OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Flashlights walking in?

Started by WillH, March 24, 2014, 01:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870FaceLift

I've never had any game get spooked by green light.  I'm not sure if it is in their spectrum of color recognition.  You do want to be sure to hold the light well in front of you.  This will prevent you from outlining yourself and your motion.
Pass it on...

catdaddy

I would invite all you fellers that don't use a light to try your hand at following me through the Mississippi terrain I have to travel through to get to some of my spots before first light. At best, you will sound like a bull elephant coming through the woods and at worst, you will fall into a stump hole, or down a steep bank or scratch yourself bloody trying to negociate a briar thicket--and then there are the snakes.     

Erno86

I usually don't use a flashlight...but if I have too ---- like crossing a steep rocky ditch --- I'll cover the face of the small flashlight with my fingers, so as their is only a small sliver of light coming out.
You'll need at least 15 minutes of darkness, in order to get your eyes acclimated to the dark. I like to use starlight, moonlight, and city lights reflected off the clouds on cloudy predawn hours. Foxfire... sometimes guides my way in the turkey swamps.

I like to take eye supplements, like: bilberry, lutein and zeaxanthin which helps better my vision acuity.

shootalot523

I think it depends where you are hunting.  I hunt farms that have trucks, tractors and four wheelers, so  I think these birds are used to seeing lights. I use red or green and keep it low.  I've tried no lights and just end up making more noise.  Deer are much quieter then us stumbling in the dark, so I try to get in quiet. 

| Justin |

If I can get away with not using one, I won't... but some of the places I hunt would be a disaster to walk though without a light.  Generally speaking, I'll hike 70% of the way in with my light on, another 10% with it on red mode, and then the last 20% off (about a 3/4 mile hike or so).

In my situation, usually I'm hunting areas where the timber is so thick, that I don't think there's any way I'd get busted from my light anyway, so it's never really been a problem.

BigAL64

I didn't use to use one at all but as I get older my night vision isn't what it use to be. I use a red light when there is no moon at all. If I have a bird roosted I turn it off about 200 yards from the roost and ease the rest of the way in. Green would work also. If you take a min. when you get to the woods to let your eyes adjust you will be surprised how well you can see without a light.
Shoot em in the face

guesswho

I carry two.  One in each hand.  One facing forward and one backward.  They don't know if I'm on my way in or out.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

BigAL64

Quote from: guesswho on April 13, 2014, 07:12:37 PM
I carry two.  One in each hand.  One facing forward and one backward.  They don't know if I'm on my way in or out.

LOL!! :TooFunny:

I am new to this site and I think I have found one of the wise guys!!! :you_rock:
Shoot em in the face

guesswho

Quote from: BigAL64 on April 13, 2014, 08:07:19 PM
Quote from: guesswho on April 13, 2014, 07:12:37 PM

LOL!! :TooFunny:

I am new to this site and I think I have found one of the wise guys!!! :you_rock:
Only when I forget to take my med's or get them mixed up.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

captin_hook

CntrlPA

I hunt many different spots and none of them are fields. I'd never make it anywhere without a light.

perrytrails

I use a red one, have for years, keep it pointed at the ground. Can't say it's ever caused birds to spook or fly.

TnRidgeRunner

Maybe I'm weird, but I've never had a reason to use a light...I don't set up before daylight. 90% of the time the birds I'm hunting don't get fired up (even on the roost) until about 30 min after good daylight. I can set up within 120yrds of birds without spooking em cause of the terrain here in TN. Just never was an issue for me.

land cruiser

Red if I have to, but generally no light. 

Fishbamboo

Where I hunt I walk in about 3/4 to a mile, I use a light. I am 66 and don't want to fall over something. Got my first turkey last year on 4/9/13, got my second on 4/1/14. 8 more days to kill four more birds......fat chance.