turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

God and Turkeys

Started by Sir-diealot, May 31, 2020, 04:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I have over the years come to the conclusion that God and turkeys have a sense of humor. Today was the last day, ended at noon, was a nice day, started out a bit cool, had to grab some cool weather gear from one blind and then walk up to the blind I was going to be setting in for the day. Got a little sweaty so got chilled for a short time them threw on the cold weather stuff and things got nice and comfy.

Did a bit of calling, I think I heard one gobble but I am not quite sure as it was distant. I will tell you one thing, there have been a lot more songbirds this year than in previous years here and they really did make it hard to hear anything they were singing so loudly. Their songs have their own rewards though, very pretty songs and seeing them through the blind and all their different colors made for a nice morning.

I also had some deer to look at and that is always nice to see, such a pretty shade or reddish brown to their coats this Spring, I normally see that color in the Fall, the sun reflecting on it was very very pretty.

Most annoying part of the day started right around 10 in the morning, friends on the people on the adjoining property started blasting away with some kind of high powered rifle and did stop pretty much the rest of the morning making it had to have any success. Seemed any time they heard me call they would start shooting and shooting rapidly, I half think it was intentional, God forgive me but I told my GF I would like to take a baseball bat to their knees. (Must be the Italian part of me)

So it started to rain, it really was a nice light pretty rain with some sun and wind, nothing to make you stop hunting, though I did put away some of the more expensive calls I brought along. To be honest I really spent the first part of the morning trying to get something to come in with the calls I made of others calls with strikers I made or my calls with their strikers, something to connect me if I got one anyway.

The day ended and that started the whole breakdown and haul the gear to the vehicle routine, that went without any problem other than my knees protesting a bit near the end.

After I was all packed up I went up top to the upper half of the property and thanked the landowner that was there and seeing he was mowing offed to help if he would show me how to use the equipment, he said he was all said and was talked a bit and he told me where they were going to plant the seeds I had gotten them last season, some kind of blend with clover, beats, oats, and other stuff, I figure the let me hunt it is the least I can do is throw them a few bags of seed, to me that is part of being a sportsman. after we talked he took me up and showed me the upper half of the property, man the woods up there are incredible, I wish I could hunt that part of the property, I had tried to find a tree I could sit against the other day on the lower half of the property but there were not any good ones that would cover my back, and afford me a field of view. I think early next Spring that will work out though, just has to be when my body says it is okay to do like I did the other day. I blind hunt because I have to but when my body lets me hunt from the ground I really do enjoy it, even if it is just for a little bit. They really do have a nice setup there, all kinds of well built stands in well planned out areas and scenery to die for if you love to look at the woods and what is going on there like I do.

So as I said hunting ended at noon and after he and I finished talking and the grand tour I started to drive out the trail to go home passing where I had been sitting all morning and what do I see but a big ol' Tom walking around right where I could have shot him all morning. I figure God and the turkey were laughing at me, it is not the first or even second time they had mocked me in such a way. You know the have a warped sense of humor to pull that on me, I think that is why I like them both so much, I have a warped sense of humor as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

3bailey3

funny Sir! at lest you know you have one to look forward to next season.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 31, 2020, 04:51:44 PM
I have over the years come to the conclusion that God and turkeys have a sense of humor. Today was the last day, ended at noon, was a nice day, started out a bit cool, had to grab some cool weather gear from one blind and then walk up to the blind I was going to be setting in for the day. Got a little sweaty so got chilled for a short time them threw on the cold weather stuff and things got nice and comfy.

Did a bit of calling, I think I heard one gobble but I am not quite sure as it was distant. I will tell you one thing, there have been a lot more songbirds this year than in previous years here and they really did make it hard to hear anything they were singing so loudly. Their songs have their own rewards though, very pretty songs and seeing them through the blind and all their different colors made for a nice morning.

I also had some deer to look at and that is always nice to see, such a pretty shade or reddish brown to their coats this Spring, I normally see that color in the Fall, the sun reflecting on it was very very pretty.

Most annoying part of the day started right around 10 in the morning, friends on the people on the adjoining property started blasting away with some kind of high powered rifle and did stop pretty much the rest of the morning making it had to have any success. Seemed any time they heard me call they would start shooting and shooting rapidly, I half think it was intentional, God forgive me but I told my GF I would like to take a baseball bat to their knees. (Must be the Italian part of me)

So it started to rain, it really was a nice light pretty rain with some sun and wind, nothing to make you stop hunting, though I did put away some of the more expensive calls I brought along. To be honest I really spent the first part of the morning trying to get something to come in with the calls I made of others calls with strikers I made or my calls with their strikers, something to connect me if I got one anyway.

