News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Safety

Started by Spurs, January 21, 2019, 03:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Swather on January 23, 2019, 07:00:27 PM
I am not particularly fond of all the running with a shotgun that I see from turkey hunters.  I suppose they see that on TV shows and think it is OK for turkeys when they would not do it in other settings like on a dove field.
I never understood that either.  ??? I jack another shell immediately after shooting, just in case. Then I sit there for a few seconds, gun at the ready, to make sure I made a good shot. Then I get up and walk to my bird, after leaving my gun beside my gobbler lounger.

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Phillipshunt on January 22, 2019, 10:23:16 AM
I agree with saftey being important but leaving the saftey on while the Gobbler works closer is a little much for me. While moving thru the woods yes...but sitting motionless with the gun on your knee pointed in the direction you expect the gobbler to come from ...No no need. If your gun routinely goes off without touching the trigger you got gun problems, if your having  accidental firings  because you had your finger on the trigger you got mental problems. Neither is the guns fault it will not fire unless you pull the trigger or there is a mechanical problem. That's why muzzle control is the Number One priority. What gets me is people thinking as long as the saftey is on it's ok to point the gun at themselves or others. I've seen YouTube heros with a loaded gun barrel down on there foot, saftey or not that's stupid same show the guy in front has his gun slung on his back walking down hill the camera guy is filming down his barell the whole time if this hero would have stumbled and fell stock  first in the ground and the barell pointed at his friend y'all would have one less hero to imitate.
All true.

Neill_Prater

Muzzle control is the "best" safety. You know, the old "treat every gun as if it is loaded", along with never putting your finger inside the trigger guard until the shot is imminent. That said, I, personally, don't have a set criteria for safety release, it is dependent upon the circumstances. Generally speaking, if it gets to the point where I have the gun up and shouldered, the safety will be off whether or not the bird is actually in sight. Actually, to me, the act of going off safety any time prior to the actual shot is less troublesome than forgetting to put the safety back on immediately afterwards. I, admittedly, have been guilty of doing so. I suspect I am not the only one. Sometimes it is because of the anticipation of possibly needing to shoot again, sometimes it was probably just being caught up in the moment. One problem with hunting solo so much. I don't do it often, just know I have been guilty of doing so. That is an example of why the other safety rules, muzzle control and finger away from the trigger are so important.

I am sure many of you have seen the video of the FBI agent dropping his pistol when dancing, and the subsequent discharge of the weapon. If you will notice, the gun didn't discharge because of being dropped, it discharged because his finger hit the trigger when he grabbed the weapon.