OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

rainy day turkeys

Started by Oconeeguy, March 21, 2013, 07:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oconeeguy

Looks like it going to be raining the first two days of turkey season here in Ga. I know generally where some hardwood bottoms are where some turkeys are roosted. Both areas are deep in the woods and not fields near by.

I understand that for some reason, turkeys like to pitch into a field when it is raining. What are some tips for hunting woods turkeys when it is chilly and raining?

redleg06

I actually prefer it a little damp when hunting them in the woods....leaves dont crunch as loud when you walk and if you find a muddy spot in a road and find tracks, you know they're pretty fresh.

They generally dont sound off as much when it's cold and rainy so you might have to use your eyes to find them instead of your ears.  Be slow and deliberate trying to find them and when you do, dont expect them to blow your doors off gobbling.

TurkeyTom

OK Oconeeguy......you have said you know where the birds roost.....  I'd get close and set up and see what happens.

One good thing about a little rain.... it keeps a lot of guys and gals from going out. It gives you a better chance to be the first guy at them birds. And besides.......  :popcorn: when have you actually known the weatherman to be right most of the time????

Good luck and go slay them!  :fud: :newmascot:

TauntoHawk

when its wet I like to slide right in pretty much under them on the roost.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

guesswho

Rain usually equals dead turkey for me.  Like redleg06 said, you may have to rely more on your eye's than your ears.  But once you get a visual it's easier to position yourself where you need to be.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tomstopper

Quote from: guesswho on March 21, 2013, 02:07:19 PM
Rain usually equals dead turkey for me.  Like redleg06 said, you may have to rely more on your eye's than your ears.  But once you get a visual it's easier to position yourself where you need to be.
:agreed: I have killed some of my best gobblers in the rain. Good luck

BHC

Well it this weekend is youth season in Tn. We too seem to be looking at potential rain for sat. It does appear to be suppose to slack of around 3-4 am. Here is my rainy day game plan. Fri afternoon I'm checking him out of school early and were goin to go out and ride around till we find turkeys in a field, should be able to w 35 fields.. We are then hoping to watch them leave right before dark to roost. I am then goin to slip in and pop up a ground blind under the cover of dark. The next morn we will ease in set up the decoys and wait on it to start getting light. Hopefully they'll come straight to the field to dry off. I'll call depending on how much they talk. If I were in the woods I'd just try to get right under their roost well before daylight...

Oconeeguy

Thanks guys. Sound advice. I will try to ease in well before first light, and just sit still. Maybe a VERY few soft tree calls around daybreak, then sit some more.

DirtNap647

always usually have a good hunt in the rain

mbecnel

Quote from: Oconeeguy on March 21, 2013, 07:53:56 AM
Looks like it going to be raining the first two days of turkey season here in Ga. I know generally where some hardwood bottoms are where some turkeys are roosted. Both areas are deep in the woods and not fields near by.

I understand that for some reason, turkeys like to pitch into a field when it is raining. What are some tips for hunting woods turkeys when it is chilly and raining?

Same here in Louisiana

ElkTurkMan

Don't over look hunting the old logging roads especially in areas with no fields.  I am in GA as well, and I ahve nothing but timber  my lease, with no fields. IF I don't hear anything I'll set up along an old logging road intersection where I can see both down both roads agood ways, and see if i can catch one easing through, or at least see one and  see wear h eheaded then try and get in front of him.