OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

When Does Everybody Start to "Practice"?

Started by Turkeytider, November 26, 2020, 09:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmorgan9812

I pick my stuff up a "practice" about 2 weeks before season

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

Pots I usually fool with once a month or so, but I play the yelpers a little every day yearround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

For me, I fool with my calls year round.  After the holidays and with deer season ending 1 January, ALL of my calls come out and practice begins in earnest.  I will practice religiously with every call I have and when the end of March arrives I will have a good idea of what calls will go in the vest.  There are always some that make the list from years past since they have proven them self but several get shuffled around.  I will carry 4 to 5 pots with multiple strikers, a quality short box and several mouth calls everyday.  ALL will get used daily.  I believe in letting the turkeys sort them out and tell me what they like on any given day.

GobbleNut

Quote from: bbcoach on November 30, 2020, 07:43:28 AM
I believe in letting the turkeys sort them out and tell me what they like on any given day.

Truth.  Over the decades, I have witnessed too many incidents of turkeys responding to calling that I would never expect would attract them.  Because of that, I just make sure I have calls on me while hunting that will make everything from those pristine, "contest-level" turkey sounds to those that sound more like a donkey braying,...and then try to figure out what the gobbler I happen to be calling to at the time wants to hear. 

As for practicing during the off-season, if my mind wanders towards turkeys, I will occasionally pick up a call and run a few licks, but that is just to entertain myself more than anything.  More often though, if I get into "turkey calling mode", I will pull out the mouth-call-making rig and make a few calls with various combinations of reeds, stretches, and cuts to continue my never-ending search for the "holy grail" of mouth calls.  ...still on that search.   ::)

Dtrkyman

Just prior to season, just pop in a few mouth calls to make sure I get em broke in a little, for me they seem to get better after some use.

Mossberg90MN

I'm about to get started. I normally practice year round but I took a little break this fall. I mainly practice my mouth calls driving to work and home. But I do occasionally grab a pot call out of my vest (which I leave out on display in my home office).

Waiting for my fresh Tom teasers calls to arrive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: HookedonHooks on November 27, 2020, 07:15:21 AM
The development of the hen(s) in your head should never stop after season is over. For me, it's a year round, continuous adjustment as the voices change in my  head and to recreate that with the particular call I'm using.

Listening to and eventually calling with a fall flock of hens will greatly increase your range of "turkey" and in my opinion is one of the most beneficial things you can do in the woods to improve your turkey calling.

Better said than I ever could. Agree 100%.   :icon_thumright:

I would add a tip given to me an old turkey pro. Record yourself and play it back. Easy to do today with smart phones. Set it up, record, walk away 50 yards or so and call.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

quavers59

I practice about 3 days a week year round. Mostly Boxes + Pots.

Bowguy

I never stop either. There may be a slight decrease in my running em but not even close to stop

quavers59

This topic is now popular at njwoods+ waters. A few guys have replied that they start their practice on opening day when that ol Gobbler flies on down.
   For me though,I  never stop. At least 3 days a week . By April- it is everyday.

WV Flopper

Start? When was I supposed to stop?

Call year round, in doors. My son does as well, just to do it. The women loves it......not!