OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rob Roberts choke tubes?

Started by ChesterCopperpot, December 14, 2020, 07:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wchadw

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on December 16, 2020, 09:47:35 AM
Don't know if RR has a guarantee on their chokes like IC, but if the .660 doesn't pattern to your liking I'd suggest backing off to a .670. Invector + is one of the most aggressive back bores on the market, I think second only to Mossberg's 835 which is a 10-gauge diameter. So it might do better with a wider constriction.

But, since you got it you might have found that it does amazingly as it is, rendering the question of whether it's the best constriction purely academic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think choke constriction is more of a personal preference. Some people like super tight chokes that will put max numbers at 40 ignoring patterns at 10 yards that are size of a baseball. The 660 will be very tight under 15-20 yards. If you like a more open pattern at close ranges 670 might be better. 670 at 40 will be more open but definitely will do the job. Especially shooting TSS loads out of a 12ga

Note that the SBE performance edition turkey from benelli has the RR 655

I have a pattern at 30-35 yards with 660 I'll see if I can find pic and post

wchadw

RR 660 out of. SBE3 at 30 yards with Nitro TSS 7x9 blend

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on December 16, 2020, 09:47:35 AM
Don't know if RR has a guarantee on their chokes like IC, but if the .660 doesn't pattern to your liking I'd suggest backing off to a .670. Invector + is one of the most aggressive back bores on the market, I think second only to Mossberg's 835 which is a 10-gauge diameter. So it might do better with a wider constriction.

But, since you got it you might have found that it does amazingly as it is, rendering the question of whether it's the best constriction purely academic.

Seeing as the barrel is being re-tapped for invector plus I doubt that it's backbored to the degree you're thinking. Possible but I don't know. Regardless I was looking for a .665 or .670 and they don't off either in invector plus. They offer a .655, .660, or .675. So I described what load I like to run and what I'm looking to get out of it and he said he thought the .660 was my best bet. We'll just have to wait and see. If it's too tight I might see if they'll exchange and if not I'll probably try a Sumtoy .675.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: wchadw on December 16, 2020, 10:56:03 AM

Ain't much head left on that old boy is there?

wchadw

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on December 16, 2020, 11:31:37 AM
Quote from: wchadw on December 16, 2020, 10:56:03 AM

Ain't much head left on that old boy is there?

Yes. 12ga tss loads will make a mess of a turkey head at under 30

Tom007

Wow, impressive Chad, great info thread guys, thank you...be safe. Chester best of luck with your new turkey slayer.....
"Solo hunter"

SumToy

The guys a RR will know the choke they build and how it works.   Alot coming into play with the choke as in what makes it work.   Chokes with no stops sometimes can get by with smaller sizes to help pull the wad.    Now in the Winchester/Browning plus guns they can blow the pattern if you over choke them.  Smaller choke will have a hotter core and short range.  The more open choke will have a higher 10 inch number alot of times at the longer ranges.    The new SX4 is a plus barrel but will take a little smaller choke.   One thing to think about is that with longer forcing cones you choke little smaller.   RR likes to lengthen the forcing cone on stuff.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: SumToy on December 16, 2020, 04:39:39 PM
The guys a RR will know the choke they build and how it works.   Alot coming into play with the choke as in what makes it work.   Chokes with no stops sometimes can get by with smaller sizes to help pull the wad.    Now in the Winchester/Browning plus guns they can blow the pattern if you over choke them.  Smaller choke will have a hotter core and short range.  The more open choke will have a higher 10 inch number alot of times at the longer ranges.    The new SX4 is a plus barrel but will take a little smaller choke.   One thing to think about is that with longer forcing cones you choke little smaller.   RR likes to lengthen the forcing cone on stuff.   
That's helpful to know. I didn't lengthen the forcing cone on this gun but after talking with them today I did learn the bore diameter is .742. I spoke with them again about what I shoot (Long Beard #5s, sometimes #6s) and at what distances I want the pattern to open and they still recommended the .660 so we're going to give that a shot. If it winds up being too tight, though, I'm coming for a Sumtoy .675. Currently running one of your .665s out of a Benelli and love it.

SumToy

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on December 16, 2020, 05:10:12 PM
That's helpful to know. I didn't lengthen the forcing cone on this gun but after talking with them today I did learn the bore diameter is .742. I spoke with them again about what I shoot (Long Beard #5s, sometimes #6s) and at what distances I want the pattern to open and they still recommended the .660 so we're going to give that a shot. If it winds up being too tight, though, I'm coming for a Sumtoy .675. Currently running one of your .665s out of a Benelli and love it.

Thanks for your business in the past.   Now The Benelli is 721 bore.   721- 665=.056 take down.     Browning plus guns .742-.660=.082 take down.      Now the new SX4 likes the 660 but we have not had a barrel in to look at.    So dont know why at this point but have a idea.   

RR should be able to fix you but if some reason if dont work out just let me know if I can help. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

wchadw

Quote from: SumToy on December 17, 2020, 09:19:08 AM

Thanks for your business in the past.   Now The Benelli is 721 bore.   721- 665=.056 take down.     Browning plus guns .742-.660=.082 take down.      Now the new SX4 likes the 660 but we have not had a barrel in to look at.    So dont know why at this point but have a idea.   

RR should be able to fix you but if some reason if dont work out just let me know if I can help.
Sumtoy makes excellent chokes and optic mounts. I run them in my 20 and 410. Plan on sending my Yildiz 28 for some chokes. I have tried a lot of chokes and Sumtoy and RR were the best in my opinion in the benelli. They Sumtoy patterned just as good as the RR in my sbe3 and I tested just about everything

You can't go wrong with either choke

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: Tom007 on December 17, 2020, 11:04:47 AM

I have a SumToy choke I use in my Benelli. Shoots lights out with almost everything. It's nice to see our vendor comrades here help us out on these threads. They do it with class. Thanks Sum Toy
"Solo hunter"

wchadw

This is a pattern from my Yildiz 20 with Sumtoy 562. As you can see it throws an excellent pattern

Tom007

Amen, great pattern Chad.....wow
"Solo hunter"

Daddy rat

They might be as good but none better than 562 20ga Sumtoy!