The day ended and that started the whole breakdown and haul the gear to the vehicle routine, that went without any problem other than my knees protesting a bit near the end.

After I was all packed up I went up top to the upper half of the property and thanked the landowner that was there and seeing he was mowing offed to help if he would show me how to use the equipment, he said he was all said and was talked a bit and he told me where they were going to plant the seeds I had gotten them last season, some kind of blend with clover, beats, oats, and other stuff, I figure the let me hunt it is the least I can do is throw them a few bags of seed, to me that is part of being a sportsman. after we talked he took me up and showed me the upper half of the property, man the woods up there are incredible, I wish I could hunt that part of the property, I had tried to find a tree I could sit against the other day on the lower half of the property but there were not any good ones that would cover my back, and afford me a field of view. I think early next Spring that will work out though, just has to be when my body says it is okay to do like I did the other day. I blind hunt because I have to but when my body lets me hunt from the ground I really do enjoy it, even if it is just for a little bit. They really do have a nice setup there, all kinds of well built stands in well planned out areas and scenery to die for if you love to look at the woods and what is going on there like I do.

So as I said hunting ended at noon and after he and I finished talking and the grand tour I started to drive out the trail to go home passing where I had been sitting all morning and what do I see but a big ol' Tom walking around right where I could have shot him all morning. I figure God and the turkey were laughing at me, it is not the first or even second time they had mocked me in such a way. You know the have a warped sense of humor to pull that on me, I think that is why I like them both so much, I have a warped sense of humor as well.
Been there, suffered through that. At least you know there's one waiting for you for next year. Sounds like an enjoyable morning for the most part.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 31, 2020, 06:21:58 PM
funny Sir! at lest you know you have one to look forward to next season.
That is exactly what went through my mind.

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 31, 2020, 06:56:23 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 31, 2020, 04:51:44 PM

Been there, suffered through that. At least you know there's one waiting for you for next year. Sounds like an enjoyable morning for the most part.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Always a good time while turkey hunting.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Tom007

Great story. You have a great attitude, that is what it is all about. Pulling out the beauty of each day in the field. You are a true sportsman. Well done, be safe. That Old Tom will be waiting for your call next opening day, that's a sure bet....

Tom007

PS, hope you felt better today. Yesterday you said you were under the weather....

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Tom007 on May 31, 2020, 07:43:14 PM
Great story. You have a great attitude, that is what it is all about. Pulling out the beauty of each day in the field. You are a true sportsman. Well done, be safe. That Old Tom will be waiting for your call next opening day, that's a sure bet....
Thank you for the compliments. I forgot to mention that I did get to see 3 deer. I have been seeing and hearing so many more birds this year that I went out and bought this book and if I feel up to it tomorrow I may go down to the trail and see what I can find.
https://www.amazon.com/Birds-Field-Guide-Identification-Guides/dp/1591931088/ref=sr_1_1?crid=30B614CI9TICU&dchild=1&keywords=birds+of+new+york&qid=1590969206&s=books&sprefix=birds+of+New+York%2Cstripbooks%2C186&sr=1-1

I am also looking at this one on trees. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159193155X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I used to know a little about trees because the family business was firewood, man have I ever carried a lot of firewood. lol

Quote from: Tom007 on May 31, 2020, 07:51:56 PM
PS, hope you felt better today. Yesterday you said you were under the weather....
Yes, much better today, wish I could have stayed yesterday to see how that gobble would have played out.

John Koenig:

greencop01

Great story. Admire you for 'getting out there. You see I have a bad foot from a real bad broken ankle in 05. I got MERSA and all down hill for 4 years, most of that time on my back or on crutches. In 09 I knew I turned the corner when I shot a longbeard in CT. I know how it is. I still have problems and wear custom molded shoes. I shot a jake and 19 days later a longbeard with a set of hooks in a state forest in Plymouth Ma. this May. I rested my foot for 4 days after hunting but it was worth it. Like I said I admire you for getting out there. You can't hunt turkeys from a recliner. I salute you my friend. Norm.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: greencop01 on May 31, 2020, 09:45:02 PM
Great story. Admire you for 'getting out there. You see I have a bad foot from a real bad broken ankle in 05. I got MERSA and all down hill for 4 years, most of that time on my back or on crutches. In 09 I knew I turned the corner when I shot a longbeard in CT. I know how it is. I still have problems and wear custom molded shoes. I shot a jake and 19 days later a longbeard with a set of hooks in a state forest in Plymouth Ma. this May. I rested my foot for 4 days after hunting but it was worth it. Like I said I admire you for getting out there. You can't hunt turkeys from a recliner. I salute you my friend. Norm.
Thank you and mutual respect back at you. Hope we can both carry on.

