turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

? For you deep south guys.

Started by birdyhunter, March 21, 2013, 12:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdyhunter

So I have been playing this game of cat and mouse with what I believe is the same bird almost every morning. He roosts in an open river bottom with nothing but palmettos as under growth and so its difficult to move on him without busting him. I slip in to 75 yards of his roost and every time he basically just drops out of the tree and struts and gobbles till all the hens come. I have yet to get him to take even a step in my direction. Any out of the box tricks to help me kill this guy would be great. It's starting to become a small obsession lol.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

guesswho

If hen talk ain't cutting it, try to arouse his territorial instincts by being an intruder.  Sometimes they can't take that. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Uncle Tom

Few years played that game with a bird 3 mornings in a row. He would fly down and would walk away gobbling...would never come to a call. Each morning I could get a little closer, but would always fly down and walk away. On 4th morning, I got there real early, I mean at least an hour before first light. Had marked my way in and had it figured to be almost under his roost...not over 20-30 yards from his roost. I had him pegged as to a pine he was in. Real tall tree an heavy limbs..no way he could see the ground. You can make this work if you are sure of the cover overhead you have and move in like a deer moving through, and be there early..no light and know exactly where you want to sit. Well, I was there when he made his first gobble on the limb and shortly after I made a soft cluck..he would come back with a gobble. This went on for several minutes and I felt like he would fly down on an opposite hillside and again walk away. What I did next was what I have seen work if you have a partner..but this morning I was by myself and had no choice but to do what I felt would work...and it did to perfection. I stood up and stood my gun by the tree where I could see it from a distance. I kicked the leaves, walked a few steps away made some fast steps...then took my box call and hid it up under my coat..to muffle the sound...a good hard cut and yelp. Immediately, had to run back to my gun maby 10-15 yards away.. got back, down on seat, grabbed my gun, face mask pull down... and here he came..falling down through the limbs and landed about 20 yards in front of me. Had the bead on him as he was coming down..pulled trigger soon as he touched ground. Big bird and over in just a few minutes. What happens, I always think is he hears this noise an walking, running,etc. and knows there is a bird down there... and has to check it out. Sometimes you have to try these off the wall tricks...sometimes they work. Might give it a try if you continue to do battle with one that you know where he is at each morning. Let us know what happens.

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

BrowningGuy88

Get withing shooting distance of his roost and as soon as his toes touch the ground shoot him in the face!

They are doing the same thing to me in South AL right now and in the morning I will be where he hits the ground if all goes as planned. When 4 gobblers have 17 hens roosted with them, you don't have a chance!

jakebird

Quote from: Uncle Tom on March 21, 2013, 03:40:43 PM
Few years played that game with a bird 3 mornings in a row. He would fly down and would walk away gobbling...would never come to a call. Each morning I could get a little closer, but would always fly down and walk away. On 4th morning, I got there real early, I mean at least an hour before first light. Had marked my way in and had it figured to be almost under his roost...not over 20-30 yards from his roost. I had him pegged as to a pine he was in. Real tall tree an heavy limbs..no way he could see the ground. You can make this work if you are sure of the cover overhead you have and move in like a deer moving through, and be there early..no light and know exactly where you want to sit. Well, I was there when he made his first gobble on the limb and shortly after I made a soft cluck..he would come back with a gobble. This went on for several minutes and I felt like he would fly down on an opposite hillside and again walk away. What I did next was what I have seen work if you have a partner..but this morning I was by myself and had no choice but to do what I felt would work...and it did to perfection. I stood up and stood my gun by the tree where I could see it from a distance. I kicked the leaves, walked a few steps away made some fast steps...then took my box call and hid it up under my coat..to muffle the sound...a good hard cut and yelp. Immediately, had to run back to my gun maby 10-15 yards away.. got back, down on seat, grabbed my gun, face mask pull down... and here he came..falling down through the limbs and landed about 20 yards in front of me. Had the bead on him as he was coming down..pulled trigger soon as he touched ground. Big bird and over in just a few minutes. What happens, I always think is he hears this noise an walking, running,etc. and knows there is a bird down there... and has to check it out. Sometimes you have to try these off the wall tricks...sometimes they work. Might give it a try if you continue to do battle with one that you know where he is at each morning.
Wow. How on earth did you get away with standing up and walking and running around like that within thirty yards of his tree?
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

Uncle Tom

Jakebird, seen this work more than once ----risky, yes, but will work if you are almost sure of exactly where he is at. I observed droppings under this particular tree if I remember correctly, and previous mornings he was by himself. A little luck helps out too. Also, as I said a buddy helps out if trying to pull this off but if you have the confidence of it working and you have observed him flying down 3 morning in a row and always going away---well, you have nothing to lose and a bird to gain. Would not dare try this if you think their is hens with him--know it would not have much of a chance. You know, most accomplishments in life can be traced back to "can I do this..will it work" and in this game of turkey hunting you play your hunches out on most every situation if you think about it. Some times you win..some lose. But, we keep on trying and these experiences keep drawing us back year after year. Nothing like it in hunting. You know, have almost quit using decoys .. was told by one much smarter in chasing these fellows than me...that is cheating. Well, he to his on, but I do get that "is cheating" feeling if I take one with a decoy once in a while, but I am a little ashamed to tell him if I do lol.  Anyway, our season begins in 3 weeks up here in N.C. and boy is it cold. Don"t remember a spring like this in a while...where you at?     

B-Rad1

Keep at him!!  One morning you'll show up and it will be a different ball game. If he doesn't want to come to a call figure out where he wants to be and beat him there.

jakebird

Quote from: Uncle Tom on March 23, 2013, 05:30:41 AM
Jakebird, seen this work more than once ----risky, yes, but will work if you are almost sure of exactly where he is at. I observed droppings under this particular tree if I remember correctly, and previous mornings he was by himself. A little luck helps out too. Also, as I said a buddy helps out if trying to pull this off but if you have the confidence of it working and you have observed him flying down 3 morning in a row and always going away---well, you have nothing to lose and a bird to gain. Would not dare try this if you think their is hens with him--know it would not have much of a chance. You know, most accomplishments in life can be traced back to "can I do this..will it work" and in this game of turkey hunting you play your hunches out on most every situation if you think about it. Some times you win..some lose. But, we keep on trying and these experiences keep drawing us back year after year. Nothing like it in hunting. You know, have almost quit using decoys .. was told by one much smarter in chasing these fellows than me...that is cheating. Well, he to his on, but I do get that "is cheating" feeling if I take one with a decoy once in a while, but I am a little ashamed to tell him if I do lol.  Anyway, our season begins in 3 weeks up here in N.C. and boy is it cold. Don"t remember a spring like this in a while...where you at?   
Im up here in PA Uncle Tom. We dont get rolling here till the end of April. I'm liking the cold weather because last yr the warm early spring had it pretty much over before it started for us . This yr should be better if it ever decides to get here now, lol!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

Uncle Tom

Same here Jakebird, our spring last year was the same...warm before the season opened and seemed like the birds did not want to play till well into the season, so this should be better for all...us especially. Bet you all have some nice birds up there and plenty of hunters too I understand. Beautiful country up that way also. Good hunting to you.