turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How bad do I sound?

Started by Sir-diealot, February 07, 2023, 12:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gobbler-one

I'm not a competition caller, I call turkeys. My opinion, you sound pretty good and could definitely call up birds with that. Good luck with the practice.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Gobbler-one on February 07, 2023, 12:48:47 AM
I'm not a competition caller, I call turkeys. My opinion, you sound pretty good and could definitely call up birds with that. Good luck with the practice.
Thanks, I sure hope so.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

ol bob

In the spring a cluck and yelp, are all you need, don't over call.

guesswho

#2 doesn't sound like a trumpet.   Do you have the right soundfile attached?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

davisd9

That second sound file sounds like a box or scratch box, if it is a trumpet than the calls you are using sound completely different.

I am going to be honest with you as I always want people to be honest with me. This is meant to help and not be critical. You really do not have good air control. I am guessing you are keeing and trying to transition to a yelp but you do not have the control for it. If we were hunting together I would want to do the calling. You can tell that you may be getting there but air control is not quite there. You need to be able to start and stop the air to make the roll over and get sharpness in clucks. I am not a competitive caller nor have no desire to be but I do listen to real turkeys a lot and I would pick you out as a hunter trying to run a trumpet with no issue if we were in the same property. If this offends you I apologize but I am trying to help as most are just too nice to really get a person's calling improved and if you are like me then that is what you want, improvement.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Sir-diealot

Quote from: guesswho on February 07, 2023, 12:10:17 PM
#2 doesn't sound like a trumpet.   Do you have the right soundfile attached?
You're right, I uploaded wrong track, will add proper one soon.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: davisd9 on February 07, 2023, 12:14:44 PM
That second sound file sounds like a box or scratch box, if it is a trumpet than the calls you are using sound completely different.

I am going to be honest with you as I always want people to be honest with me. This is meant to help and not be critical. You really do not have good air control. I am guessing you are keeing and trying to transition to a yelp but you do not have the control for it. If we were hunting together I would want to do the calling. You can tell that you may be getting there but air control is not quite there. You need to be able to start and stop the air to make the roll over and get sharpness in clucks. I am not a competitive caller nor have no desire to be but I do listen to real turkeys a lot and I would pick you out as a hunter trying to run a trumpet with no issue if we were in the same property. If this offends you I apologize but I am trying to help as most are just too nice to really get a person's calling improved and if you are like me then that is what you want, improvement.
Never offended by polite criticism, it is how we learn. I was trying for a kee kee run, yelping I tried separate as well as clucks. This was the second trumpet, I had put in the wrong track. By the way, I have hard a very hard time with the draw, the way I undersand it you go from the draw, then drop your jaw from there to get the second note, I have a real problem with that as my jaw is already pretty much all the way down because of my under bite and simply put I have big lips. I do feel I have gotten better but after 3 years I think I should be much better than I am. I have followed all the videos, tried the twizzle stick way of practicing and am honestly frustrated with myself. https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/2023_02_07_00_36_44-mp3-1?si=ad9d72e9b3d24d1ab6c359de533a4cbc&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

John Koenig:

silvestris

There are questions that one should never ask, lest that others may answer.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Zobo

Your clucks sound a bit hollow, need to sharpen and shorten those which is easier said than done and requires subtle restraint. Control was mentioned and that is what your working on. But your kee kees  would definitely call in birds in the fall, absolutely no doubt. What are you calling with?
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

davisd9

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 07, 2023, 02:02:53 PM

Never offended by polite criticism, it is how we learn. I was trying for a kee kee run, yelping I tried separate as well as clucks. This was the second trumpet, I had put in the wrong track. By the way, I have hard a very hard time with the draw, the way I undersand it you go from the draw, then drop your jaw from there to get the second note, I have a real problem with that as my jaw is already pretty much all the way down because of my under bite and simply put I have big lips. I do feel I have gotten better but after 3 years I think I should be much better than I am. I have followed all the videos, tried the twizzle stick way of practicing and am honestly frustrated with myself. https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/2023_02_07_00_36_44-mp3-1?si=ad9d72e9b3d24d1ab6c359de533a4cbc&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Stopping/starting air is what makes yelps. No need for jaw dropping. Air control. Trumpets are a musical instrument. Treat them like one
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

crow

Quote from: paboxcall on February 07, 2023, 04:17:43 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on February 07, 2023, 04:02:07 PM
No need for jaw dropping. Air control.

