turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Safety

Started by Spurs, January 21, 2019, 03:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs

Been bindging on some turkey videos for the past few days and have noticed something that I find troubling.  Guys taking of their safety as soon as it sounds like a turkey is coming.  I even watched a guy take his safety off as soon as he sat down to work a bird.

Now I was raised to leave the safety on until you are ready to pull the trigger.

Serious question here:  Who takes their safety off before seeing one?
This year is going to suck!!!

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Gobble!

Happy

Not i. Few years ago I tried to shoot one with the safety still on. Didn't work.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

davisd9

I slide the safety off when I see the shot opening. I may not be shooting right away but it is about to come together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Spurs

Quote from: davisd9 on January 21, 2019, 04:04:11 PM
I slide the safety off when I see the shot opening. I may not be shooting right away but it is about to come together.

That's more of the version of how I do it, but never before I see the bird.

dejake

As soon as I know he's on his way, off it comes.

bobk

The safety is taken off when the bird is within range and I am preparing to fire.  This procure has never been a problem.

sixbird

I only take it off when I'm about to shoot. If he's in a field, I may take it off when I see he's committed and in range.
Trouble with taking it off when you hear one or when you first see one is that in the excitement of him coming in, it's easy to forget you did it and, if he doesn't come all the way to the gun, well, easy to overlook that small but potentially deadly action...
I ALWAYS double check that my gun is on safe and empty when I put it in the case, even if I checked it when I took it out or checked it one minute before. It's a seemingly redundant action but it could save a lot of heartache and a drastic change in your life or someone elses...

SteelerFan

Quote from: davisd9 on January 21, 2019, 04:04:11 PM

This.

In fact, it has evolved into a description to my buddies of how close of an encounter it was:

1. Worked a bird
2. Worked a bird, gun up
3. Worked a bird, gun up, safety off...

Spurs

Quote from: Gobble! on January 21, 2019, 03:59:20 PM
I do.

Not trying to start a huge debate, but what is your reasoning for taking your safety off prior to seeing a bird?

Gobble!

Quote from: Spurs on January 21, 2019, 04:46:25 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on January 21, 2019, 03:59:20 PM
I do.

Not trying to start a huge debate, but what is your reasoning for taking your safety off prior to seeing a bird?

Don't worry I won't debate it. Most times I setup so that by the time I can see the bird I am shooting. I don't get many opportunities to sit and watch the bird come into range. When I sit down and feel the bird is getting close the safety comes off.

Jrkimbrough

I normally wait til he is almost within range and flip off the safety.  But I'm big stickler on always checking my safety when I get up from a setup.  I also ALWAYS unload my gun every time it goes in my truck.

Kylongspur88

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: dejake on January 21, 2019, 04:13:10 PM
As soon as I know he's on his way, off it comes.

This right here
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE