OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Safety

Started by Spurs, January 21, 2019, 03:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

I agree with saftey being important but leaving the saftey on while the Gobbler works closer is a little much for me. While moving thru the woods yes...but sitting motionless with the gun on your knee pointed in the direction you expect the gobbler to come from ...No no need. If your gun routinely goes off without touching the trigger you got gun problems, if your having  accidental firings  because you had your finger on the trigger you got mental problems. Neither is the guns fault it will not fire unless you pull the trigger or there is a mechanical problem. That's why muzzle control is the Number One priority. What gets me is people thinking as long as the saftey is on it's ok to point the gun at themselves or others. I've seen YouTube heros with a loaded gun barrel down on there foot, saftey or not that's stupid same show the guy in front has his gun slung on his back walking down hill the camera guy is filming down his barell the whole time if this hero would have stumbled and fell stock  first in the ground and the barell pointed at his friend y'all would have one less hero to imitate.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Spurs

This is why I started this post.  While I 100% agree that the safety switch has the capability to fail and human interaction is where all fault lies, to ME (and likely every firearm safety instructor) will say that for a Safety mechanism to work, it must first be utilized properly to lower the potential for accidental discharge.
This year is going to suck!!!

bbcoach

Agree Spurs.  Safety first and foremost.  Question for you guys that kick the safety off as soon as you set down or as soon as you hear a gobble will admit that they forget to put the safety back on when they get up to move to another location.  Always keep the safety on until you are going to pull the trigger.

Harty

Safety on . Safety off and hopefully Boom.  I've also learned to softly take the safety off on my Browning. If I hit it firmly with my finger it goes "click" and turkey sometimes is gone. Unfortunately learned this the hard way

LaLongbeard

Quote from: bbcoach on January 22, 2019, 05:31:27 PM
Question for you guys that kick the safety off as soon as you set down or as soon as you hear a gobble will admit that they forget to put the safety back on when they get up to move to another location.
Answer:
No more or less than those that wait until the last second and then don't shoot for whatever reason.
I don't think when you take off the saftey has anything to do with forgetting to put the saftey back on, that's just careless gun handling.

Ranger

Growing up deer hunting with dogs and always with a shotgun (people that dog hunt with rifles are fools in my opinion and some of the most dangerous hunters out there) it was daily and often to be around men with guns out walking around. That being said all of them handled it in a way that you could tell they had done it a thousand times by the way they handled the end of the barrel specifically.  Always taught to click off the safety the moment you're about to shoot and always will do that with deer but I'll admit with turkeys this isn't always the case though no longer than a few seconds... we've all had at least one hear it.  However, never has the safety been clicked off when I couldn't see him yet, that's not for me. And to the muzzle point, people that have been around more shotgunners than rifles can tell a real gun handler quickly based on what he does with the business end.  Some of those videos make me cringe too
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Gamblinman

Soon as I have that bird on the end of my barrel, safety off. I may not pull the trigger for another 20 minutes, buts its ready. Safety is the first thing back on after harvesting the bird or I need to move the weapon.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Drycreek

Safety on till ready to shoot.

Gobbler428

I take the safety off when the bird gets in range and I am just about to press the trigger.

Swather

I am not particularly fond of all the running with a shotgun that I see from turkey hunters.  I suppose they see that on TV shows and think it is OK for turkeys when they would not do it in other settings like on a dove field.

Jeremy66

I have been primarily a waterfowler for my whole life until picking up turkey hunting a few years ago.  Even hunting ducks and geese the safety never come off until you are raising up to take a shot.  However, I feel when turkey hunting it is easier to take the safety off before the bird is in range but still no more than 80 yards out max.  I like to use my thumb and pointer finger to slowly slide the safety over to be as quiet as possibly.  Also helps reduce movement as the bird moves closer.   :fud:

SD_smith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD_smith

For any Black Hawk Down fans out there!

LaLongbeard

Quote from: SD_smith on January 24, 2019, 11:25:43 AM

Yep. There are times when a saftey will get you killed. But since turkeys don't shoot back we can use the saftey without worry lol.

RutnNStrutn

First of all, I'm very safety conscious, and never point my gun at anyone. I'm extremely aware of where my barrel is pointed at all times. I also never put my finger on the trigger until I'm ready to take the shot. Those things were drilled into my head by my father when I was a kid.
With that said, if I'm hunting with someone, I keep the safety on until I'm ready to shoot. But if I'm hunting by myself, I'll take the safety off when I see a gobbler, or have one gobbling close. I don't put my finger on the trigger till I'm ready to shoot anyway. Been doing it that way for years, never even came close to having an accident, so I don't see a need to change my routine now. I'd hate to screw up and try to pull the trigger with the safety on, only to realize that, and have to try to turn the safety off and then try to line up for a shot without spooking the gobbler. Sometimes you just don't have that much time anyway.