Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Permethrin spray for clothes-field report

Started by g8rvet, April 05, 2023, 09:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

I agree about spraying your clothes, i was mowing the yard yesterday and had a tick crawling on my arm... i usually don't get them while mowing etc....

WildTigerTrout

Using "Sawyers" brand for quite a while.  It works wonders!  I never get a tick on me anymore hunting in the spring.  I saw a tick once crawling across my hunting pants.  He made it about an inch and then fell over dead! Good stuff!  I don't hit the woods without it.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Lcmacd 58

GregGwaltney

I got Alpha-Gal approximately 20 years ago, had serious reactions to Mammal meat until I figured out was was happening and stopped eating it. I definitely use Permethrin liberally these days on my clothes for turkey hunting(Have used Sawyers as well) as I do not want to get bit again by any tick. I have not found a tick on me since I started with Permethrin many years ago.....Interestingly enough, I just started eating mammal meat again this year without any reactions, time has healed me....boy am I loving steak again.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

Zobo

Warning: do not pull a lame brain move and do what I recently did. I accidentally bought and sprayed all my gear with Picaridin not Permethrin.  Picaridin is a deet type spray that they claim is safe for application to your bare skin. I think it's a newer product and I grabbed a can of it quickly thinking it was Permethrin which I have used for years. So when I realized my mistake I had to go back to the store and buy the right stuff and respray everything.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

krm944

So far this year the permethrin soaked clothes are keeping ticks at bay but not the mosquitoes! In years past I haven't noticed mosquitoes that much as I felt the clothing kept them at bay.

Lcmacd 58

I spray my clothes with Ben's
They also make a deet spray for mosquitoes

Sir-diealot

Trying to remember if you mix it with purified water or distilled water, anyone happen to know? Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

sasquatch1

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 22, 2023, 12:01:33 AM
Trying to remember if you mix it with purified water or distilled water, anyone happen to know? Thanks.
Whatever comes out the sink works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lcmacd 58

Almost done with Illinois season .... 1 more tag to fill .... calling for another gentleman this morning.... so far so good on the tick situation....permethrin works

GobbleGitr

I am a believer in getting the concentrate and doing the dip...last 6 weeks and 3 washings. After several years of dipping and zero ticks found on me, I am a strong advocate of permethrin dipping. I keep a spray bottle of it with me as well to spray around my ankles after putting boots on, and for hats, etc. Keep those disease carrying bloodsuckers at bay!

krm944

Quote from: krm944 on April 19, 2023, 07:38:17 AM
So far this year the permethrin soaked clothes are keeping ticks at bay but not the mosquitoes! In years past I haven't noticed mosquitoes that much as I felt the clothing kept them at bay.

An update to this- I had sprayed my clothes down with the aerosol Sawyers permethrin. I gave it what I thought was a good spray. After a couple washings and some mosquitoes I decided to spray down with some that I mixed myself- 10% permethrin and water added.  NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE!!!!

bbcoach

An update to this- I had sprayed my clothes down with the aerosol Sawyers permethrin. I gave it what I thought was a good spray. After a couple washings and some mosquitoes I decided to spray down with some that I mixed myself- 10% permethrin and water added.  NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE!!!!
[/quote]
If you mix 10% permethrin with 19 oz. of water, you are getting the same concentration as Sawyers (.5%) solution.  With the 10% permethrin, you can mix it to any strength solution you like.  If you buy a quart of 10%, you will save a ton of money over Sawyers in the can.  A 18 oz can of Sawyers will run you $11 at Wally World and a quart of 10% can be had for about $30 that will make (32) 20 oz bottles.  Or you can mix it stiffer if you prefer.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleGitr on April 22, 2023, 08:38:21 AM
I am a believer in getting the concentrate and doing the dip...last 6 weeks and 3 washings. After several years of dipping and zero ticks found on me, I am a strong advocate of permethrin dipping. I keep a spray bottle of it with me as well to spray around my ankles after putting boots on, and for hats, etc. Keep those disease carrying bloodsuckers at bay!
Not trying to be insulting in any way shape or form, but to me something would seem like a waste cuz it would be so much left over and a big bucket or whatever you soaked it and that would be wasted. I don't know maybe it's me cuz I'm messed up and gimpy but it wouldn't seem like it would be easy to funnel back into the container. I can't put things the way I used to though.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 22, 2023, 02:56:51 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 22, 2023, 12:01:33 AM
Whatever comes out the sink works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Okay thank you, I honestly thought you were supposed to use distilled or purified water for whatever reason though I can't remember why I just remember having to go out and buy a gallon of whichever at one point in time to mix it.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

John Koenig: