OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bipod for the rig :D or :(

Started by NothingLeFT, May 16, 2011, 11:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NothingLeFT

Saw pictures of one members gun that had i big ol' bipod on it. Im wondering if anyone else thinks its a good idea?? I have been in situations where i had to hold my gun up for 5-10 minute periods and my arm was just rubber. Wondering if anyone has one on their gun and how much it helps. Pros/cons of it. , The added weight. Things like that. Might go down that road.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

NothingLeFT

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

redarrow

If you look close at the pic,I don't think it is attached to the gun.

njdevilsb

I don't have one currently, and I don't really know if it's something I'd want full time or not.  I absolutely needed it this year though.  I had 4 jakes and 2 longbeards coming up from behind me so I got the gun up.  The longbeards came out where I couldn't shoot them, but I never had an opportunity to put the gun down with those 6 and 2 hens within 30 yards, and 2 more gobblers at about 70 yards.  It was about a 15 minute hold before the ones at 70 yards finally came in and I got the strutter of the 2.  My arm was shaking and tingling, and it was tight and sore for the rest of the day.  I tend to want to keep my turkey rigs pretty simple.  The less I have on them, the better.

gophert

I have the following shooting stick attached to my 10 yr olds 20 ga.  It folds up and attaches to the barrel when not in use and is absolutely the best thing for her.  The only downside is that it is not as quickly adjusted as the Primos Shooting stick.  The reason I went with this model is because she had trouble keeping the gun on the primos model. (it kept leaning from side to side)  This model is very steady.  It is also very easily detached if you are in a situation where you don't need it.  Hope this helps. 

http://www.basspro.com/Hunters-Specialties%C2%AE-VPod-Gun-Rest-Model-00614/product/91442/-1330422

Gobble!

I also use the vpod that gophert is recommending. It's the second best product HS Strut has ever made. Second the the squealing hen of course.

Gobble!

heres the vpod on my gun. The weight isnt too bad but its definately a difference.

gophert

Quote from: Gobble! on May 17, 2011, 08:33:42 AM
It's the second best product HS Strut has ever made. Second the the squealing hen of course.

You speak truth!!!!!! :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

lohaus

I've got the vpod on my 870 with the shur shot stock.  I love that thing.  When sitting I lower the vpod, adjust it, hook the butt on my vest and rest the hand in the shur shot.  If I here something coming then I just kind of lean the gun forward and kick the vpod forward to get into my regular position.  I've also used it lying in prone position for 30 minutes without a problem.

Skeeterbait

I don't personally want anything hanging off my gun or my gun sitting on anything that could fall, drag the ground and make noise, or hang up when I swing the gun.  It probably will work well in some terrains where you can spot a bird coming in from a good distance and have time to adjust.  But in the timber I hunt I can't predict well where a bird is going to pop into view, dead ahead, to the left, to the right.  All I can predict is that when I see him he is already going to be close.  Too many times I have had to quickly swing on a bird as he passed behind a tree or spun his fanned tail toward me.  I will just let the gun sit on my raised knee.