John Koenig:

Old Timer

Enjoyed that story my friend. Your smelling the roses! I have had similar things happen over the years and to be honest when i was younger i probably would not of handled it well. But now i just shake my head and chuckle. Lord when you look down you must be getting a good laugh out of my situation. Then i thank Him for still being able to do it!

Tail Feathers

Turkeys have watches and calendars.  I've seen too much to not believe that. :toothy9:

I went to my lease this evening.  I wanted to shoot my rifle some and then I drove around looking for some pigs to shoot.  They often come out along the lease roads and pipelines in the early evening.
Didn't see any pigs but I saw two toms and three hens in a pipeline.  I yelped with my mouth and a longbeard broke into strut.
I didn't see any poults, but the grass was over a foot tall so a bunch of new ones could have been with them.  I saw another hen about a half mile away and no poults with her either, but she was at the edge of the woods.

All in all, a great day in the woods, just like Sirdiealot.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Tom007

Amen...we are all lucky......

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Old Timer on May 31, 2020, 10:03:21 PM
Enjoyed that story my friend. Your smelling the roses! I have had similar things happen over the years and to be honest when i was younger i probably would not of handled it well. But now i just shake my head and chuckle. Lord when you look down you must be getting a good laugh out of my situation. Then i thank Him for still being able to do it!

Great attitude to have, I know I am grateful my doctor did not give up on me and kept trying things on me until we found something that worked.

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 31, 2020, 10:57:17 PM
Turkeys have watches and calendars.  I've seen too much to not believe that. :toothy9:

I went to my lease this evening.  I wanted to shoot my rifle some and then I drove around looking for some pigs to shoot.  They often come out along the lease roads and pipelines in the early evening.
Didn't see any pigs but I saw two toms and three hens in a pipeline.  I yelped with my mouth and a longbeard broke into strut.
I didn't see any poults, but the grass was over a foot tall so a bunch of new ones could have been with them.  I saw another hen about a half mile away and no poults with her either, but she was at the edge of the woods.

All in all, a great day in the woods, just like Sirdiealot.

"Turkeys have watches and calendars" I say this all the time myself. Deer too but I do not think theirs are nearly as accurate as a turkeys. Now I start fishing and woodchucking for the summer. Going to keep working with my shoulder and hope I can shoot a bow by this October 1 for the beginning of deer season. Only bummer is I am not allowed to bow hunt the property I turkey hunt on, I can hunt them with rifle but not with bow there.

Quote from: Tom007 on June 01, 2020, 06:30:30 AM
Amen...we are all lucky......
More so than we often realize.

John Koenig:

2eagles

You have a great attitude. It's being able to participate, not always killing a turkey. My season wasn't what I hoped, but I got out and had fun in spite of my back acting up on me. It was so bad on one of my last hunts, my temper got the best of me when I was taking down my Double Bull blind and the rods got jammed together. Me, angry, stomped on the blind and ripped a big one down the side. I couldn't walk upright the 3/4 mile back to my truck. I'm getting PT three times a week now and am almost back to my normal. Looking forward to next year.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 2eagles on June 01, 2020, 05:58:05 PM
You have a great attitude. It's being able to participate, not always killing a turkey. My season wasn't what I hoped, but I got out and had fun in spite of my back acting up on me. It was so bad on one of my last hunts, my temper got the best of me when I was taking down my Double Bull blind and the rods got jammed together. Me, angry, stomped on the blind and ripped a big one down the side. I couldn't walk upright the 3/4 mile back to my truck. I'm getting PT three times a week now and am almost back to my normal. Looking forward to next year.
Thank you very much. I was able to be out much more this year than last year, did have to come home twice, once because I was not feeling well and once as much as I hate to admit it I could not handle how cold it was and I was shaking so bad I could not have shot anything anyway. When I lost all the wait I got rid of all my old gear including my parka which was a Cabela's Super Slam Parka with Scent-Lok and I have regretted getting rid of it every winter since. They no longer make them but I have a search on ebay that lets me know when any come up, just have not found one my size yet. My old one was a 4xl and ended up looking like a dress on me by the time I sold it.
GEDC2321 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

Yea losing your temper when you are in pain is not a hard thing to do at all, when you have a bad temper to begin with it is even harder. I have been a jerk more than once while in pain and apologized but I still felt horrible even though I knew they genuinely accepted it. I have also gotten mad and kicked or hit something and hurt myself worse, that is never fun. I am still getting PT for my left shoulder, it should be twice a week but not it is once because of the wonderful thrills of government ins. I am also looking forward to net year, my camera is not much but I am going to see if I can go and take some pictures on the property.

John Koenig: