turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1/4 Strut Decoy vs. Full Strut Decoy

Started by ChasinTails27, May 14, 2014, 09:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChasinTails27

This was my first year of really getting into turkey hunting.  I am hooked!  My cousin and I were lucky enough to both bag nice birds.

My question is about decoys.  I am looking at getting a couple nice decoys for next year and need some help.  Would y'all recommend a Full Strut decoy or a 1/4 strut jake?  I am a little worried the full strut deke might scare away younger/less dominate birds and on the other hand I am worried the 1/4 strut might not bring in the big boys. 

I know DSD decoys are supposed to be the best, but are a little out of my price range.  So I am looking at the Avian-X or the Hunters Specialties, and possibly even the Knight and Hale Pretty Boy/Pretty Girl combo.

What has been y'all's experience?

yelpertom

I bought the dsd strutter and your correct it was very pricy but I will have it for ever, the pretty boy is the best choice for the money they will do u a good job!!!!! As for the birds being scared , birds r like people u gotta catch them in the mood!!!!! If u get a 2 year old fired up and he is coming in and sees a strutting tom with his girl he is gonna be pissed but if u Cath a tom feeding in a field he might shy away from it

ChasinTails27

That is very true.  They can be pretty finicky at times.  the decoys I currently have are not very nice at all, and a few different times i had birds come in and then immediately leave once they saw my decoys up close.  I am just trying to get the best bang for my buck with out spending a small fortune.

But the biggest question I have about decoys is whether to use a Full Strut or a 1/4 strut....

:fud:

DirtNap647

stinkpickle

I've had the same amount of luck with a jake decoy as I did with a strutter.  The jake is a lot easier to carry, too.

ChasinTails27

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 15, 2014, 11:03:25 AM
I've had the same amount of luck with a jake decoy as I did with a strutter.  The jake is a lot easier to carry, too.

I'm sure part of it depends on the birds and how the Tom's will react.  That is a good point about the jake being easier to carry.  Won't take up as much room.  Have y'all had big toms come in and try to attack a 1/4 strut jake decoy? 

yelpertom

I think there is something about a strutter with a real tail fan!!! Like the pretty boy or dsd strutter you can put a real tail fan that can be seen from far away!!!! And lets face it if a dominant bird sees that he gonna come in and show dominance!!! I seen two toms fall to my strutter this year and shot both with my bow one at 5 yard and the second at 7 yards

stinkpickle

Quote from: ChasinTails27 on May 15, 2014, 07:37:52 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on May 15, 2014, 11:03:25 AM

I'm sure part of it depends on the birds and how the Tom's will react.  That is a good point about the jake being easier to carry.  Won't take up as much room.  Have y'all had big toms come in and try to attack a 1/4 strut jake decoy?

Oh, yes.  Both toms and jakes will attack them...when they're in the mood, of course.  :)

TauntoHawk

I really like the avain jake and hens... I do not hunt often over decoys but they do their job when I put them out
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

silvestris

Do you really believe that a gobbler knows the difference between a jake quarter strut and a full strut decoy?  All they see is a turkey and if there is red on the wattles, a gobbler.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

jepcho

I have the avian x Jake decoy and I love it. I killed two birds over it this year, and got video of 3 jakes beating it down. This was my first year with the decoy. I bought it after a lot of thinking and almost went with the dsd. I'm glad I chose the avian x. Easier to carry, just as realistic, and cheaper. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Bigspurs68

I don't often use decoys myself but with my girls I will use them if the situation allows it. Several times I have had a full strut dec and a 1/4 strut jake dec over a hen out in the same opening. Almost every bird has ended up going to the jake positioned over a hen.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Marc

Quote from: silvestris on June 04, 2014, 08:14:10 PM
Do you really believe that a gobbler knows the difference between a jake quarter strut and a full strut decoy?  All they see is a turkey and if there is red on the wattles, a gobbler.

I believe that that fanned tail while strutting creates a response from hens, toms and jakes...

That fanned tail will attract hens, and possibly cause a tom to fight to defend his territory....  I also think it could dissuade a less dominant bird from coming in...

So while I do not believe that a turkey cognitively can tell the difference, I do believe that a fanned tail does create an instinctive response...  The question which remains, does that fanned out tail cause more birds to come into gun range than that half-strutter...  I have no idea.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ChasinTails27

I think this is a question that could go both ways.  I just wanted to get some opinions from other hunters. 

Gobble!

If a turkey is decoy shy it will be decoy shy of a strutter or 1/4 strut. Saw this last year.
I have had jakes try to show my full strut DSD whos boss and long beards try to show my 1/4 strut DSD whos boss. IMO they both work equally.
I just like seeing them come into the full strut more.
If I'm field hunting its the full strut if I'm in the woods its the 1/4 strut.