Main Menu

Secondary items

Started by Gooserbat, January 31, 2021, 02:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 01, 2021, 07:00:03 PM
What is a license?

I hear that a lot from Oklahoman's when I am there. lol

A bottle of Aleve with extra cotton stuffed in it to silence it, wet wipes, thermacell, anal wipe, knives one in pack I am using, one in pocket, one in another pocket, compass when I am in an area I do not know.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

reflexl

rakkin6

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

shaman

Besides the essentials, I carry:

1)  A small coffee thermos
2)  a bag of peanuts
3)  TP
4)  A compass  Our area is prone to extreme fog conditions.  I've been out and had visibility drop to zero.  Even though I was a quarter mile from the house, it was a struggle getting home.  I had to shoot azimuths and go from tree to tree.
5) A whistle.  If a worst-case scenario happens, yelling for help will do more harm than good.  The whistle is there for those scenarios.
6) Space blanket-- it's small, light and stuff happens
7) A spare shoelace.  Besides the obvious, it functions as a turkey tote.
8) Electrical tape.
9) A Buck 110 folding hunter. 
10) a cellphone or a walkie talkie-- usually both

I'm particularly careful, even though I hunt my own 200 acres and I'm never more than a mile from the house.  I used to do a lot of back country hiking and backpacking.  From experience, I can tell you that losing use of a leg and having to crawl out to the truck is a real day-wrecker.

One of the most important things is what I leave behind.  I always let someone know where I am and what I'm up to and always set a time that I'll check in. If I don't, something's really wrong.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

avidnwoutdoorsman

Quote from: rakkin6 on February 01, 2021, 06:16:01 PM
Quote from: avidnwoutdoorsman on February 01, 2021, 05:40:39 PM
Quote from: Gooserbat on January 31, 2021, 02:22:07 AM
I know you have essential items like shells, gun, face mask, calls and gloves, and I for one don't like loading down my vest with things I won't use but I do carry a few extra things. what are some of the secondary items you carry.

Myself I carry wet wipes, thermacell, binoculars, Emery cloth, scotch brite and calk.

You've got them nailed; calls, rangefinder, knife/multitool, pruning sheers, snack, Copenhagen, water, dehydrated wipes, ammo, head lamp, gloves, mask, decoys, orange hat/beanie.... tags/$20/id
Oh yeah forgot about Copenhagen, but that's not a secondary object that gets checked with my license, gun and shells lol.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Every time I leave the house.... wallet, keys, Cope good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep Calm and Gobble On!