OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What do you think about this patterning idea?

Started by Squidkid, February 18, 2021, 05:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squidkid

Seeing that ammo is expensive and shootings lots of turkey loads is pretty painful, what about this?
Couldn't a guy line up let's say 3 large sheets of paper at distances of 30,40 and 50 yards and shoot one shell thru all of them?
Hitting an actual spot is not my main concern. Seeing how the pattern spreads at various distances is.
My thought is after testing various choke/shell combos with this idea, I can pick the one I want and dial it in.
What's wrong with my thinking?
Will the little resistance of the paper adversely effect the pattern after going thru the first piece?
Even if it does, wouldn't it effect all the loads?
Thoughts?

Happy

I would think that the pattern would be affected somewhat after passing through the first paper but that just my thoughts out loud.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Squidkid

Obviously velocity will be affected a little bit but I can't see the pattern.

Jimspur

Might work. I think it would be hard to get the targets lined up.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Squidkid

Quote from: davisd9 on February 18, 2021, 08:02:01 PM
Or just shoot 40 yards.

And how does that help me see what the pattern is at 30 and 50?

Greg Massey

Quote from: Squidkid on February 18, 2021, 08:10:01 PM
Or just shoot 40 yards.

If you have a good pattern at 40 and reduce your distance coming back to you , all of your patterns should increase in numbers with your patterns. Just opinion. 

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 18, 2021, 08:15:45 PM
Quote from: Squidkid on February 18, 2021, 08:10:01 PM
Or just shoot 40 yards.

If you have a good pattern at 40 and reduce your distance coming back to you , all of your patterns should increase in numbers with your patterns. Just opinion.
I agree with the one shot at 40. If you're hellbent on trying this idea, why not just put one at 40 and one behind that? Would seem like going through one sheet of paper wouldn't affect velocity and trajectory as much as going through two sheets, and you'd have an unaffected 40 to evaluate 40 and under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmf

I have no idea how it will work, but if you do it take pics and post them up.  I'd be interested to see your results

albrubacker

:agreed:
Quote from: fmf on February 18, 2021, 08:55:15 PM
I have no idea how it will work, but if you do it take pics and post them up.  I'd be interested to see your results
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

owlhoot

Quote from: fmf on February 18, 2021, 08:55:15 PM
X3 go for it.

Squidkid

I definitely will. Problem is I'm north and won't see shooting weather for at least a month if I'm lucky.

WTNUT

davisd9

What shell do you want to pattern?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer