turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Blessed Man

Started by davisd9, October 19, 2020, 07:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

My middle son finally got to the age I felt comfortable taking him hunting. He has been after me to take him a while so I promised him we would go Saturday, 10/17. He asked me about it all week and I told him with no doubt we would go. Saturday we hung around with the family and watched some football. After the game me and my little man packed up to go.

We left later than I normally do as I know young attention spans can be short. We were going to go sit a ground blind on a food plot right off a power line. My oldest son and I have had success there from a portable blind so this offseason the three of us built a box to keep there.

We get to the stand about 5:30 and settle in. He does good and is having fun with my binoculars and finds my orange hat to wear. Eventually he gets antsy so we pull out the snacks. I am not sure how much success we will have as he is getting up and down, then sometimes forgetting to whisper, but we are together and that is why we came.

About 6:35 I hear movement behind us to the right. I look over and see movement. It is brown and white tail. They are the direction we walked in from so I figure a deer smelled our scent trail and did not like it. Anyway, a few minutes later I hear them walking again in same place and I see it is a doe. I put my hand on my boy and tell him to stay still.

She comes out and starts walking up the power line. I hear another deer walking behind her. I see it and realize it is a buck, good bodied buck. He is oblivious to the world except her. She is 30-40 yards up power line then cuts back into the woods. He sees this and picks up pace. It was now or never so I bleat and he stops. Picked my spot and squeezed the trigger. He reacted like he was hit hard. Boy and I high five. Go to the shot and he is laying 10 ft from where the impact was, love a Barnes bullets.

The good Lord smiled on us yesterday eve but even without any deer I was with one of my boys and for that I am a blessed man.

Big brother was waiting for us to get home. He was pretty excited for his brother.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

3bailey3

Congrats! That is Awesome

trkehunr93

Way to go Donald.  My youngest will be toting a gun during our rifle season for the first time, exciting times.

davisd9

Quote from: trkehunr93 on October 19, 2020, 09:01:06 AM
Way to go Donald.  My youngest will be toting a gun during our rifle season for the first time, exciting times.

I expect to see pictures Jim!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

PharmHunter

Chris O

That's awesome congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MS Boy

Awesome story and Congrats

trkehunr93

Quote from: davisd9 on October 19, 2020, 09:40:47 AM
Quote from: trkehunr93 on October 19, 2020, 09:01:06 AM

I expect to see pictures Jim!
Definitely!  I just hope he does better than I did this past spring.  We still have another shooting session or two so I'm confident he knows where to aim.  I carried a picture of a deer in my wallet with crosshairs on it for my oldest son so we could review once we got in the stand.  Lot to think about for a young mind. 

Tom007

Fantastic, memories will last forever......congrats
"Solo hunter"

Happy

Congrats on your hunt with you son. The barnes are a great bullet. Use them exclusively in my .223 and .243. Load either nosler accubonds or Hornady interbonds and gmx's in my .270's.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

THattaway

Way to go Donald and great buck. Congrats on that quiver full of sons. You are blessed indeed.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

shoer2

slicksbeagles1

Congratulations Donald on a great hunt and a nice buck

vt35mag

:happy0064:
Way to go!
You can tell he is some excited.

Greg Massey

That's awesome and that's a fine young boy ... nice buck...