OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Secondary items

Started by Gooserbat, January 31, 2021, 02:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

I know you have essential items like shells, gun, face mask, calls and gloves, and I for one don't like loading down my vest with things I won't use but I do carry a few extra things. what are some of the secondary items you carry.

Myself I carry wet wipes, thermacell, binoculars, Emery cloth, scotch brite and calk.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Goblen

I carry all those plus water, hand held limb trimmers, bug spray.

rakkin6

Wet wipes, bug spray, snack if it is going to be a hunt until the afternoon, cloth for my red dot, water, pruning shears, and probably the 2 most important bug juice and a THERMACELL.

I wear leafy suits over pants and shirt I spray down both my leafy suits and boots with permethrin. Just the jacket and pants though. Nothing that touches my skin. Still kind of weary about it touching my skin and sweat. There were guys that had bad experiences with spraying down their uniforms with it when I was in the Army. We always sprayed our uniforms down before going overseas to Iraq/Afghanistan etc. Just my personal choice though

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

crow

water, range finder/used as a monocular, TP

GobbleNut

"Gun, license, shells, calls" is the phrase I say to myself and anybody else that might be with me each time we leave camp or the truck.  Those are the can't-do-without items.  Depending on the situation, a flashlight may be added to the "must have" list.  I almost always carry binoculars.

Anymore, since I have gotten where I want to be prepared to film hunts if the situation is right, I next confirm I have camera(s), tripod(s), and charged batteries. 

In my cargo pants (always wear those), I will make sure I have my gloves and head net.  If I am not carrying my backpack or wearing a vest (again, depends on the anticipated hunt as to which I will have, or both), I will also make sure I have liquid (water, etc.) and a snack or two in the cargo pockets,...and always a pocket knife of some sort,....and, oh yeah, a "visual aid" for when the need arises.

For most all hunts anymore (because of the filming), I carry my backpack with the camera stuff.  I generally have extra water/fluids and snacks, flashlight, small emergency-gear packet, extra knife and sharpener, shears, pen, spoon,....and maybe, since I am prone to loosing things, an extra pair of gloves and head net or bandana. 

Depending on the place I am hunting and the anticipated need, I may or may not throw in a pad to sit on, although I am perfectly capable of sitting on the ground (if it is dry). 

If I remember to, I will also throw in the kitchen sink,...just to be sure...   :D ;D

Happy

Carry food and water and a crown royal bag packed full of goodies such as TP, matches, lighter, paracord, medical tape and seasoning.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tom007

Secondary items: Cell phone, small pruners, turkey tote strap, bino's, rangefinder, anti fog/lens wipes, small pen style flash light (only for emergency), and of course toilet paper......
"Solo hunter"

Southerngobbler

orange vest in my pocket, I only pull it out when I see someone sneaking in on me or when I have a gobbler over my shoulder.

rakkin6

Quote from: Southerngobbler on January 31, 2021, 09:05:50 AM
orange vest in my pocket, I only pull it out when I see someone sneaking in on me or when I have a gobbler over my shoulder.
I bring a blaze orange hat with me for the same reasons. I will also wear it over my facemask when I am walking trying to strike up a bird, I hunt nothing but public land so better safe than sorry. Once I strike up a bird or just decide to setup it comes off but able to get.to in case I see another hunter.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

deerhunt1988

Can't believe no one has mentioned compass. To me, it is actually a necessity. I'll wipe with leaves, fight insects, snap twigs, and see with my eyes before I leave my compass.

Jstocks

Limb trimmers and deet is a must.

Greg Massey

Pretty much all the items listed , but i will add i now carry one of those extra charging sticks for my cell phone.

Ol timer

I pack a few 800 mg ibuprofen's my back is shot from years in construction so long sits on the ground is not for a old man like me without some pain killers.

rakkin6

Quote from: Ol timer on January 31, 2021, 04:47:26 PM
I pack a few 800 mg ibuprofen's my back is shot from years in construction so long sits on the ground is not for a old man like me without some pain killers.
Lol do what you gotta do man

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

mcw3734

iPhone w/ OnX
Toilet paper