Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What do you think about this patterning idea?

Started by Squidkid, February 18, 2021, 05:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Interesting idea.  I agree that the obvious complication would be getting all the targets lined up.  I suppose if you had big enough targets for the longer distances you might not have to worry about aligning things too much.

Then again, if you don't get them perfectly aligned and your back targets are off a bit, you will then have doubts about whether your gun is shooting a centered pattern at those longer ranges. 

Finally, the only way you will know if shooting through the paper is affecting the patterns at the longer ranges would be to shoot individual shots at those ranges to compare patterns. 

In the end, probably just best to do as others have suggested and shoot one shot at 40 to be sure you have a killing pattern that is centered and call it good.   Again, though,...interesting thought...  :D ;D

Dtrkyman

Hal had a formula for patterns, count your 40 yard 10 inch circle and subtract a certain percentage every 10 yards or something to that effect.  This was for max range estimates.

Now that I load my own and I am satisfied with the patterns I have not shot a turkey load at a target in 3 or 4 years, luckily my gun shoots a dove load the same at 10 yards as a turkey load so if I want to check my sight I just use a dove load.

You could also sight in a turkey load then shoot a dove load, if it shoots different just keep the target and you can still check poi.

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

perrytrails

Shoot one at 40, wouldn't hurt to shoot one at 15.

Most people wonder why they miss inside of 20ish.

When they get close, inside of 20, you better draw a mean bead on em with these new chokes and Tss.

Would be interested in how those patterns look when you line them up.

Tom007

Quote from: Squidkid on February 18, 2021, 05:39:22 PM
Seeing that ammo is expensive and shootings lots of turkey loads is pretty painful, what about this?
Couldn't a guy line up let's say 3 large sheets of paper at distances of 30,40 and 50 yards and shoot one shell thru all of them?
Hitting an actual spot is not my main concern. Seeing how the pattern spreads at various distances is.
My thought is after testing various choke/shell combos with this idea, I can pick the one I want and dial it in.
What's wrong with my thinking?
Will the little resistance of the paper adversely effect the pattern after going thru the first piece?
Even if it does, wouldn't it effect all the loads?
Thoughts?

It's fun to experiment with patterning. As the various responses "hint" to explain that our forum really concentrates on shots 40 yards and in, we all strive to follow theses ethics when we hunt. If you get your gun dialed in to a solid pattern right to 40, you are giving that bird an ethical harvest, we owe them that respect....I believe this sentiment echoes all our members here...best of luck....be safe

davisd9

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 18, 2021, 11:23:05 PM
Hal had a formula for patterns, count your 40 yard 10 inch circle and subtract a certain percentage every 10 yards or something to that effect.  This was for max range estimates.

That rule of thumb is for TSS.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: perrytrails on February 19, 2021, 03:17:31 AM
Shoot one at 40, wouldn't hurt to shoot one at 15.

Most people wonder why they miss inside of 20ish.

When they get close, inside of 20, you better draw a mean bead on em with these new chokes and Tss.

Would be interested in how those patterns look when you line them up.

My pattern at 15 yard with TSS is larger than any Hevi or lead pattern I had at 15 yards.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Ol timer

With the prices and availability of getting ammo this idea seems like a idea, unless you like shooting paper over Turkeys.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Ol timer on February 19, 2021, 07:41:39 AM
With the prices and availability of getting ammo this idea seems like a idea, unless you like shooting paper over Turkeys.
The main issue I'd foresee is that if you only shot one load through a line of down range targets you'd have no idea how each pass through affected velocity, trajectory, or shot column unless you also shot one load at each individual distance to compare. You may very well find that it works and from then on can line them up and fire away. Or you may find that something as simple as three sheets of paper really does affect all of those aforementioned aspects of the load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squidkid

Quote from: davisd9 on February 18, 2021, 10:23:44 PM
What shell do you want to pattern?

I've got lb Xr 2oz at 1200fps, Winchester extended2oz at1225, hevii13 2 1/4 oz at 1050, hevi13 2 1/4 oz at 1050, lb xr 2 1/8 oz at 1050 and hevishot magnum blend 5,6,7 at 1200.
All of them 3.5 #6 except one of the hevi13 is #7.
I just bought a colonial 'star dot' .675 and a Carlson's lb xr. 683
So I have a little shooting to do.

davisd9

Quote from: Squidkid on February 19, 2021, 08:43:57 AM
Quote from: davisd9 on February 18, 2021, 10:23:44 PM
What shell do you want to pattern?

I've got lb Xr 2oz at 1200fps, Winchester extended2oz at1225, hevii13 2 1/4 oz at 1050, hevi13 2 1/4 oz at 1050, lb xr 2 1/8 oz at 1050 and hevishot magnum blend 5,6,7 at 1200.
All of them 3.5 #6 except one of the hevi13 is #7.
I just bought a colonial 'star dot' .675 and a Carlson's lb xr. 683
So I have a little shooting to do.

Well to test your theory to see if it would work. You could shoot a 40 yard pattern with one of the shells then do the 30 and 40 yard pattern to see if it changes the 40 yard pattern. You would need a control which would be the 40 yard pattern alone. If it works then do it.

Squidkid

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 18, 2021, 10:38:30 PM
Interesting idea.  I agree that the obvious complication would be getting all the targets lined up.  I suppose if you had big enough targets for the longer distances you might not have to worry about aligning things too much.

Then again, if you don't get them perfectly aligned and your back targets are off a bit, you will then have doubts about whether your gun is shooting a centered pattern at those longer ranges. 

Finally, the only way you will know if shooting through the paper is affecting the patterns at the longer ranges would be to shoot individual shots at those ranges to compare patterns. 

In the end, probably just best to do as others have suggested and shoot one shot at 40 to be sure you have a killing pattern that is centered and call it good.   Again, though,...interesting thought...  :D ;D

I'm thinking a laser bore sighter or scoped gun in a lead sled would allow for pretty easy lineup.
I'm hoping anyway.
I'm also thinking that after a couple shots, the pattern will tell me what to shoot and I can pattern that one at single targets at different distances.
Once again, it's 8 degrees out, just got done shoveling again and I have spent a little money. I'm kinda bored....lol

Tom007

Quote from: Squidkid on February 19, 2021, 08:55:59 AM
Quote from: GobbleNut on February 18, 2021, 10:38:30 PM

I'm thinking a laser bore sighter or scoped gun in a lead sled would allow for pretty easy lineup.
I'm hoping anyway.
I'm also thinking that after a couple shots, the pattern will tell me what to shoot and I can pattern that one at single targets at different distances.
Once again, it's 8 degrees out, just got done shoveling again and I have spent a little money. I'm kinda bored....lol

Good luck to you, post some pics...

captfire

WHY NOT JUST SHOOT ONE AT 30 YARDS IF ITS GOOD LET HIM GET IN RANGE SHOOT HIM AND DONE ..

Squidkid

Quote from: captfire on February 19, 2021, 09:20:25 AM
WHY NOT JUST SHOOT ONE AT 30 YARDS IF ITS GOOD LET HIM GET IN RANGE SHOOT HIM AND DONE ..

Because I don't want to.