OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rob Roberts choke tubes?

Started by ChesterCopperpot, December 14, 2020, 07:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Had Rob Roberts Custom Gun Works doing some work on a shotgun of mine and got to talking to one of the gunsmiths about their chokes. Does anyone have any experience with their turkey chokes? If so, what are your thoughts? Do they hold up to makers like Indian Creek, Sumtoy, Comp-N-Choke, Kicks, etc.? Thanks for the help.

Tom007

Yes sir. I have a Rob Roberts Final Strut .660 tube in my Super Black Eagle. It is non-ported and shoots the Original Federal Heavy Weight #6's unreal. It also shoots Winchester Longbeards really well. I highly recommend their chokes. You won't be disappointed. Rob does great work. Good luck....
"Solo hunter"

wchadw

I used to have a sbe3 and used a RR 660. I tested a lot of chokes and it and Sumtoy shot the best patterns with tss 9s and long beards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: wchadw on December 14, 2020, 07:58:36 PM
I used to have a sbe3 and used a RR 660. I tested a lot of chokes and it and Sumtoy shot the best patterns with tss 9s and long beards

X2, amen Chad. Be well....
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Tom007 on December 14, 2020, 07:53:16 PM
Yes sir. I have a Rob Roberts Final Strut .660 tube in my Super Black Eagle. It is non-ported and shoots the Original Federal Heavy Weight #6's unreal. It also shoots Winchester Longbeards really well. I highly recommend their chokes. You won't be disappointed. Rob does great work. Good luck....
Thanks so much! I typically run Longbeard #5s out of a .665. Any suggestions on constriction for what I get from Rob? Was thinking .665 or .670

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on December 14, 2020, 08:25:19 PM
Thanks so much! I typically run Longbeard #5s out of a .665. Any suggestions on constriction for what I get from Rob? Was thinking .665 or .670

I have the .660. It does real well with 3.5 inch LB 5's, both the 2 1/8 oz mag and the 2 oz loads...That's what the Super Black Eagle recommendation was. Good luck....
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: Tom007 on December 15, 2020, 04:55:36 AM

I have the .660. It does real well with 3.5 inch LB 5's, both the 2 1/8 oz mag and the 2 oz loads...That's what the Super Black Eagle recommendation was. Good luck....

Chad had great results, see. above thread with the .660 and the longbeards. You can ask them their opinion letting them know what gun your using. That affects what constriction they will recommend due to varying bore diameters of each gun manufacturer.. good luck, hope this helps you...
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Tom007 on December 15, 2020, 11:44:04 AM
Quote from: Tom007 on December 15, 2020, 04:55:36 AM

Chad had great results, see. above thread with the .660 and the longbeards. You can ask them their opinion letting them know what gun your using. That affects what constriction they will recommend due to varying bore diameters of each gun manufacturer.. good luck, hope this helps you...
Thanks again. I wound up ordering a .660. Turns out they don't make a .665 for invector plus, but he told me he thought the .660 would work best for the loads I usually run.

Tom007

Fantastic, I think you will be happy. Good luck, post some pics. What kind of gun do you use?
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Tom007 on December 15, 2020, 04:31:25 PM
Fantastic, I think you will be happy. Good luck, post some pics. What kind of gun do you use?
Long story! So funny enough that's how the gun wound up there. I bought a new CZ 1012 to play around with last summer. I've enjoyed a CZ 920 I've got so thought I'd give their new inertia gun a try. Anyhow, historically they've tapped their 12ga shotguns for Mobil chokes so that's what I expected. Well this time around CZ decided to find some crap  choke company to make a proprietary choke system for the gun (i.e. no, AS IN ZERO, aftermarket chokes). So I sent it off to Rob Roberts in the hope that they could shorten the barrel substantially and retap for Mobil chokes as all my other guns and chokes are Benelli. Unfortunately he couldn't shorten it due to overboring and could only tap for invector plus chokes. In the end it gets me into a much better choke system and other than that I love everything about the gun so I think it's worth it. I know the choke I get from them will work well. I'll try to get some pattern pictures up once I pull it all together. Overall CZ has an action that could make a really fine gun down the road but they need to offer some alternate barrel lengths and they need to get back to a tried and true choke system, whatever that might be.

wchadw

I think you will like the RR chokes. Only reason I'm not running one now is they don't have one for the gun I'm using now. It shot excellent in the sbe3

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on December 15, 2020, 06:44:38 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on December 15, 2020, 04:31:25 PM
Long story! So funny enough that's how the gun wound up there. I bought a new CZ 1012 to play around with last summer. I've enjoyed a CZ 920 I've got so thought I'd give their new inertia gun a try. Anyhow, historically they've tapped their 12ga shotguns for Mobil chokes so that's what I expected. Well this time around CZ decided to find some crap  choke company to make a proprietary choke system for the gun (i.e. no, AS IN ZERO, aftermarket chokes). So I sent it off to Rob Roberts in the hope that they could shorten the barrel substantially and retap for Mobil chokes as all my other guns and chokes are Benelli. Unfortunately he couldn't shorten it due to overboring and could only tap for invector plus chokes. In the end it gets me into a much better choke system and other than that I love everything about the gun so I think it's worth it. I know the choke I get from them will work well. I'll try to get some pattern pictures up once I pull it all together. Overall CZ has an action that could make a really fine gun down the road but they need to offer some alternate barrel lengths and they need to get back to a tried and true choke system, whatever that might be.

Awesome. Good luck with it, as Chad say's, and I agree 100% you will love it. Be safe, look forward to the pics....
"Solo hunter"

greentag

I shoot a .655 rob roberts in my sbe2,I love it,I use to shoot mag blends through it until I patterened a bunch of different tss through it,with federal 7x9 it will put 430 in a ten inch circle at 40,and the 20 yard pattern was a good even awesome pattern too, not just a hole the size of a dip can like a lot of the stuff are doing now.....I'm going to be using it from now on,it was crazy just how good the patterns were looking with it...I would say you would like them.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

AppalachianHollers

Don't know if RR has a guarantee on their chokes like IC, but if the .660 doesn't pattern to your liking I'd suggest backing off to a .670. Invector + is one of the most aggressive back bores on the market, I think second only to Mossberg's 835 which is a 10-gauge diameter. So it might do better with a wider constriction.

But, since you got it you might have found that it does amazingly as it is, rendering the question of whether it's the best constriction purely academic.