OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Done with 7's

Started by jfair, May 17, 2011, 01:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfair

Just passing on my experience so take it easy on me.  Shot one this morning at 43 yards with 2 1/4 7's.  I do not like to shoot that far, but this was his third time coming back in and I was getting soaked in a rainstorm.  First shot rolled him, second was flying (I think I missed), third shot connected and he went down.   A 50 yard chase through the woods and a spur gash to the hand, I got my bird.  I cannot understand what happened.  I found 15 or so pellets in the breast and multiple hits to the head.  Most pellets in the breast were half way through the meat some just under the skin.  I skinned the head to satisfy my own curiosity and found 6 pellets.  Many more pass throughs.  I know many of you guys feel comfortable at 50 and 60 yard.  Not out of my gun.  No way.

OK.  Let the beating commence.

Longshanks

Great information for those wanting to take 50-60yd shots.  Even at 40-50 if you dont hit him just right you are in for a rodeo.  Up to 40 yds and its "for sure kill distance".  Guess i will take a beating with you on this one. :laugh:

P.S.  What are those lot #'s and do you want to sell them. :z-guntootsmiley:

bird

My personal belief is that patterning on paper in ideal conditions and using the same shell in a hunting environment without ideal conditions are two completely different situations and this is what many hunters are running into this year while afield.  My beliefs is that the #7's just can't hold up the patterns in "all" hunting conditions.  Throw in some wind and rain and those #7's just don't hold together and their patterns will diminish quickly.

bird

stinkpickle

Yep...ya better send them to me, so I may dispose of them properly.

Longshanks

Quote from: bird on May 17, 2011, 02:02:29 PM
My personal belief is that patterning on paper in ideal conditions and using the same shell in a hunting environment without ideal conditions are two completely different situations and this is what many hunters are running into this year while afield.  My beliefs is that the #7's just can't hold up the patterns in "all" hunting conditions.  Throw in some wind and rain and those #7's just don't hold together and their patterns will diminish quickly.

bird

Excellant point. What can be done on paper is much more difficult in the field. I have had pattern problems with 6's as well in adverse conditions in the midwest. High wind, rain, etc.

sugarray

Then what are your takes on TSS?  We are shooting #8 and #9 shot in our loads.

Longshanks

Quote from: sugarray on May 17, 2011, 02:08:39 PM
Then what are your takes on TSS?  We are shooting #8 and #9 shot in our loads.

Dont have any experience with that..

jfair

I guess I will eat some crow.  I always say I won't shoot at 45 yards, and I thought he was 45 when I shot.  I bought into the hype, ran it through my head and made a bad choice.  Won't happen again.  I just can't figure how all these claims of birds at 50, 60, and 70 are true.  Or are we just not hearing about all the ones that got away.  

Lot #300525 and there are two shells left.  Bought two boxes.   One for patterning and the other, well, you know.

Longshanks

Quote from: jfair on May 17, 2011, 02:20:12 PM
I guess I will eat some crow.  I always say I won't shoot at 45 yards, and I thought he was 45 when I shot.  I bought into the hype, ran it through my head and made a bad choice.  Won't happen again.  I just can't figure how all these claims of birds at 50, 60, and 70 are true.  Or are we just not hearing about all the ones that got away.  

Lot #300525 and there are two shells left.  Bought two boxes.   One for patterning and the other, well, you know.

Yea i think you are right, the only stories we hear about those long shots are the successful ones.  Ive heard guys talk about killing turkeys at 50+ yards with lead and there is no telling how many turkeys have been lost at that distance with lead. Oh well,  thats a fun story to tell, good luck with the rest of the season and i would buy those shells if it were more but the shipping wouldnt be worth it for two i dont think. Happy hunting :fud:

fountain

I'll buy the last two.

davisd9

Well I am not for the 7s either.  Traded a box for Mag Blends.  Never even patterned them but just could not bring myself to shoot them.  When I bought them I just wanted to see what they would do, pattern wise.  Bird brought up excellent points about weather conditions and such small shot.  Stuff I knew but just never thought about, thanks.  If that is what people want to shoot then more power to them.  Not taking a jab but a lot of people that have talked the hype up on them have posted more pictures of patterns and not many of birds on the ground.   I shot the 6s this year and was happy with the results but I think, if the patterns are good, that I will be switching to mag blends next April.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

TauntoHawk

yeah you dont hear about the miss and birds that got away.. Ive ran into a few guys who told be about a 56 and 65yd kills with the cheap remington nitro lead #5's... but later in conversation the one guy mentioned how he'd missed a few times early in the week on other birds.. getting lucky happens with any shell and at long range theres no shell thats going to give garentees

all hevi can offer is good pattern with better than lead energy.. not 100% kills or necessarily much longer "appropriate" range. I trust my Hevi but Im not about to start flinging shells at 50 and 60 just because i can get shot out there.. let me tell you i trust them at 30 and 40 though

shot my bird at 33yds this year with hevi 7's and he was DEAD no flop, no wing beat, no movement... took at least 50-60 pellets the head and neck. Also like the Megblends they patterned really even for me
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dawei

Quote from: jfair on May 17, 2011, 01:37:08 PM
Just passing on my experience so take it easy on me.  Shot one this morning at 43 yards with 2 1/4 7's.  I do not like to shoot that far, but this was his third time coming back in and I was getting soaked in a rainstorm.  First shot rolled him, second was flying (I think I missed), third shot connected and he went down.   A 50 yard chase through the woods and a spur gash to the hand, I got my bird.  I cannot understand what happened.  I found 15 or so pellets in the breast and multiple hits to the head.  Most pellets in the breast were half way through the meat some just under the skin.  I skinned the head to satisfy my own curiosity and found 6 pellets.  Many more pass throughs.  I know many of you guys feel comfortable at 50 and 60 yard.  Not out of my gun.  No way.

OK.  Let the beating commence.
Just my $0.02, take it for what it is worth; but I bet if you were shooting #4 or #5Pb the bird would have stayed down and not tried to escape. Admittedly I am a big fan of using #4 and#5Pb for all of my turkey hunting. The Merriams gobbler I shot on 04/19 was the longest shot I have ever taken, 42 yards. I used Winchester® Supreme® 1 5/16oz of #4 (20ga). Necropsy revealed 19 pellets in the head and neck. Bird was dead before his beak hit the dirt!

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

HogBiologist

The problem with Pb #4 #5 is the lack of density in the pattern.  Yes, they will hit as hard or harder.  But you get greater density of patterns with #6 and #7 HS.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

WyoHunter

It's good you're in decent shape to catch that gobbler. What type of sights do you have on your gun? In my 20 ga. and 12 ga. the farthest shot with 7's has been at 48 yards and all birds have flopped once or twice and died right there. I love Hevi-13 7's and have complete confidence in them. From the hits he took he must have been one tough bird! 
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!