OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Do You Condition Your Body For Tough Public Spring Hunts?

Started by quavers59, February 15, 2021, 02:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

For myself ,I  still work out hard with the Weights at age 61. 3 times a week + full body.
    Martial Arts every day for about 45 minutes. Just started my 40th year involvement in Karate. I used to Teach that as well. We did plenty of Standing Jujitsu.
    Plenty of Muay Thai as well.
   Twice a week,I  hit my 125lb Heavy Bag. Starting my 45th year of Boxing. Long time indeed. Most Martial Arts Schools have the 40lb Heavy Bags. That is good for the kids- but an adult would do better with a 80lber.
   I only go at 75% with my Boxing on the 125lb Heavy Bag as,I  use no Hand Wraps. I would say for most men- wrap your hands .
    And,I  Hike as often as possible.I try to get in a good Mountain  Hike in on a weekend day. And in the Spring + Summer,I  get my Mountain  Bike out.
  So- how do you prepare for Tough Public Spring Turkey Hunts?

Magdump

Heavy Russian kettlebells, heavy steel mace tire slams, and eating healthy!

Sir-diealot

Diet mostly year round, cheat for CHRISTmas and Fourth of July then right back at it. Walking the dog a few times a day helps and when not as raw cold as it has been I am trying to get out and get pictures of wildlife, so that gets me out walking a bit but it seems ever since I got the 300mm lens for the camera it has bee to raw cold out or raining but I just bought a camera rain jacket for my camera, not the one I wanted but it will help keep the camera dry and wind off my hands as I operate it. Also trying to do some light weight lifting, still having problems with the left shoulder and want to try to get a turkey with a bow this year so I need that shoulder to be able to hold up the bow while at full draw for a bit, I don't want to be shaking when I release the arrow.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

rakkin6

So first thing for me is a healthy diet. By that I mean lean meats like salmon, turkey, chicken and venison, fruits, veggies and I do take a multivitamin, glucosamine for the joints and drink some protein powders.

Cardio: Six days a week I do cardio three of those six are run days. Each run is different one will be for speed usually running my five miles in 35 minutes or so. Next run will be inclines running at bout 7:30 pace for 39 minutes every four minutes I will crank up the incline on the treadmill to about 7° for one minute. The next run will be for some distance between seven and ten miles. These are done every other day. On the days I don't run it is rotated between the stair stepper, row machine, swimming and a minimum six mile ruck march with about 65 lbs in my Alice pack. I try to get the ruck in every Saturday if weather permits.

Lifting: lift six days a week also with a split of chest/tris, bi's/shoulders and back/forearms. I throw some squats, kettlebell lunges and burpees in there for my legs. Don't do a ton on legs because that is the one part of my body that puts on mass real quick.

Just to be honest I did just retire from the Army after 23 years so I am used to this training regiment. Also I like hiring the heavy bag a few days a week.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Spurs Up

Quote from: quavers59 on February 15, 2021, 02:11:35 AM
    For myself ,I  still work out hard with the Weights at age 61. 3 times a week + full body.
    Martial Arts every day for about 45 minutes. Just started my 40th year involvement in Karate. I used to Teach that as well. We did plenty of Standing Jujitsu.
    Plenty of Muay Thai as well.
   Twice a week,I  hit my 125lb Heavy Bag. Starting my 45th year of Boxing. Long time indeed. Most Martial Arts Schools have the 40lb Heavy Bags. That is good for the kids- but an adult would do better with a 80lber.
   I only go at 75% with my Boxing on the 125lb Heavy Bag as,I  use no Hand Wraps. I would say for most men- wrap your hands .
    And,I  Hike as often as possible.I try to get in a good Mountain  Hike in on a weekend day. And in the Spring + Summer,I  get my Mountain  Bike out.
  So- how do you prepare for Tough Public Spring Turkey Hunts?

If I mistakenly get to your hunting spot — any spot for that matter  — before you, it's yours. All yours. Just don't beat me up.

quavers59

MO_HUNTER

Diet and exercise. Walking, riding bikes, and getting back to the gym.

Never know who you are going to roll up on in the turkey woods. I'm going to start punching the heavy bag too..

Tom007

Long 3-4 hour silent scouting walks. I hike through my areas, look, listen, pin-point sign. From March 1st on, I wake up as if I am going turkey hunting, and hike till noon some days. I find this gets my biological clock, and cardio ready for my Spring onslaught. Some days it's tough, but it sure beats a treadmill, and the views are fantastic......can't wait.

guesswho

I like to ride my bike to and through our local WMA, even during the season.  I've heard complaints at the check station about some old man riding his bike and scaring away all the turkeys.  I've kept my eyes open on my rides and I haven't seen him yet.

Then I lift weights at the house and chase my Doberman the rest of the day.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Meleagris gallopavo

A weighted vest is useful.  I use it when walking and doing squats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

btomlin

Gut punches...lots and lots of gut punches gets me ready for hunting.  Lol.

I am usually really active throughout the year between hunting, trapping, golf(I walk), fishing, so I don't use an exercise plan.  This time of year, however, I tend to slack.  I will get on the elliptical but hate it.  I just don't hate it as much as walks in -10 degrees.  It typically doesn't take me long to get "into hunt mode" esp since I gave up the smoking 10yrs ago.  Good lungs go a long ways...

SD_smith

Sit-up x1 rep (getting out of bed)
Controlled fall sit-up x1 rep (getting IN bed - must do this because an uncontrolled flop can result in getting a concussion from the headboard and concussion protocols can put you out for up to 2 weeks)
Heavily weighted squat and pause x1 rep (if it's taco Tuesday than definitely can pump those numbers up a bit)
Bicep curls until fail (some days that chip bag is endless)

Happy

I send my boy down to the public land parking lot an hour before shooting time. He likes making people uncomfortable. For some reason a 270lb football lineman in a pair of boxer shorts and one of those leopard print slingshot borat suites, complete with a pair of cowboy boots and Indiana Jones hat does the trick. His finisher is usually a Capri sun juice box and a feminine hey boys watcha doin?
Works great and I have all the space in the world.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SD_smith

Quote from: Happy on February 15, 2021, 08:54:57 AM
I send my boy down to the public land parking lot an hour before shooting time. He likes making people uncomfortable. For some reason a 270lb football lineman in a pair of boxer shorts and one of those leopard print slingshot borat suites, complete with a pair of cowboy boots and Indiana Jones hat does the trick. His finisher is usually a Capri sun juice box and a feminine hey boys watcha doin?
Works great and I have all the space in the world.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
See! Why be in shape if you can just outsmart them! Haha

kennedyh1990

Mtn Tough fitness 30-30 no gear program

A lot of cardio involved in this program and push ups, air squats, burpees, etc. It's been an excellent program for getting back into shape. Doing it for the 2nd time now and will finish up right before season gets started