:agreed:

There is a Ted Pete Peters youtube where he talks about this method, he alternates between sipping water thru a straw and drawing air thru the trumpet, Try His method
I think on the Lewis Stowe youtube He also demonstrates the jaw drop vs straw method of air draw.

I think davisd9 did a great job on a polite critique.
I'm with ol Bob, for right now, especially on sound files drop the Kees and focus on good sharp clucks and your yelps.

In practice for an air control drill (like running scales for any musical instrument) hold the low note as long as you can, the do the same for the high note, do this a couple times and then run a string of yelps and see how they sound.

In a phone call Billy Buice said 10-15 min a day is way more productive than a half hour  twice a week.
if you put in some serious daily practice you should get this by spring.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: silvestris on February 07, 2023, 02:47:35 PM
There are questions that one should never ask, lest that others may answer.
If you never ask a question of those that know more how are you to ever learn correctly?  ;D

Quote from: Clayback on February 07, 2023, 03:12:44 PM
Forget stringing all that stuff together. Your cluck and yelp alone, are good enough to fool Turkeys. Stick with single clucks and 3 or 4 note yelps till you get more cofidence. Yes, you sound like someone " kissing and sucking" on a trumpet, but so does most everyone else who will comment on this thread. You will be amazed how much better that will sound at a distance, in the woods. Hunt um up.
Thank you for the kind words. 2 or 3 years ago about a month before the season just after a snow storm I called in 3 or 4 toms using the first trumpet,  I just really feel I should be showing more improvement. I truly wish I could just sit along with somebody that knows what they are doing and get some instruction one on one I feel it would help.

Quote from: Zobo on February 07, 2023, 03:51:01 PM
Your clucks sound a bit hollow, need to sharpen and shorten those which is easier said than done and requires subtle restraint. Control was mentioned and that is what your working on. But your kee kees  would definitely call in birds in the fall, absolutely no doubt. What are you calling with?
The first the maker has asked me not to mention his name (Who can blame him with how I sound?) the Second is a Pete Peters "Boss" call made from Brazilian Kingwood.

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 07, 2023, 02:02:53 PM

Stopping/starting air is what makes yelps. No need for jaw dropping. Air control. Trumpets are a musical instrument. Treat them like one
Only musical instrument I have ever owned was a B.C. Rick Warlock Bass Guitar I don't think plucking this will work. :P  I will try without trying to move the jaw, thanks.

Thanks.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: crow on February 07, 2023, 04:50:56 PM

There is a Ted Pete Peters youtube where he talks about this method, he alternates between sipping water thru a straw and drawing air thru the trumpet, Try His method
I think on the Lewis Stowe youtube He also demonstrates the jaw drop vs straw method of air draw.

I think davisd9 did a great job on a polite critique.
I'm with ol Bob, for right now, especially on sound files drop the Kees and focus on good sharp clucks and your yelps.

In practice for an air control drill (like running scales for any musical instrument) hold the low note as long as you can, the do the same for the high note, do this a couple times and then run a string of yelps and see how they sound.

In a phone call Billy Buice said 10-15 min a day is way more productive than a half hour  twice a week.
if you put in some serious daily practice you should get this by spring.
I bought these online right after he posted that video, has helped for sure.  Yes David was very polite. I will drop them. One problem having even with all the videos is understanding how to get to each note for some reason it's not clicking in my tiny little excuse for a brain. I can get that high for the kee kee but I'm not sure if that's what I'm supposed to do to get to the other for the Yelp, It wouldn't think so. Same thought process for shooting archery, better shoot 15 minutes of good shots than an hour and a half of not so good shots. Thank you much for the reply, I can use all the help I can get.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

John Koenig: