turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1/4 Strut Decoy vs. Full Strut Decoy

Started by ChasinTails27, May 14, 2014, 09:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims

I've used both jake and strutters.  The only strutter I've used is ones I attach a real tail and real wings.  There's nothing like using the real thing!  The wind blowing through feathers looks a lot different than if blowing against plastic/rubber!  I can practically see tom's eye's pop when they see the real strutter tail fanned out!  I have often had success using just a strutter....sometimes just hens, and sometimes a little of everything.  I also use an open blind and can all of a sudden pull out a strutter to get a tom's attention.  When he was watching a couple hens and all of a sudden a fanning tom shows up....you can imagine how that irritates the tom!

ChasinTails27

Quote from: Gobble! on December 30, 2014, 10:41:31 AM
If a turkey is decoy shy it will be decoy shy of a strutter or 1/4 strut. Saw this last year.
I have had jakes try to show my full strut DSD whos boss and long beards try to show my 1/4 strut DSD whos boss. IMO they both work equally.
I just like seeing them come into the full strut more.
If I'm field hunting its the full strut if I'm in the woods its the 1/4 strut.

I was hunting last year with a jake decoy and and hen decoy, had 3 toms and 5 hens fly down get within 20 yards of my decoys and take off running the other direction.  We waited for a little while but the hunt was over...they weren't coming back.  Went back to the same place 4 days later with no decoys and bagged one of the toms.  They must have not liked decoys period.  I think it just depends on the birds.

MOStrutter

I have used both and had success with both.  However, I rarely pull out the full strut decoy anymore.  I much prefer the response I get for the jake decoy and it is much easier to carry and set up.  I only dust off the full strut decoy if I know I have to get super aggressive or a particular bird has seem my normal set up and didn't care for it.  I do a lot of scouting and I usually have a pretty good idea what the birds are going to like going into the hunt.

tha bugman

I would just get a normal posture jake and not break the bank.  You can get one of the foam ones at wal-mart for $9.97  if he gets in close enough to see that it doesn't have glass eyes he better be flopping on the ground!   :turkey2: