OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What will you do differently this season?

Started by Mike Honcho, February 05, 2016, 10:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

:OGani:
Quote from: oldturk on February 06, 2016, 06:05:26 PM
not get hung up on one bird,like last year

:agreed: Same here.  (But it would have been great to close the deal on him!)
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

MK M GOBL

#1 is get more/better footage this season. I have been getting into this aspect of the hunts more and more every year, it's a great way to "share" the hunt with family, friends and been doing some "Outdoor Show" work as of late for friends.

MK M GOBL

Spitten and drummen

I am going to focus on killing one with a trumpet. Bought 2 from billy Buice last july. Been practicing with them about 30 min. Almost daily. I think I have gotten really good with them. Not a expert but consistent and good enough to fool a tom.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Clif Owen

Going to use my head a bit more. Hunted some with a buddy and we called too much on a couple of birds..even though I kind of knew better. actually, I can't blame it all on him. I messed up doing that by myself once. Just got excited and couldn't understand why they didn't pop right over that ridge.

Yoder409

Quote from: oldturk on February 06, 2016, 06:05:26 PM
not get hung up on one bird,like last year

I would like to say "EXACTLY THIS !!"

But, truth is........................ there's a bird right here behind the house that made it personal with me last year and ate up most of my hunting days.  He won.

I'd like to say I won't do it again, but............................ he's got one comin'
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

jims

I live on the Front Range in Colo where there is a gob of country with relatively few to 0 birds.  This year I plan on hitting the hills a little earlier than normal to see if I can pin down more areas that "may" hold birds.  I don't want to spook the few birds that exist out of the country but I also want to find new locations.

BIGGUS

Quiet everything down. I think the coyotes in our area have the birds much more quiet once they're on the ground. I think I'll follow suit and be calling less and at lower volume.

OldSchool

The main thing I'm doing differently this year is taking my 6 year old grandson out with me as much as possible. His Mom agreed to let him go with me this year and I can't wait. :happy0064:

He's scouted with me, seen some birds and heard a few distant gobbles, but he has no idea what he's in for. ;D I'm going to throw a couple brush/log blinds together before season to help combat the fidgets and let him do some calling. He's been practicing with a box call and I'm hoping a bird will cooperate. I'd love to have one come in close and strut and gobble for him, bust just having one answer him would be awesome.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Flounder

guesswho

Not make fun of people who miss when they hunt with me.   That probably wont last long. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Va3toes

More pre season scouting and try some different public land.

lonnie sneed jr.

Hunt more by myself, take a nap everyday, and get the wife to mow during gobbler season. 
:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

redmag

I pretty much hunt National Forest land here in WV and VA and last year I killed a couple of birds by purposely trying not to get too close to the birds gobbling after on the ground.  Both came a long ways with soft calling and putting occasionally.  Worked then but who knows this year.

OldSchool

Quote from: lonnie sneed jr. on February 14, 2016, 02:53:10 PM
Hunt more by myself, take a nap everyday, and get the wife to mow during gobbler season. 
:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

You have to be careful. New spring grass is fragile and It's not a good idea to cut it much before June 1st here in NY. After our May turkey season closes is just about right.  ;)

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

tha bugman

I'm going to fish more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk