Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Permethrin spray for clothes-field report

Started by g8rvet, April 05, 2023, 09:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

So I had always heard it worked well, but I am a born skeptic and like to prove things to myself (snow geese ARE good eating, gar backstrap IS good but not worth the effort, coot gizzards ARE tasty-but the only part I like and I ain't gonna kill a bird just for the gizzard, etc).

So I started treating last year before the season after the worst tick year I ever had - ticks every trip in 21.  Lots of them.  After two years of treated clothes (all with 3-4 washes maximum) I have not had a single tick on me this season while my son, son-in-law, brother and hunting buddy have picked them all year.  If you are wondering, please try it.  Cheap, easy and no more itchy tick bites - let alone serious tick borne illness. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

mountainhunter1

The stuff just flat out works. I too have yet to get a tick off of me in the 3-4 years that I have been using it. For anyone who might be wanting to try it, put it on generously. Don't try to skimp on it. I soak my stuff and can sit anywhere in the woods and never find a tick on me and the guys with me who don't use it find plenty of them on themselves.

Lymes disease is no joke. I have a friend on permanent disability from it and it was sad to see such a vibrant person suddenly become one who struggles to just to get out of the bed each day.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

bbcoach

Permethrin definitely works PERIOD.  If you have ever been setting in the woods and seen them crawling on you with permethrin on your clothes, they move pretty fast at first then they start staggering and fall right off.  As others have said, USE IT and prevent the neurological effects of Lyme and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Number17

The ol' Permethrin shuffle I like to call it. They get crazy legs, flip on their back and fall off.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

bwhana

Going on 30+ years using it and it has never let me down!  An undervalued use is for all upper body garments where it will repel normal mosquitoes, but probably not fully in a swampy situation.

Buy the water based concentrate (not the petroleum based due to the nasty smell) and dip, not spray your clothes,and hang to dry out of the sun.   Sunlight and dryer heat will shorten the lifespan for effectiveness.

olemossyhorns

It has served me well. I may pull one off a season now where it use to be 10+ each outing.

g8rvet

And for those wondering, DEET makes my heart race. I can use the Family style for kids, but the Deep Woods Off type stuff is no bueno.  Permethrin on the clothes have no side effects. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Paulmyr

Pulled one outta my chin in my beard yesterday. Treated everything but my face net. Must have got on the net when I placed it on the ground for a min or 2. Spray everything!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Tom007

X10, and boy do we have ticks in the Northeast. Lack of snow, they are out in force early this year. Spray, spay, spray!
"Solo hunter"

Flatsnbay

I've been spraying my clothes for years. Just make sure to spray high enough on your pants to take care of walking in higher brush and for sitting. Great stuff!!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Flatsnbay

I've been spraying my clothes for years. Just make sure to spray high enough on your pants to take care of walking in higher brush and for sitting. Great stuff!!

bbcoach

I've been spraying my clothes for years. Just make sure to spray high enough on your pants to take care of walking in higher brush and for sitting. Great stuff                                                                   

NOPE!  Spray everything.  Hats, facemasks, gloves, shirts, vests EVERYTHING!  Don't take chances.  Make sure you reapply about every week or two, to stay protected.  Ticks aren't just on the ground and brush.  They are in the trees, so if you brush up against a low hanging branch, they will be on your hat and shoulders as well.  Stay safe and Good Hunting!

wyetterp

I was in a national forest for the past week & they have been doing controlled burns all over. Had everything sprayed down heavy with permethrin. Still managed to somehow have a tick embedded into the outer part of my eyelid. Doc said he was all the way embedded to his back legs. Doc got it all out & gave me a zpack & some kind of ointment to rub in it 3 times a day. Eyelid is swollen pretty good.

I thought I just got bit by a sketter or horsefly. Throughout the trip I had several of those hitting me around the eyes when I was trying to sit like a statue behind the gun. Heck they were even sitting on my thermacell.

From now on I'm also adding in some Picaridin cream to rub on my face, ears, neck.....in my hair....anywhere that can be exposed. Gunna order a small bottle, & a big bottle to refill. It will be in my vest at all times.

I never even thought about how to protect my eyelids & around those parts before. From now on I will.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Paulmyr

I cut my hair because wood ticks were getting in it from the trees set against last season.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Flatsnbay

Quote from: bbcoach on April 07, 2023, 08:55:39 PM
I've been spraying my clothes for years. Just make sure to spray high enough on your pants to take care of walking in higher brush and for sitting. Great stuff                                                                   

NOPE!  Spray everything.  Hats, facemasks, gloves, shirts, vests EVERYTHING!  Don't take chances.  Make sure you reapply about every week or two, to stay protected.  Ticks aren't just on the ground and brush.  They are in the trees, so if you brush up against a low hanging branch, they will be on your hat and shoulders as well.  Stay safe and Good Hunting!
Great advice, more is better. I've got a buddy with Lyme's disease and it's horrible.