Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

When Does Everybody Start to "Practice"?

Started by Turkeytider, November 26, 2020, 09:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

Just some chit chat while we wait out the winter. When does everybody pull out the calls and start driving everyone nuts at home and at the office? Am I the only one that periodically pulls out the pot calls and strikers pretty much year round ? Never forget when I was in the Army stationed in Missouri, come about January or so I would walk by my CO`s office and hear these sounds......! Lord, those were fun days!

drenalinld

chatterbox

I'm gonna start before too long. Abysmal deer season has me longing for warm, spring days with thunderous gobbles!
I had a flock behind me this morning with all kinds of kee-kee's and jake gobbling! It was awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Quote from: chatterbox on November 26, 2020, 09:13:58 AM
I'm gonna start before too long. Abysmal deer season has me longing for warm, spring days with thunderous gobbles!
I had a flock behind me this morning with all kinds of kee-kee's and jake gobbling! It was awesome!

Yep, that alone would make a trip to the woods worth the time and effort, in spades! There`s so much more to being out than just pulling a trigger, IMHO of course.

chatterbox

Quote from: Turkeytider on November 26, 2020, 09:20:12 AM
Quote from: chatterbox on November 26, 2020, 09:13:58 AM

Yep, that alone would make a trip to the woods worth the time and effort, in spades! There`s so much more to being out than just pulling a trigger, IMHO of course.
Absolutely!!!

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Sir-diealot

All the time. I am also in the habit of using them in the deer blind, if I have deer around and I make a noise I should not have I will let out a few yelps and that seems to relax them a bit.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Never walk by my cabinet without pulling one out and striking a note..........Happy Turkey Day my friends......

310 gauge

Can't stop. Ya'll hooked me selling all your "cut outs" on here, I'm constantly picking out something I can't seem to live without! Tis the season for used toys...keep 'em coming....haha

Spitten and drummen

I play calls just about everyday all year exceptwhen Im not home.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Cut N Run

Start?...in 1982.  Still working at it.  Not a competition caller, but it works good enough most of the time.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

3bailey3

i few i leave out that every time i past i play, that would be daily..

Tail Feathers

I play a call or three every now and then throughout the year.  I tend to start after Christmas in earnest.
But since I just ate a lot of turkey for Thanksgiving, I'm thinking I may start this weekend when the rain finally comes.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

HookedonHooks

The development of the hen(s) in your head should never stop after season is over. For me, it's a year round, continuous adjustment as the voices change in my  head and to recreate that with the particular call I'm using.

Listening to and eventually calling with a fall flock of hens will greatly increase your range of "turkey" and in my opinion is one of the most beneficial things you can do in the woods to improve your turkey calling.