turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Run to bird after the shot?

Started by mcw3734, February 20, 2021, 12:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMalin

All it takes is one lost turkey you initially saw flopping to make you want to hustle up to each one you kill.  Not as important in an open area where you can keep eyes on the bird.  If my view of the bird is obstructed or I had to shoot through some thick stuff to get on him, I'm not going to sprint, but will certainly hustle up to him to make sure he isn't just stunned.  Likewise when hunting steep terrain. 

G squared 23

I normally keep my gun ready for a followup shot which I have needed a time or two. I'd reload before running after one. They're faster than me...

wbyman

Yes in the early days. Last time I did it was when I pushed down with my free hand to get up and smashed my favorite pot call. Not smart to stumble around with a loaded gun. Take good clean shots, probably the best advice.
"Control your destiny, or someone else will"

Sixes

I throw my gun down, run over and grab em up in a bear hug! That is what a real man does!!

After being heavily spurred in the palm of my hand, I learned to leave them alone for a little bit, a bird with his head bouncing all over the place ain't going anywhere.

Gobble!

Immediately get up and strut my way to him. Grab his legs and put a foot on his neck.

the Ward

Quote from: Gobble! on February 22, 2021, 07:44:54 AM
Immediately get up and strut my way to him. Grab his legs and put a foot on his neck.
You've got style, my man!

trkehunr93

I use to run like Carl Lewis, he was a really fast Olympic runner for you younger guys, back in the beginning of my turkey hunting career.  Now not so much, usually just walk over and put my foot on his head until he's done flopping.  If I'm on a ridge and gravity takes over I'll move a little faster to get to him but after falling face first running to one I've slowed down a bit. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!

I was taught to run to the bird as well.

Then I learned to just keep the gun on the bird and wait. It's easier to have a follow up shot seated and ready than, on the run.

Just a thought.

greencop01

I never run to the bird. I walk with a loaded shotgun. I never had one get up after I shot, but if I did another load of sixes will be sent to his brain-housing group real quick. It is not very smart or safe to run with a loaded shotgun in your hands, it only takes once.........
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

tha bugman

I still do I don't care how dead they look!  Blew out my ACL running to one several years ago.  Me and him were both flopping on the ground! :TooFunny:

Neill_Prater

Bird in hand worth two in the bush, so although I no longer run to them, I still don't piddle around unless the bird is in plain sight.

TSS, Hevishot, lead, whatever, a poor shot is still a poor shot. Shot a bird last year with Magblends at 40 yards. Not sure if I flinched, or just rushed the shot because I could tell he was getting ready to boogy, but the results were the same either way.

Bird went down, but immediately started flopping big time and soon got out of sight. I'm old and slow, but got up as quickly as possible and trotted towards him. By the time I got there he had flopped behind some brush, and had his feet under him. Fortunately, he froze, and I was able to finish him off.

If I hadn't hustled, that likely would have been a lost bird.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

g8rvet

I am in the keep the gun ready for a followup camp.  Then head over and claim the prize.   If I am not certain, I don't waste time getting up, but I don't like to turn my back on one either that is still flopping. 

With a muzzleloader I will be in a bit more of a rush, since a followup takes a while. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Howie g

How many of you fellas have gotten up to retrieve a flopper and fall down because your legs are asleep ?
I know a guy ???????

Paulmyr

Reading some of these replies reminds me of friend I took down to Georgia for a hunt.

On his last day before having to take him to airport I sent him into an area in knew had birds. I sat out on the road and listened. About a half hour later I hear a Tom fire up and he's hot. I'm thinking to myself that birds gonna get it. Sat there for an hour listening to this bird ripping up the woods expecting a shot at anytime. Nothing. 20 mins later my buds out of the woods looking dejected. Asked if he spooked or something he replies what spooked. I said that Tom that was in there ripping it up. I never heard anything was his reply. I laughed and said dude I just sat here and listened to him for an hour. Buddy was dumbfounded. Turned out he set up next to a creek and couldn't here over the bubbling water.

We went back to camp for a bite and I took him back after packing his stuff. Dropped him at the entry and said stay away from the creek this time and  I'll be back in an hour and a half to take you to the airport.

Show up to to take him to the airport and he's out on the road standing over a nice Tom. He gives me the story.

He stays out of the creek but sets up by and abandoned church retreat. He picks a concrete wall to sit against. The wall is about 15 yds from the main building and not very big. The Tom comes in silent and gets between the wall and building right behind the friend and starts drumming. Buddy says he going nuts as the bird sits there with that little wall between them and booms drumming for about 20 mins. The drumming stops and finally sees the bird at about 35yds going away. He quickly get a shot before the bird enters the woods rolling him over. Buddy runs over to his prize and checks him out. He's digging in his vest to get his camera out (for you younger guys that's how we used to take pics back in the day) when out of the corner of his eye he sees the birds head pop up. It was off to the races. He couldn't shoot again because he set his gun down to take aforementioned pic. The Tom starts to fly. Buddy catches the bird by the foot just before it gets out of reach and the battle was on. Apparently the turkey was winning until he got a hold of its neck. Still getting the heck beat out him my friend was able to somehow twist the birds neck.
Ha! we get a good laugh out of that story every time I see him and we talk turkey.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

old3toe

It depends on the situation for me. Most of the time I just chamber another round asap and keep the gun covering him in case he isn't hit hard and assuming I can see him I just sit there and take it all in. After getting the feeling back in my legs I ease over to him. If he disappears at the shot and I can't see him I get to my feet quickly and reposition til I can see him down while chambering another round. Then I keep him covered for a bit til I know he's not moving anymore. If it's a flopper I'm quick to my feet and readying for a followup shot while moving in on him. Most of the time it's just nerves and their head and neck are broken so I don't shoot a second time but if that head comes up and or he even remotely tries to stand I give the followup shot. I haven't had many floppers but the last bird I killed was one. At the shot he flipped and by his reaction I thought I caught him with the edge of the pattern even though I had a wide open shot and he was perfectly still. Shot felt perfect too and he was around 28-30 yards. I took off to him as he was flopping, at a fast walk as he was over a little rise by then and I couldn't shoot again. By the time I got to him he was done but I was surprised to see his head was literally smashed with shot. His whole head and neck looked like they caught the center of my pattern. I couldn't believe he flipped and flopped like that when he almost had to be dead instantly. They sure are some tough creatures just like other wild game.