turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Run to bird after the shot?

Started by mcw3734, February 20, 2021, 12:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goblen

I remain still. Especially if there are other turkeys near by. No need to educate them. Let them drift off. But even if he's alone I sit still. I've never put my foot on one. Hope I never have too.

Howie g

I usually run to em and continue running until I feel safe I'm on my side of the fence !!
Just kidding , I haven't ran to one in years . I normally just gather my things and walk to them .

Cut N Run

Quote from: bbcoach on February 20, 2021, 12:41:32 PM
I let them do their flopping with another round in the chamber.  Hevi 13 7's are the ticket.  No running or foot on the neck for me.

^^^Exactly right. 
Get 'em in close enough and it's not necessary.
I definitely keep the gun pointed that direction for a minute, but follow-up shots haven't been required.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Tail Feathers

I'm not as fast off the ground as when I started.  If I feel good about the shot I just stay at the ready a minute or two ready for a follow up shot if needed. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Hwd silvestris

I ask myself many a time why I run to them.  I will plan not to run but something comes over me and I catch myself running again to them. It's the darndest thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

When I shot lead absolutely, the stunned Tom shuffle is not fun especially when he catches his bearings. Nowadays if I see the shot connected I gather myself and make my way over.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

captpete

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 20, 2021, 07:33:20 PM
Around these here parts, where turkeys are generally found on some pretty steep country, every second you sit and wait after the shot is another ten or twenty yards down the hill a gobbler will flop.  I get to them as quickly as I can, cuz I don't want to have to carry one back up the slope any further than I have to.

Unfortunately, nowadays "as quickly as I can" is something more of a fast shuffle, or maybe even a medium waddle, than what you young'uns would refer to as running.    ;D

This sounds like me.  I use to run to them, now I'm more of the get to them at a quick walk with gun in hand type. I had one about 10 years that I folded at 25yds. He was doing his dead flop act. I sat and watch until he quit. I stood up, leaned the gun against the tree and started to walk to him. I got about 20 feet from the tree, his head came up, he stood up and off he ran as I ran back to get the gun. Never did find that bird.

the Ward

I will hold the gun on the gobbler for a minute or so after the shot, then stand and work my way over to him. If you need a follow up shot, it is much easier to swing on a moving target standing than sitting.

PalmettoRon

I do not run, but like Gobblenut said, if you're hunting at altitude and in the mountains, it's best to move quickly before the gobbler rolls down the mountain. As we all know, turkeys sometimes do a lot of flopping about though quite dead. In the mountain west, at 7500-9000 ft when that boy rolls down 75-100 yds or even more, that is no fun to trek down a steep mountain and especially back up.

It's like I learned as a boy quail hunting, there is no need to get in a hurry though, the shotgun is much faster than any quail, turkey and certainly me. Don't run to a downed turkey. Keep your eyes on him and if he puts that head up, you better be prepared to shoot, but otherwise enjoy the moment and soak it all in. Unfortunately, the hunt is over.

turkeykiller22

I use to run every time. After hunting with someone that taught me a lot about hunting I no longer run. The main reason is to not educate any other birds that might still be hanging around. Alabama turkeys are already pressured enough. The last thing they need is more pressure.
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

kytrkyhntr

I still get up and run to em, every time. Now I slow down once I got my hands on them. Where I used to throw em over my shoulder and find a good spot to take a picture, I now sit at the scene and enjoy the moment and give a little thanks. Something I didn't really do the first 15 years or so I did this.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Missouri hunter

I was taught to run after them by my uncle who started hunting with 23/4 lead loads. I have run after most of my turkeys since. If they are close it's more of a fast walk. One I was really happy I ran after was with a 20ga 6 lead and modified choke. He needed a second shot which I was able to deliver with the second barrel on my dads old 20ga. If I had not got after it I don't know if I would have gotten him. He was a few yards farther than I thought on the first shot.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

longbeards

Unless I see the pattern center the head I try to get to them as quick as possible. At 64 that's not too quick! I always step on there head as I hunt the mountains of WV and if and when it goes to flopping it may well end up down the mountain where gravity leaves it@!!

Yoder409

My knees and lower back can walk ALL DAY.  They can't run to the bathroom in an emergency.

I don't shoot til I'm reasonably certain there'll be no need for running or other silliness.

I prefer to saunter on over.............
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Happy

No need to get on them quick unless they are gonna flop somewhere i aint keen on going. Usually I just shoot and keep an eye on them. If they fall out of sight then I stand up and move to where I can cover them. I have learned over the years to listen to my gut and and take the first good   shot and not to push my luck on "maybe" shots through thick brush or obstacles. This has made life a whole lot simpler on all of my hunting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club