OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Browning 12 gauge 3 1/2" "NWTF"  (Read 4221 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Browning 12 gauge 3 1/2" "NWTF"
« on: June 03, 2020, 10:02:51 AM »
This was the first season since I purchased my Bps 12 gauge NWTF in 2011 that I did not take long beards with it.I used others and only carried it a few times.I have been shooting Winchester supreme in 3.5" and Winchester long beard 3.5' 5's with a kicks gt .675 since I bought it.

I decided the last few weeks that I was going to transform it a little bit for this fall and the future.I have shot all but three long beards using truglo fiber optics(peep sight) on this gun.I used a scope to kill one a few years back and a reflex sight to kill my long beards two years back.

I started by attaching my new custom sling that I had built for me as the sling I bought for the gun when I bought it was done.

I then started thinking about testing a new choke and shell combo so I looked around and had it narrowed down to a Pure gold or Jebs. I ended up buying a .655 Jebs for it.

I also ordered a few boxes of hevi shot mag blends 5-6-7's in 3.5" and a I will be ordering a few boxes of Winchester long beard magnums in 3.5" 6's and a box of 3.5" Federal tss heavyweight 7's to test.

I then mounted my Bushnell 1.75-4x32 with circle plex in mobu to match the gun. I am planning on shooting,patterning and fine tuning each shotgun over the next few months on the weekends.

I am usually not sentimental but i do feel kind of bad that i did not hunt with this gun much as it is my favorite-go to turkey hunting shotgun and has always done me well.I feel very confident in the woods with this cannon by my side.

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Browning 12 gauge 3 1/2" "NWTF"
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 10:25:12 AM »
It's hard to hunt with every gun a person has. I got a couple of excellent turkey guns but still end up grabbing my old Remington 1100 12 gauge.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 10:36:20 AM »
I understand,I only carried a 20 gauge a few times this year,5 others just sat in the locker while I shot and hunted with numerous 12's instead.I like buying and setting them up as much as anything.I could use any gun to kill a long beard.I enjoy all aspects of "hunting" not just pulling the trigger on an animal.I have always taken this gun over any other one,I even pulled it out the last morning and took it,no luck.I stopped at home,ate breakfast and grabbed another gun and went and killed a long beard within 5 minutes of getting setup.I am usually lucky with this gun in the hands.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 12:35:17 PM »
I get it. I have guns strictly set up for turkey. I also like setting them up and patterning. That is part of the fun. Each year I try to use different guns, but I have a go to SBE steady grip turkey. Love it. I promise myself to try my Bottomland 870 I just set up on next years opener. In the meantime, I catch myself taking them out to look at and reminisce.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 07:08:22 AM »
I have ordered a patternmaster code black choke, another sling,more custom for this gun and I am going to order another base and vortex venom this week for this setup. I am looking for another "nwtf" browning in a semi,so I am going to go ahead and get another base and add the choke to the others I have. The choke will be arriving March 20-24th.

I spent the last week taking this gun apart and cleaning it and lubing it up. It will be in my hands opening morning April 25th. It is still my favorite turkey shotgun ever built, I wish I would have added the semi when they were being built,now I cant find a 3.5" to buy,someday I will.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 07:41:20 AM »
Sounds like a beauty....
“Solo hunter”

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 10:18:50 PM »
I went and picked up a Browning Silver NWTF 24" 3" in Break up Infinity, Leupold 1-4 shotgun scope,base and Pattern master code black,Its been used for a few years turkey hunting but is well looked after and I have been looking for awhile for this gun. If weather permits,I am going to touch off a few shells from a few guns this weekend.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 06:24:32 AM »
Nice find...rare one there
“Solo hunter”

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 07:37:49 AM »
-18 right now, the drive to the other small town 40 minutes away last night was an eye opener,huge snowstorm and 80 mph winds,coming straight at me from the north. It was worth the drive though and I am planning on going this afternoon and shooting a few guns but weather looks really nice for next weekend so I will be spending all next Saturday patterning the brood.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 07:51:35 AM »
You bet, wow, -18. Frozen turkey
“Solo hunter”

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 08:01:34 AM »
-18 right now, the drive to the other small town 40 minutes away last night was an eye opener,huge snowstorm and 80 mph winds,coming straight at me from the north. It was worth the drive though and I am planning on going this afternoon and shooting a few guns but weather looks really nice for next weekend so I will be spending all next Saturday patterning the brood.

I finally am going to take my 1300 Buck & Beard out this year. I just put an Indian Creek .660, and topped it with a Nikon Monarch Red Dot. My godson found me this Red Dot brand new in the box in a local hardware store for $100 bucks. This is a real nice Red Dot, waterproof, 12 brightness settings, real well made...Gonna pattern it tomorrow if it warms a bit....
“Solo hunter”

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 08:40:43 AM »
I was planning on buying the gun,all the extras and then selling the scope and choke but the scope is just so tiny and nice and has the heavy duplex reticle I am going to use it, on this setup and as for the choke,I have one on the way and now Ill have two for my invector plus guns.

I am taking the new semi and going to test all the 3" turkey shells I have here in the patternmaster code black today.

-Federal 3rd degree 5-6-7
-Kent Tk7 #7
-Browning BXD #4
-Winchester Long beard 4,5,6"s
-Federal Tss #7

I like that gun and setup,hard to beat a 1300,I am hoping my turkey gun shopping is complete for awhile, but hey...you never know.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 08:48:02 AM »
I was planning on buying the gun,all the extras and then selling the scope and choke but the scope is just so tiny and nice and has the heavy duplex reticle I am going to use it, on this setup and as for the choke,I have one on the way and now Ill have two for my invector plus guns.

I am taking the new semi and going to test all the 3" turkey shells I have here in the patternmaster code black today.

-Federal 3rd degree 5-6-7
-Kent Tk7 #7
-Browning BXD #4
-Winchester Long beard 4,5,6"s
-Federal Tss #7

I like that gun and setup,hard to beat a 1300,I am hoping my turkey gun shopping is complete for awhile, but hey...you never know.

You have some great guns. Be safe, good luck patterning.
“Solo hunter”

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2021, 09:30:42 AM »
It was +16 Thursday,then dropped again like a boulder off a 100 ft cliff into a lake.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2021, 10:48:37 AM »
Wow :turkey2:
“Solo hunter”