Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Do You Condition Your Body For Tough Public Spring Hunts?

Started by quavers59, February 15, 2021, 02:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

Great replies here!
I really think my Monday- Wednesday- Friday Bodybuilding Routine thag covers the whole Body is the most important  for me. If takes about 1 Hour or so and is good for maintaining  Size that you built up as a young man.

GobbleNut

I've done the guzintas and it is 9.7 yards from my recliner to the fridge.  Therefore, I have determined with some level of accuracy that I walk three quarters of a mile every day,...more or less depending on how hungry I am on any given day.   :angel9:

THattaway

I hunt deer for 3.5 months then finish up with another month of wood duck hunting trekking swamps with waders, made 6+ miles on some trips. That along with cutting and splitting wood and a little scouting usually has my legs under me for the season.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

ddturkeyhunter

Never have done much anything extra before hunting, just have always been very active. But just retired past year so will see how things go this spring. But then again I don't care I am retired now, can take my time.

Greg Massey

Walking on treadmill and making love 3 - 4 times day's ... man i"m tried... :jackson:

THattaway

"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

AndyH

I do 16 oz. curls 4-5 times a week and walk from the Refrigerator to my recliner everyday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: Spurs Up on February 15, 2021, 07:14:12 AM
Quote from: quavers59 on February 15, 2021, 02:11:35 AM
    For myself ,I  still work out hard with the Weights at age 61. 3 times a week + full body.
    Martial Arts every day for about 45 minutes. Just started my 40th year involvement in Karate. I used to Teach that as well. We did plenty of Standing Jujitsu.
    Plenty of Muay Thai as well.
   Twice a week,I  hit my 125lb Heavy Bag. Starting my 45th year of Boxing. Long time indeed. Most Martial Arts Schools have the 40lb Heavy Bags. That is good for the kids- but an adult would do better with a 80lber.
   I only go at 75% with my Boxing on the 125lb Heavy Bag as,I  use no Hand Wraps. I would say for most men- wrap your hands .
    And,I  Hike as often as possible.I try to get in a good Mountain  Hike in on a weekend day. And in the Spring + Summer,I  get my Mountain  Bike out.
  So- how do you prepare for Tough Public Spring Turkey Hunts?

If I mistakenly get to your hunting spot — any spot for that matter  — before you, it's yours. All yours. Just don't beat me up.

I'll show up to anyone's spot with Rakkin or Quavers.....and stand behind them when they explain that the spot is now ours.....lol  :blob10:

quavers59

EastKyGobblerSlayer

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 15, 2021, 10:27:03 AM
Walking on treadmill and making love 3 - 4 times day's ... man i"m tried... :jackson:

Greg your the Rick Flair of Turkey hunting lol I wanna see you with one over your shoulder this spring while yelling WOOO

Ive been doing 45-60min of workout everyday since the fall last year, I do not enjoy the cardio portions. Ive been jokingly telling my wife my motivation during workouts is to run down a gobbler and catch him.

grayfox

I usually just watch a few turkey hunting shows. Like to eat something also while watching them. I will normally go to the kitchen & get the food myself if I'm in the living room. But if I'm way back in the bedroom it's too far to walk so I just holler at my wife to bring me something. Then by opening day I'm good to go.

Ol timer

I do finger conditioning so when the over the counter tags go on sale I have lighting speed tying on my laptop to get all them turkey permits before they sell out.  :emoticon-cartoon-012:

fallhnt

Mountain bike. My fall hunts are tougher.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Crghss

I work out weekly, nothing special for the season. Substitute a couple of runs for scouting hikes.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...