything to dream.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

yelp4u

T/C encore in 20 gauge and now that you reminded me i think i'll order a barrel and forend

treein dixie

Quote from: paboxcall on February 22, 2021, 10:21:57 AM
Quote from: snoodcrusher on February 21, 2021, 09:17:06 PM
I had one.  Bought it brand New Years ago.  It killed on one end and crippled on the other.  Hardest recoiling shotgun I ever shot.  I sold it when I ran into hard times in the early 90s.  I don't miss that shotgun at all.  I hope you find one and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Without question the 1300s kick the snot out of you. Bought the 1300 Buck & Tom edition new when they were released. 22" barrel, synthetic stocks, dipped in New Breakup, with a Hastings .660 and Supreme #5s, patterned really well. When I got into hevi-13 #7s, a buddy who uses a 870 asked me to shoot that little 1300. He shot it once and said that was the most recoil he ever felt LOL.

But the gun I always wanted I bought new 20+ years ago, and traded after the first year. It was a H&R single shot NWTF gun of the year, factory dipped in original Bottomland. I tried shooting 3.5" shells through it, and it was just too much. Never occurred to me to try 3" back then. Soon as I sold it I regretted it.

When a lightly used H&R just like it popped up on GB few years later I hit the buy now button for $90. With a original JH .660, that gun would put 275+ in 10" with Hevi-13 #7s. Kicked bad even with 3" loads, but a joy to tote around. Sumtoy installed fiber optic rifle sights on it. Just a perfect turkey gun.

That H&R is my backup gun now. Goes in the truck on every hunt just in case something happens to my 20 gauge.

The H&R I had id rather be on the receiving end than feel the pain of the 3 1/2 it would shoot!

Tom007

Quote from: Cut N Run on February 22, 2021, 06:44:31 PM
Quote from: kytrkyhntr on February 22, 2021, 01:04:53 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on February 22, 2021, 12:01:09 PM
Quote from: kytrkyhntr on February 22, 2021, 11:36:22 AM
I also would love to find a 20 gauge left handed 870 wing master.. talk about a rare bird lol

Yea, I am lefty too my friend. I have learned over the years to put up with shells flying out in front of my face due to limited left handed gun availability. I don't even see them anymore.....be safe..

My m2 is a lefty and I had to order it, kinda got spoiled with that safety going the correct way ;)

I shoot left, yet most of my guns are right handed.  I hunt with a Benelli SBE II right hand & am also used to spent hulls flying by.  If you make that first shot count, there's no need for a follow up.

I'd love a 20 ga. SBE lefty, but money's tight right now.  I'd also like a TC Encore rigged up for turkey. Luckily it doesn't cost anything to dream.

Jim

Hi Jimmy. Yea, I love Super Black Eagles. I have 2 of them. They are turkey dusters for sure. Be safe, have fun this spring....

Sixes

I always wanted a Benelli SBE 2 in Bottomland.

A few years back, we had a big ice storm roll in and myself and 3 others volunteered to work the duration of the storm. In Georgia, ice is a 4 letter word and we aren't setup to cope with ice.

I work in a Liquified Natural Gas plant that supplies gas during extreme cold weather and this was one of the times.

We went in on Monday and I finally left sometime late on Friday evening. The company does us right in that after the first 8 hours, we went on OT and stayed on it for the duration of the week. Somewhere around 125 hours of OT that week, so I rewarded my self with the shotgun that I had always wanted. I actually found it on sale online at Dunns and was able to save a couple of hundred off the price.

It is still the most I have paid for a naked gun. I have others that rifles plus scope cost more, but not the bare gun.

kytrkyhntr

Quote from: Sixes on February 22, 2021, 08:40:08 PM

A few years back, we had a big ice storm roll in and myself and 3 others volunteered to work the duration of the storm. In Georgia, ice is a 4 letter word and we aren't setup to cope with ice.

I work in a Liquified Natural Gas plant that supplies gas during extreme cold weather and this was one of the times.

We went in on Monday and I finally left sometime late on Friday evening. The company does us right in that after the first 8 hours, we went on OT and stayed on it for the duration of the week. Somewhere around 125 hours of OT that week, so I rewarded my self with the shotgun that I had always wanted. I actually found it on sale online at Dunns and was able to save a couple of hundred off the price.

It is still the most I have paid for a naked gun. I have others that rifles plus scope cost more, but not the bare gun.

When you put in the work it's nice to reward yourself!
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Tom007

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on February 23, 2021, 06:37:26 AM
Quote from: Sixes on February 22, 2021, 08:40:08 PM

When you put in the work it's nice to reward yourself!

X2, hard work should yield rewards, good luck with it..

Loyalist84

Maybe it doesn't exist, but I'd love to have an Ithaca NID 10 gauge double with a couple chokes (20-40 and under 20 for those silent suprise birds) and a broad brass double bead. Add a Greener style safety on the right hand side and I'd be pretty confident I'd never want a different turkey gun. But here in the real world, a pistol grip stock for my BPS would make it a pretty ideal rig in and of itself.

CALLM2U

I'd love to have an 11-87 in bottomland. 

Hwd silvestris

I've alwAys wanted a Browning Cynergy 3.5 in bottomland with sling Not barrel clip sling
Cut barrels 22" with extended tubes
With BFF optics.
I'm not sure if they are worth a flip for turkey hunting but have always wanted one! 
I'm an over/under guy.  Automatics feel like they are falling apart when shot.  I have several but not my favorite. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk