Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Public Land Parking Lot- " Question". Has This Happened To You?

Started by quavers59, February 02, 2021, 02:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

The scenario  goes like this. I am usually first to park at a Public Land Parking Area in the Spring. Right around 3.50am- the first of the Trucks start to pull Into the parking area. The other Spring Turkey Hunter of course sees me still in my vehicle with his headlights.
    Now usually,I  walk in a good 1 mile or so at around 4am. Earlier  though if 1 or 2 trucks pull in within minutes of each other.
   Of course,I  have everything  out and ready to go on my Hood. So in,I  start to walk while the new arrivals start grabbing at stuff really quick.
    Usually,I  am no more then 40 yards into my walk with my Flashlight when,I  hear some fast footfalls and then-- " The Question".
     Where Are You Going?  My Brother  in Law and,I  have a standard  answer.
   WHERE THE TURKEYS ARE. And keep on walking in. Now sometimes,I  won't  get a question- but a statement . Both of us are going to the " Field around #$%& Pond.
    Now,I  am parked first and walking in first!! As far as ,I  am concerned if that area is the one,I  have in mind- I deserve it because,I  am first parked and the first to walk in.
   Now- it may seem like a Safety Question when these guys who are fast grabbing things want to know where you will be set up.
   But consider this- you will be giving away hard won scouting info! Info that these guys may not have. And you are being delayed in talk while the guys partner fast grabs stuff for both of them!
   So my quick + Loud response to either a Question or a Statement  is- I WILL BE WHERE THE TURKEYS ARE.
   This usually happens to me a good 3 or 4 times each Spring. My Brother in law got the same question  many times as well because like me - he made sure to Park First.
   Gobblers in my area of Public Lands are getting harder to come by with so many new Spring Turkey Hunters because of the Chinese  Virus.  I am sure other Spring Turkey Hunters here have been asked- " The Question ".

WildTigerTrout

I have had this happen before.  I don't get specific but will let them know the general area I will be in.  I have asked the question myself to other hunters.  I asked for two reasons.  One, I don't want to interfere with their hunt or visa versa and also safety.   Many times if I go to pull into a spot on public land and see another vehicle or two already there I will go elsewhere as there is plenty of public land in Pa.  It's tough hunting public land because the public owns it! Even if I don't like it other hunters have as much right to be there as I do.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

quavers59

Some years back in New York,I  was all set to walk in and 2 trucks arrived. The 3 guys told me where they were going to hunt. I told them,I  would be on a certain Ridge.
  One of them got the Vocal Gobbler in their area. No Gobbling in my area.
   Next morning,I  parked first again and the same 2 Trucks pulled in behind me. The same 3 guys get out and we worked out the very same verbal contract.
   I had a hot Gobbling Tom on my Ridge just above me! 5 minutes later,I  heard a whistle. 2 of the 3 guys broke their verbal contract and started up the Ridge above my position. They spooked the Gobbler.
  So much for verbal contracts..

guesswho

Couple things come to mind.   You walk a mile or so in.   Ok I get that.   My question is how many acres do you feel you are entitled to for being first in line?   2nd, if your not willing to tell someone the general area your headed do you really have a right to gripe if someone winds up in the same area?   I agree that by being first in line you are first to choose what area.   But it is public, so how big of an area are you entitled to claim.  1 mile in and 1 mile either side of that line?   I always share where I'll be, and will avoid any areas that people share where they're going.   Some public places only have a handful of parking areas.   It's all about communication and courtesy.    You tell me you're going to where the turkeys are and I'll probably tell you I'll see you there.  You tell me your going to xyz field by the pond I'll wish you good luck and you won't see me for the rest of the day.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

catman529

I like to ask people where they're going so we can try to stay out of each other's way. I never tell people I'm going where the turkeys are. I'll just tell em where I'm going to start out and the general area I'll be hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tom007

I hunt some public, but never run into this problem. The way I look at it, there are lots of variables here. The biggest one being how many parking/access area does the management area have?  If large tracts have multiple access points, then I personally would drive to " plan B" if a car beats me to the parking area I wanted to hunt. That probably would not happen, because I get to my spots 2.5 hours minimum before daylight, just my thing. All hunters have the right to hunt public land, but courteous/ethical hunters yield to others that get to a tract first. Again, if the tract is small with limited access, it gets tougher. Me, I won't hunt or deal with a tract that has this kind of access and pressure if for nothing else, SAFETY.  Here's the way it goes, always have a plan B. If you get beat to your plan A spot, make sure the next day you are the first one there. I know, but what happens if they kill that gobbler? All I can say here is "Welcome to Public Land Hunting". I myself hunt my share of public, but I have my access/out of the way entrances that keep me out of the general public's way. It definitely takes more scouting, very long walks before daylight, and patience. Most hunters quit after the first week, so the rest of the month, most of us are on our own. That's when the best hunting occurs....be safe, best of luck to all.
"Solo hunter"

RiverBuck

I hunted public land for close to 30 years and understand your scenario but never felt like not telling another hunter the general area I was going would be benificial.
I'm also a hunter that has several parking areas to start from and not the type guy who would run up a ridge above you... But, what you're dealing w is public land and the key word is public.

The last 10 years or so I only hunt private land. I enjoy it more mainly from the lack of pressure of the animals I'm after. If you're in an area that has more hunters than public land, you may want to look into finding some private.
There is no penalty for someone who walks into your spread on public. That's part of the game and if you want to continue to hunt public you should try and figure out how to use other hunters to your advantage.

Anyone who hunts public long enough can tell you a similar ruined hunt story regarding public land.

eggshell

I will talk to other hunters as well. I would much rather know where everyone is or at least I should expect them to be. I will go even further if they seem like nice guys and agree to honor each persons territory for the first 2-3 hrs and tell them my area is open after that. Many of them agree to share their area as well, all they want is first crack.  Like so many others have said...It's PUBLIC! Regardless I always tell other hunters if I hear them calling to a bird first I will not cut in and ask that they do the same. You can tread on my claim, but I really get antsy when I think a string of shot may be coming my way. All the turkeys in the world aren't worth getting shot, trust me. If they want to be butt holes and cut in on me working a bird, then they can have the damn bird if it's that important to them. I will still kill mine another day, time or place. Your going to find arsehole anywhere, but my experiences have been pretty positive on public lands. If I see vehicles on a spot I generally move on, unless it is a huge area. If I hear a bird gobbling I will listen for a while, I can usually get a pretty good idea if he is being worked, if so I move on. If someones sets up a 100 yards to the side of you and the bird goes to him then shake his hand and congratulate him, you have no gripe on public land. Sure it might aggravate you, but the law does not provide "dibbs" on a bird. 

Dtrkyman

You answering with I'm going where the turkeys are is not a strong starting point!  I would prefer to talk with any guys in a parking area, I have rarely parked where someone else already is.

However once I puled up to a gate, there was a truck there, I almost left but only knew that general area, so I went in, 100 yards into the trail the other hunter was standing off the trail seemingly waiting for gobble thirty? 

I simply asked if he minded if I slipped by and told him where I was headed, he said go for it, I ain't going far.

I have turkey hunted public quite a bit and have never had a bad experience. Most times it is quite the opposite.

As stated earlier, if you are heading into thousands of acres how much are you entitled to because you were already there?  I would actually prefer to hunt together but that hasn't come up.

Happy

Everywhere I hunt I have to deal with people. To be honest the public land has been actually easier to deal with others than the leases. Mainly for the fact that there aren't roads everywhere on the public but the people as a rule have been more respectful as well. Several years ago I had a non resident guy pull in behind me as I was shutting my truck door and ask where I was planning on hunting. When I told him his face fell. Turns out he had roosted a tom there the night before. I told him to have at it and I would go deeper to some other spots I knew. Just the fact that he had put in the work and was courteous was enough for me. On the few occasions that anyone that has encroached on me on public land they have backed out and most of the time I can tell a real turkey from a fake turkey on calling alone and give them a wide birth. Being crazy enough to go places most people won't is also a big help. The last couple of years I have noticed a lot of people seem scared of the dark as well as walking up these Appalachian mountains. Be smart about where and when you hunt, be respectful of others and always be careful to not make killing a turkey a must at all costs. Those couple of rules go a long ways.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Missed mallards

All the time. Haven't met a hunter yet that wouldn't encroach when one got hot.

I arrive and go where I planned. At least that's my plan this year. Had way to many "yeah we understand" conversations last year to last me a lifetime.

Grown men, kids, and throughout all have a hard time going to plan b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aspade17

Generally I'm lucky enough to hunt private land. That being said I do venture onto public land from time to time if the birds on private just aren't talking.

Only once have I ever encountered anyone with this situation. It was a father and son, with the boy never having shot a Turkey. The dad said where they had a ground blind set up so I made sure to stay out of that area even though I was there first. Wasn't where I planned to hunt but would rather have seen the kid get a bird anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hooksfan

In response to your post, answering in such a vague way when asked where you are going, absolves them of having any ethical constraints, in my opinion.
I relay the following story with the disclaimer that I am not proud of this. Rather; it is a testimony of how pride and placing what I thought others should think of me and placing killing a turkey (well honestly not just a turkey, but more than anyone else) above my pursuit of anything else, including my walk with God.

It was in the early 90's and I had just begun my teaching career in North Central Louisiana.  My father in law was a shade tree mechanic and had an endless supply of vehicles he had repaired in order to resale. On the night before the opening morning of Spring Turkey season, I would have my wife assist me as i would drive some of my father in laws vehicles to park at the gate I would be planning to hunt in the Kisatchie National Forest. I would park about three vehicles at a gate and when I actually showed up to hunt, my truck would be the fourth. As other hunters would show up and stop at the gate, I could hear them muttering to themselves and eventually drive away. That was my way of eliminating competition, as low down as it was.

3bailey3

i have been at a gated road at 4:00 two hours before first light and had a guy pull in a hour after i had been there with his son, they got out and he said where you going, i didn't wont to be a  in front of the kid and said i will move on,  the gated road was a mile long. i saw the same guy do the same thing the year before. the WMA states not to block gates and he pulled up right in front of the gate. Glad i got some private to hunt..