OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How bad do I sound?

Started by Sir-diealot, February 07, 2023, 12:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

Quote from: ol bob on February 07, 2023, 12:10:14 PM
In the spring a cluck and yelp, are all you need, don't over call.

Best advice right here, less is more. Just work on a simple cluck and a three note yelp. I was just listening to a hen in my backyard, three note yelping. She sounded horrible.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Zobo on February 07, 2023, 09:28:34 PM
Quote from: ol bob on February 07, 2023, 12:10:14 PM
In the spring a cluck and yelp, are all you need, don't over call.
Will see what I can do for sure. Thanks

Best advice right here, less is more. Just work on a simple cluck and a three note yelp. I was just listening to a hen in my backyard, three note yelping. She sounded horrible.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

tnanh

I think your yelps and clucks sound just fine. Not much on kee keeing myself but my calling sucks in general but it does call in a turkey on occasion even with my trumpets and cane yelpers.

Tom007

I've heard hens out there that sounded a lot worse Steve, keep at it, you're getting there!
"Solo hunter"

EZ

Quote from: Tom007 on February 08, 2023, 07:35:18 AM
I've heard hens out there that sounded a lot worse Steve, keep at it, you're getting there!

Those are the hens with no boyfriends, lol. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Brillo

Sir,  Thank you for being one brave dude and posting this.  I have learned a lot from your posts in general and now I have found your tracks and the responses extremely helpful.  We are about on the same plane with trumpet skill so I can apply all of this.   One thing that I noted as I listened was that real turkeys do not string all that together.   I know that it is practice and I am not an experienced hunter but of the turkeys I have observed, I just don't see it.  Some on utube.   I practice just like your track.  One ongoing stream of (hopefully) turkey talk.  I am thinking that I should start practicing with the cadence and quiet gaps that I would use in the woods.  Considering other tracks that guys have posted, the ones made outside and with cadence are the best for evaluation.  As you stated in your first post the inside sounds don't translate well.  I bet if you laid down a track outside with cadence and dropped the kee kees for now it would be real good.  Best wishes bro.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Brillo on February 08, 2023, 08:40:00 AM
Sir,  Thank you for being one brave dude and posting this.  I have learned a lot from your posts in general and now I have found your tracks and the responses extremely helpful.  We are about on the same plane with trumpet skill so I can apply all of this.   One thing that I noted as I listened was that real turkeys do not string all that together.   I know that it is practice and I am not an experienced hunter but of the turkeys I have observed, I just don't see it.  Some on utube.   I practice just like your track.  One ongoing stream of (hopefully) turkey talk.  I am thinking that I should start practicing with the cadence and quiet gaps that I would use in the woods.  Considering other tracks that guys have posted, the ones made outside and with cadence are the best for evaluation.  As you stated in your first post the inside sounds don't translate well.  I bet if you laid down a track outside with cadence and dropped the kee kees for now it would be real good.  Best wishes bro.
Good Post / having a good rhythm while calling ...

Meleagris gallopavo

I just cluck and yelp a little.  Never tried a kee kee because I don't hunt in the fall and I figured it was a better use of time learning to cluck and yelp.  Clucking is the easiest for me to do.  I can yelp but it's hard to get the cadence and sound right at the same time with a trumpet.  The shorter cadence works better than my usual string of 7 yelps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

davisd9

Keeing is a good exercise for air control. Never bad to have a back pocket trick either.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

gmbellew

you have the basics of how to make a turkey-like sound. now you just need practice. I'll echo - get cluck and then yelp down first. then worry about fancier stuff like kee, gobble, whine, purr, Jake yelp, raspier yelps, soft tree yelps , etc.

find REAL hen talk on YouTube and practice to that. outside sounds more realistic than inside, but inside is close enough to see how you are doing. record yourself outside from 10yds or so away and you will have a better idea of how it actually sounds.

Sir-diealot

First off sorry for the delay in replying, my pain levels have been through the roof and my hands hurt to much to type, I answers some other short things on other stuff with voice type but that never gets things quite right. I did go outside and make this, not sure it is good though, I wanted to go sit down so bad because I hurt I think it is rushed but it is outside. I do understand what you are saying about cadence for sure. Anyway here is that track. https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/outside?si=7a4922c012ff4c999d8b6cf02db38b82&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 08, 2023, 03:52:07 PM
I just cluck and yelp a little.  Never tried a kee kee because I don't hunt in the fall and I figured it was a better use of time learning to cluck and yelp.  Clucking is the easiest for me to do.  I can yelp but it's hard to get the cadence and sound right at the same time with a trumpet.  The shorter cadence works better than my usual string of 7 yelps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are times I think I sound pretty decent, this was not one of those nights. I Fall hunt so a Kee Kee Run is something I have been working on for about a year and a half. I have to get my Lovett Williams and Spittin' Turkey CD's out, and listen to them in the house, normally would be listening to them already but the CD player in the truck broke and so did the CD Rom drive on the computer. My GF and the dog will just have to tolerate them in the house without headphones this year, they truly do help me.

Quote from: davisd9 on February 08, 2023, 04:10:11 PM
Keeing is a good exercise for air control. Never bad to have a back pocket trick either.
Thanks, I have heard of using them in the Spring but also hunt them in the Fall so it has been something I have been trying to get better at.

Quote from: gmbellew on February 08, 2023, 04:26:28 PM
you have the basics of how to make a turkey-like sound. now you just need practice. I'll echo - get cluck and then yelp down first. then worry about fancier stuff like kee, gobble, whine, purr, Jake yelp, raspier yelps, soft tree yelps , etc.

find REAL hen talk on YouTube and practice to that. outside sounds more realistic than inside, but inside is close enough to see how you are doing. record yourself outside from 10yds or so away and you will have a better idea of how it actually sounds.

Thank you much. I posted an outside above but like I said I was rushing it because I was in a lot of pain so I know I can do better.
gobble, whine, purr, Jake yelp, raspier yelps, soft tree yelps are not even really a thought at this time, I need more work on the basics. I just threw in the attempt at a flydown (or was it a gobble, I don't recall) on the one just for fun, had never tried it before.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Paulmyr

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 10, 2023, 09:27:29 AM
First off sorry for the delay in replying, my pain levels have been through the roof and my hands hurt to much to type, I answers some other short things on other stuff with voice type but that never gets things quite right. I did go outside and make this, not sure it is good though, I wanted to go sit down so bad because I hurt I think it is rushed but it is outside. I do understand what you are saying about cadence for sure. Anyway here is that track. https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/outside?si=7a4922c012ff4c999d8b6cf02db38b82&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

From what I'm hearing everything is there you just need to prolong that roll over a touch more. Seems to me your just starting to get the call to roll over and stopping. Try and extend the end/roll over of your yelp a touch. It's there just needs a little more finesse if you get what I'm saying..
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 10, 2023, 09:40:01 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 10, 2023, 09:27:29 AM

From what I'm hearing everything is there you just need to prolong that roll over a touch more. Seems to me your just starting to get the call to roll over and stopping. Try and extend the end/roll over of your yelp a touch. It's there just needs a little more finesse if you get what I'm saying..
Thanks, I will pay more attention to that for sure.

John Koenig: