OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Run to bird after the shot?

Started by mcw3734, February 20, 2021, 12:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

When I first started turkey hunting in the late 80's, i remember being taught to (safely) hustle over to the bird after the shot and make sure it's done. That meant stepping on its head or giving it a twist. I took a couple decade hiatus from turkey hunting and now that I'm watching videos, I never see anybody doing that. Maybe occasionally if somebody took a long shot.

Was anybody else taught that? Does anybody still instinctively do it? I do. Or maybe because of this era of tight chokes, red dots and TSS, a shot bird is pretty much anchored?

TJR

9 out of 10 I run to. Old habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobbes

I used to charge after them, but decided long ago that running with a shotgun wasn't wise.  Also, the shotgun is more than capable of making a second shot if necessary.

guesswho

I'm not near as fast a the shot coming out of the barrel, so I take my time.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bbcoach

I let them do their flopping with another round in the chamber.  Hevi 13 7's are the ticket.  No running or foot on the neck for me.

THattaway

Ran to birds back in the lead days. Had to sometimes. Since hevi shot and tss I watch the broke neck shuffle then walk out.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Greg Massey

To old to RUN, i just walk over to them with these new TSS, it pretty much dresses the bird for you after the SHOT. I sure don't want to fall and mess up my turkey season with dislocated hip, broke leg or sprain ankle. I'd rather live to hunt another day safety.  :fud:

RutnNStrutn

I've seen it on hunting shows, but personally I've never done it.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

owlhoot

Quote from: THattaway on February 20, 2021, 12:46:50 PM
Ran to birds back in the lead days. Had to sometimes. Since hevi shot and tss I watch the broke neck shuffle then walk out.
This right here.
Purty silly to run like crazy with a loaded shotgun through the woods. I've ran to a turkey to get my foot as his neck as quick as possible years ago. Shot a pump so never shucked a round in. Haven't done it years now. 

Dtrkyman

I just sit against the tree and smile!  I will stand up quickly if they drop out of sight but I can shoot faster than I can run if one got up.  Has not happened to me.

A friend of mine lost a bird years ago, he rolled it in a field and was trotting to it, it got up and ran off, he chased it and It wound up going over a rise and he never saw it again, he stopped and looked at his gun and was like DUH!

fmf

Usually no, but it depends on the shot and how much i can see the bird. If he immediately drops out of sight, or if i shot him next to a tree and he flops behind it, things like that I will try to get to him pretty quick. Otherwise I generally just sit there and enjoy the moment and give thanks before I go check him out.

Tom007

Sit and enjoy the moment. If he's flopping, I am ready to drop the hammer if he starts to seriously retreat....

ol bob

RiverRoost

A shotgun propped up on the knee offers a much steadier and more accurate follow up shot if needed than free handing one coming to a quick halt from running.

MK M GOBL

Seen it in those old videos I watched did it too, not anymore though, I kill them close with some lead and they're dead! No need for any of this tss stuff...