OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can anyone recommend?

Started by Nate, November 27, 2020, 08:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate

I want a good red dot scope for my shotgun. Anyone use one they wouldn't part with for anything.

Gmed

Hard to beat a Vortex Venom....have 3 of them.

Nate

Thanks Gmed I'll take a look at it never knew they made one.

guesswho

I'll 2nd the Vortex recommendation, never have had a problem with any of mine. .   Also take a look at the Holosun.   I haven't hunted mine yet but really like it just messing around.   I like it because they offer it in a green dot, which I like better than the red.   Plus it gives you 3 choices of sight picture, and has a built in solar charger for the battery, so the sight works in daylight even with a dead battery, or no battery at all.     
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tom007

Just purchase a 1x4 Leupold VX 2 gold ring for my 870. It is a great scope with great field of view at short yardages. I also have a Bushnell BDC reticle scope on my Super Black Eagle. Great field of view, good turkey scope. Sir Diealot is correct, If you can find a Nikon Monarch Turkey Pro, they are a great scope. Good luck.....

Tom007

Sorry, missed that you are looking for a Red Dot. Burris Fast Fire 3 has been a great Red Dot for me. Good luck....

Neill_Prater

First of all, decide what type of sight appeals to you. I used old school Tasco tube type red dots on both my turkey guns for many years. A couple of years ago, the one on my primary gun became unreliable, so I replaced it with a Vortex II, also a tube type sight which offers the option of switching from red to green. I quickly realized I much prefer the green reticle, and I have been more than happy with the sight. I convinced my hunting buddy to purchase one as well when his bargain basement red dot shot craps, and he is very satisfied with his as well.

I decided last summer to purchase a 20 gauge, primarily to lighten the load. Originally I was going to mount another Strikefire, but decided since the whole idea behind buying a 20 was to save weight, it would make more sense to go with a reflex type weighing an ounce or two instead of another Strikefire which weigh closer to a half pound.

After a lot of research, I settled on a Holosun, again with the green reticle offering 3 choices of configuration. So far, all I have killed with it is poster paper, but I like the reticle and think it will quickly become my favorite.

In all honesty, if Vortex had offered a green reticle option in the Venom, that is likely what I would have purchased. Their customer service is fantastic.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Gobbler428

Another vote for the Vortex Venom. hard to beat 

sasquatch1

Love my vortex. Had a viper and venom.

Venom much preferred for the battery replacement.

The viper did mess up last year and give me issues turning off to where at times I needed to remove the battery to do so.

I sent in in for warranty work 2 weeks ago and made a note asking that, if it can't be repaired could it be replaced with a venom as they are priced the same?

Already got it sent back to me. Took a little over a week, and yep, in great customer service fashion they mailed me a brand new venom.

I however did just buy a FF3 as I found them on sale for $160 to try. It seems nice but I have no use on it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boykin Hollow

I vote for the Burris Fastfire 3 because I have three of them.  Hard to beat their warranty also

Snood Life

Vortex venom. 3 MOA.

Had mine three seasons. Zero issues.

Tail Feathers

I only have one season with it but I like my Nikon Spur.  I love the fact that it's a clear lens and doesn't look like a big orange eye from the turkey's point of view.  I scratched the lens this past season and I don't know how so durability will be something that only time will tell.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

paboxcall

FF3 or the Venom. Both built tough with stellar customer service, and there are quality low profile mounts for either.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

PalmettoRon

For those of you with a Holosun with the green dot, which model do you have? Is it difficult to mount? I am looking to mount a red dot/green dot on a Mossberg .410 pump. It has been interesting doing the research. The green dot definitely looks superior on several fronts.

guesswho

Mine is a he507c-gr-V2.   Easy to mount, mounts the same as the Vortex and FF's, just a different footprint.   EGW makes a 670 universal low profile mount that fits most guns.  Worst case scenario would be you have to elongate one of the holes by about 1/16, but it would probably fit the Mossberg without having to do that.   I think Sumtoy makes one as well. 
https://www.egwguns.com/trijicon-rmr-sro-holosun-407c-507c-mount-for-universal-670-radius
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff